Tacoma 101.9 - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tacoma 101.9

Quote Originally Posted by Goldilocks94941 View Post
    I do have a big problem with the KKXA-AM's HD signal on 1520. My 2016 Subaru doesn't provide an option (that I can find, any way) to turn off the AM HD. So the signal pops in and out of HD while driving anywhere in the station's southern coverage lobe. So much that the contrasts as it tries to lock into HD over and over again makes it unlistenable.
    What you're experiencing is exactly why I took an aftermarket HDRadio out. IIRC the HDRadio patent holder forbids manufacturers from putting in any controls to enable/disable HD. Another shot in the foot IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hknewa View Post
    The now-defunct Sinocast was on FM 95.7 SCA in the 80s and 90s.
    Broadcasting in Cantonese 24/7 from their NY studio.
    Not to be nit-picky, but 95.7 (KLTX at the time), didn't have a foreign language aural SCA. We used the 67kHz subcarrier to test a pager watch data stream and experimented with the 92kHz subcarrier for use as an IFB for KJR remote broadcasts.

I believe when Wally owned the station in the late 70's, before Ackerley bought it, he may have been running a rental language SCA. Just not sure what that was.

I remember KSEA (now WOLF) used SCA for "readings for the blind". Programming would fire up in the evenings and would be dark by midnight.

Yes, that is the reason we use HD. I have no idea whether anyone is listening to the HD channel, but we have numerous listeners to our FM translators which are fed from the HD channels. If the listener can hear it on their FM radio, they have no idea that it's an "HD rebroadcast".
    KSWW (AC) "Sunny" 102.1-101.1 -- KJET (Hot AC) "The Jet" 105.7-93.1 -- KANY (Hot Country) "Bigfoot" 107.3 -- KBKW (NewsTalk) "The Talk of Grays Harbor" 1450-100.5 -- KSWW HD-2 (Classic Rock) "The Quake" 103.9 -- KSWW HD-3 "Timber Country" 94.7<br />Keeping radio locally-owned on the Washington Coast.<br />Still using a microphone - 6:10-7:00 am - www.kbkw.com

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEBOYBLUE View Post
    I remember KSEA (now WOLF) used SCA for "readings for the blind". Programming would fire up in the evenings and would be dark by midnight.
    Bonneville used to be really into the SCA stuff. They modified Panasonic table radios (the old-style woodgrain-cabinet table radios) so they could receive SCA just by pushing a button.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    Not to be nit-picky, but 95.7 (KLTX at the time), didn't have a foreign language aural SCA. We used the 67kHz subcarrier to test a pager watch data stream and experimented with the 92kHz subcarrier for use as an IFB for KJR remote broadcasts.

I believe when Wally owned the station in the late 70's, before Ackerley bought it, he may have been running a rental language SCA. Just not sure what that was.
    Thanks, can't really trust memory from 20+ years ago.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234