Mystery English talk on 1300
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery English talk on 1300

Mystery English talk on 1300

I'm in Guanacaste Costa Rica on vacation and had a few minutes to check the AM band around sunset (6pl local, 0000-0030 UTC. Only English I heard was a weak KVNS 1700 ond a quite strong Mark Levin show on 1300. Couldn't wait around for an ID, but was armchair level with no fading. Any idea what this is?

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthangjim View Post
    I'm in Guanacaste Costa Rica on vacation and had a few minutes to check the AM band around sunset (6pl local, 0000-0030 UTC. Only English I heard was a weak KVNS 1700 ond a quite strong Mark Levin show on 1300. Couldn't wait around for an ID, but was armchair level with no fading. Any idea what this is?
    There are two directionals pointed towards Costa Rica... one is KAKC in Oklahome, with a single main lobe steered that way. The other is news / talk WFFG in Marathon, FL. Sends a primary lobe right at Costa Rica.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

There seem to be quite a few U.S. ex-pats living in Costa Rica. Is there any English radio or TV based there?

WFFG is 2.5 U3 with a 240 degree spaced two tower array. It has four fairly large lobes. The East and West Major Lobes are largest. The one to the South is somewhat smaller, but still substantial. The Format seems right, but can't find Mark Levin listed in the schedules I found. And no, it's not WOOD "circling the earth" like the engineers at WKBW used to claim. They have Dave Ramsey in that time slot. WOOD has a huge major lobe rivaling Class As/I-Bs though, but in the wrong direction. KKOL has Ramsey but the rest is Business Talk. Also KKOL has a huge major lobe in the wrong shorter great circle direction.
    Last edited by Schroedingers Cat; 03-15-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

There are two directionals pointed towards Costa Rica... one is KAKC in Oklahome, with a single main lobe steered that way. The other is news / talk WFFG in Marathon, FL. Sends a primary lobe right at Costa Rica.
    Thanks David. WFFG doesn't have a website, but is listed as an affiliate on Levin's site so must be them. Tulsa is sports.

We are in northwest CR, remote from the capital and pretty unpopulated. There may be English stations in San Jose, but haven't heard any here. During the day, the strongest stations here are mostly Nicaragua to the north. We're out on a point here so Managua is mostly water path.

I'm surprised not to hear more US stations here, but the band is quite crowded.

I remember hearing and QSLing TIFC, an evangelical shortwaver from Costa Rica that had a significant amount of English programming, in the '70s. The SW signal is long gone, but does the ministry still have a MW presence, and does it still do English?

Doesn't look like much on AM in Costa Rica, so it's good for DX. WFFG radiates about the equivalent of 3.1 kW @ 190 degrees true toward San Jose, Costa Rica, based on Class B minimum efficiency. The Levin site doesn't show any affiliates outside the US, and WFFG is the only affiliate on 1300 that I could find.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat View Post
    Doesn't look like much on AM in Costa Rica, so it's good for DX. WFFG radiates about the equivalent of 3.1 kW @ 190 degrees true toward San Jose, Costa Rica, based on Class B minimum efficiency. The Levin site doesn't show any affiliates outside the US, and WFFG is the only affiliate on 1300 that I could find.
    The last list I saw had under 60 stations on AM in the whole country, with a dozen of those in the 1500 to 1600 range with just 250 watts for local community service.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat View Post
    WFFG radiates about the equivalent of 3.1 kW @ 190 degrees true toward San Jose, Costa Rica, based on Class B minimum efficiency.
    WFFG began with four towers at their site, but got rid of two.
    I wish they had more sticks so they could control (steer) their deep nulls,
    but do away with those unnecessary north and south lobes that go nowhere.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

The last list I saw had under 60 stations on AM in the whole country, with a dozen of those in the 1500 to 1600 range with just 250 watts for local community service.
    There are 98 records for 49 stations in the Region II Database, accessed through AMQuery using the TI callsign designation. This does not imply that the stations are still operating. TIGL is shown as 1 kW Day and 1 kW Night, 1 U1 in concise WRTH/DX nomenclature. It is the only allotment in Costa Rica on 1300. I'll look in my most recent copy of WRTH but it's pretty old.

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/a...2=&EW=W&size=9

WRTH 2006 shows TILC 1300 Cartago with 7.5 kW. The email address shows

radiolafuentemusical@hotmail.com

This page has more info. It says nothing about English, though from what I have read, there are some US business people (also news accounts of legal problems) operating in Costa Rica, so who knows.

http://radiostationworld.com/locatio...adio_stations/

Format shows Music, News, Sports.
    Last edited by Schroedingers Cat; 03-15-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast