February 2017 Boston Radio Ratings. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2017 Boston Radio Ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomgsinger View Post
    Is it weird that a pirate is programmed like a legitimate music-formatted station? Or that B87.7 is actually at 87.75?
    ...ADVERTISEMENTS included! That includes a Geico ad I heard recently. Besides that, the station sounds like a regular, non-pirate, urban station. It has one advertisement where a young woman (sounds quite professional to me) is talking about getting other local businesses on the station for spots.

For a time Franken-stations were allowed (maybe not now though?) Put out a TV signal on the old analog Ch 6 and the sound portion shows up on FM radio. There was even a commercial sports station on in Chicago on 87.7

And now the FCC may not step in unless, say, an 88.1 is being stepped on.

Jamn 945 - 57.9k twitter followers..2.1 rating

Hot 969- 12.9k twitter followers..3.7 rating

B87- 23.2k twitter followers...
    ?rating

My point is a full Urban/ with the market cleared of JAMN clearly could compete...if it's doing this much underground...

Quote Originally Posted by Tomgsinger View Post
    ...ADVERTISEMENTS included! That includes a Geico ad I heard recently. Besides that, the station sounds like a regular, non-pirate, urban station. It has one advertisement where a young woman (sounds quite professional to me) is talking about getting other local businesses on the station for spots.
    How would a pirate get a national account like Geico for an advertiser? I remember The Touch airing local ads back in the day, but never anything like the Geico spots that are heard so often on licensed broadcasters and even on network feeds.

As for Franken FMs, I believe they're still out there, but no LPTV has ever been authorized for analog channel 6 in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    How would a pirate get a national account like Geico for an advertiser? I remember The Touch airing local ads back in the day, but never anything like the Geico spots that are heard so often on licensed broadcasters and even on network feeds.

As for Franken FMs, I believe they're still out there, but no LPTV has ever been authorized for analog channel 6 in Boston.
    GEICO's advertising is like the environment - unavoidable. Fercrissake, they even run spots on HD2s - or used to, anyway. They stopped just after Christmas. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
    GEICO's advertising is like the environment - unavoidable. Fercrissake, they even run spots on HD2s - or used to, anyway.
    I have also heard them on HD3's, but I don't remember whether Boston's only HD4, the ill-fated former 104.1 WBMX HD4, ever ran them.

All of these HD streams are run by licensed broadcasters. Still unanswered is my original question: How does a pirate get the account, unless maybe they're recording the ads from somewhere else and running them for nothing just to make the station sound legit?

I wonder if B87 has a way of estimating its listener ship and do they take those numbers to some sort of agency that connects them to advertisers. I have definitely heard an All State commercial (and of course PSAs). Are there legal implications for Gecio/AllState. I'm listening now out of enjoyment and curiosity. They certainly have fluid transitions and voice drops, furthermore, they have more local ads than the other three urban stations.

Many people on this board is upset that B87 is somehow damaging the integrity of the FM band but lets be honest, there is no integrity/sanctity left in modern, corporate, terrestrial radio. Most people who listen dont even know B87 is a pirate, its preset on many a car in Boston.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanTeenager View Post
    I wonder if B87 has a way of estimating its listener ship and do they take those numbers to some sort of agency that connects them to advertisers.
    Stations have sales staffs that approach advertisers to sell spots. A pirate can do this too... most local direct advertisers don't investigate whether a station is operating legally. There is no way to guess or estimate audience size if a station is not included in the ratings (and Nielsen does not rate pirate stations) so any audience estimates are going to be pure BS.

I have heard other pirate stations running "legit" ads. They record them off the air or off the Internet because they think it gives them cred with other advertisers.

They certainly have fluid transitions and voice drops, furthermore, they have more local ads than the other three urban stations.
    If you sell to local merchants really cheap, you will get many ads for local businesses. But at low rates, it proves nothing.

Many people on this board is upset that B87 is somehow damaging the integrity of the FM band but lets be honest, there is no integrity/sanctity left in modern, corporate, terrestrial radio. Most people who listen dont even know B87 is a pirate, its preset on many a car in Boston.
    What they are lacking is a license. That is illegal, and illegal operations frequently interfere with legal ones, as well as with aircraft and community two-way radio services. They are a danger to others, and, like other things illegal, should be closed and fined.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 03-26-2017 at 04:50 PM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    How would a pirate get a national account like Geico for an advertiser?
    Likely they are running them for "image" without authorization... just like the lack of authorization to be on the air.

Prospective local accounts think, "if GEICO is advertising there, it must be a good station".
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast