• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why doesn't WMYI care about its own city of license and market?

WMYI is licensed to Hendersonville, and thus is part of the Asheville market. But yet, they seem to not even acknowledge they have listeners there, or have a signal! They focus exclusively on the Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson SC market. They (reportedly) don't have as good of a signal in Asheville as WESC, WSPA or WFBC, but Asheville still is under the 60 DBU contour. Additionally, they are the only Hot AC that can be heard in Asheville. So, why doesn't WMYI try to market towards both markets?

Star 104.3 used to be Hot AC, but since it's CHR now, you're saying Asheville needs a Hot AC.
Yes. It is the only Greenville station with a tower in NC, last time I checked. Additionally, Hendersonville is in the Asheville market, so the market **does** have a hot AC, and I did hear an advertisement for the "Henderson County Fair", but it's primary target is still Greenville-Spartanburg. I could see them targeting the DMA's (not the MSA) core (i.e. Both markets)

Until almost exactly 30 years ago, WMYI was actually a station IN Hendersonville operating as WKIT (Kit Kountry), a country format, and co-owned and co-located with the still-alive-and-well AM 1450 WHKP. Same argument (caring about its COL) could also apply to WTPT (formerly WBBO-FM), licensed to Forest City, NC, where it was actually located (along with AM 780 WWOL) until about 1990. Ultimate blame lies with the FCC and its deregulation that started in the 1980s. Small little towns (or just zip codes) are now basically the chess players that broadcaster's use to move their FMs around and eventually get them into the metropolitan areas. I mean do the 1000 or so residents of Gray Court know that they have a BIG FM that really is theirs (legally) - WSSL, 100.5? And the 900-ish residents of Old Fort (NC) - they have one of the most powerful FMs in the southeast in WKSF (99.9 Kiss Country). I'm sure they all know that it's the very reason they have that extra spring in their step when they hop out of bed each day and that extra reason to live. Sorry for my mild rant - hope you distinguish my sarcasm from seriousness :)

Last edited:
WMYI is licensed to Hendersonville, and thus is part of the Asheville market. But yet, they seem to not even acknowledge they have listeners there, or have a signal! They focus exclusively on the Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson SC market. They (reportedly) don't have as good of a signal in Asheville as WESC, WSPA or WFBC, but Asheville still is under the 60 DBU contour. Additionally, they are the only Hot AC that can be heard in Asheville. So, why doesn't WMYI try to market towards both markets?

Greenville / Spartanburg is Nielsen market #59 with a 12+ Population: 941,100 CSA (combined statistical area) is 1.4 million.

Asheville is Nielsen #160 with a 12+ Population: 294,000 and a CSA of 398,000.

The only cluster making enough agency sales to justify buying ratings in Asheville is iHeart / CC. WYMI is an iHeart / CC station. I am sure if someone in Asheville wanted to pay market 59 rates and get market #160 results, iHeart would make accommodations.

Until almost exactly 30 years ago, WMYI was actually a station IN Hendersonville operating as WKIT (Kit Kountry), a country format, and co-owned and co-located with the still-alive-and-well AM 1450 WHKP. Same argument (caring about its COL) could also apply to WTPT (formerly WBBO-FM), licensed to Forest City, NC, where it was actually located (along with AM 780 WWOL) until about 1990. Ultimate blame lies with the FCC and its deregulation that started in the 1980s. Small little towns (or just zip codes) are now basically the chess players that broadcaster's use to move their FMs around and eventually get them into the metropolitan areas. I mean do the 1000 or so residents of Gray Court know that they have a BIG FM that really is theirs (legally) - WSSL, 100.5? And the 900-ish residents of Old Fort (NC) - they have one of the most powerful FMs in the southeast in WKSF (99.9 Kiss Country). I'm sure they all know that it's the very reason they have that extra spring in their step when they hop out of bed each day and that extra reason to live. Sorry for my mild rant - hope you distinguish my sarcasm from seriousness :)

COL’s use to mean a lot in the early days of aviation. AM radio stations were used to navigate especially at night. The navigator would pick up 2 stations and triangulate his position. * The old Clear channel AM stations (not iHeart formally Clear Channel broadcaster) were often used at night. Then a station ID was very important. The radio stations in Hawaii were ordered off the air right after the Pearl Harbor Attack in fear the Japanese would use them to navigate a return for another attack. Now with VOR and GPS AM stations are not much of a factor in aircraft navigation.

IMHO now with the state of radio: COL’s should be assigned by CSAs (combined statistical area). If a station is servicing and selling a market and that’s important then make that city / area part of the on air slogan / name. Stations “hide a COLs” all the time. Legal Station ID’s really don serve any really purpose except to keep the FCC happy.

*https://timeandnavigation.si.edu/navigating-air/challenges/overcoming-challenges/radio-navigation
** http://encyclopedia.densho.org/December_7,_1941/

Last edited:
Yes. It is the only Greenville station with a tower in NC, last time I checked. Additionally, Hendersonville is in the Asheville market, so the market **does** have a hot AC, and I did hear an advertisement for the "Henderson County Fair", but it's primary target is still Greenville-Spartanburg. I could see them targeting the DMA's (not the MSA) core (i.e. Both markets)
I am wondering if Asheville has a hot AC anyway. Mix 96.5 describes its music as "hits" and while some of it is "soft" a lot of it sounds like at least the adult side of CHR.

You now start losing WMYI in Cleveland and Gaston counties because WFNZ in Charlotte has the translator station on 102.5 which is a simulcast of 610AM. I am not a fan of interfering signals from translators and LPFMs. Also WFNZ is simulcast on WLNK-107.9HD3.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom