• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WMGK broadening its horizons

Heard them play collective soul and their song shine, which is a grunge/ alt staple. not classic rock as we know it. interesting to the format cater to the ones who were teens in the early to mid 90s now, since they're gonna be the new audience for classic rock. reckon we'll see this be a trend soon across most classic rock stations.

i guess soon they'll add artists like nirvana, green day and red hot chilli peppers soon.

I hope not. That's not classic rock in my opinion. If they move to that music they are clearly another format and there are already enough stations with that general type of format. :)

I hope not. That's not classic rock in my opinion. If they move to that music they are clearly another format and there are already enough stations with that general type of format. :)

To put it bluntly, your opinion doesn't matter. And I don't mean for that to sound a-holeish.

Just like Classic Hits, Classic Rock has a target demographic. And as the older end of the demographic ages out, the younger end of the demographic is introduced. So eventually, what people consider "classic rock" staples will eventually get phased out and songs from the 90s and newer will get added to grab the younger end of the demographic. It's smart programming. If all you do is stick to what's currently played on Classic Rock... your demographics will get older and older, and harder and harder to sell ads to. (Like how Adult Standards stations are nearly impossible to sell.)

WMGK flirting with the 90s is no surprise.

I'm glad 102.9 is finally adding newer tracks. I enjoy songs that go back to the 60's, but the share of 70's music was really getting old. I felt that they could add more 80's and up to post grunge 90's tracks. I might actually listen to the station for a longer period of time. Definitely a great move.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom