• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

69 Year Old Dan Rea....Struggling to Sound Relevant

Wow, is that ever confusing!

"Majority" of shares, but not
"super voting" shares, giving them (CBS) a
"minority" on the board, while someone else (Field & family)
"controls" the company ("new" Entercom).

A common strategy when a closely held private company goes public is to create two classes of shares. Often the shares sold "on the market" will be one share = one vote, but the shares held by the original founders or owners will be many votes to each share. So if the super-shares each had 10 votes, you could have a total of 10,000,000 shares... one million super shares and 9 million regular ones, and the supershare holders would still control the company.

How relevant does he have to be and to whom?

Radio listening after 6 PM falls off to near nothing.

His P1 is 55 to dead.

It doesn't matter what WBZ claims for coverage in their glory days, there is no way they are covering 38 states and parts of Canada and are listenable for more than a few seconds at a time outside of MAYBE 200 miles from Hull MA when they are on the main box.

All the sales execs care about it the local market, I'm sure any national spots are placed from higher up in the company, so it is not a selling point that some farmer in Indiana is listening to WBZ when he is slopping the hogs.

If he was not making them money he would be gone, and that is all that is relevant at this point.

ooops I spoke too soon, seems someone in Costa Rica is sending WBZ a QSL card , picked up this morning.

That's an occasional rare occurrence, depending on atmospherics, patience and DXing skill as well as a tolerance for interference and static.

From NE Ohio many years back, I heard 250 watt Hawaiian stations, and relatively low powered stations from New Zealand and Australia as well as Argentina, Algeria, Poland and the like. But the listening was not for entertainment but for the challenge.

BTW, the listener to a distant station sends (if anyone still does that) a reception report. The station sends a QSL card or letter of verification. It's still an active hobby.

It doesn't matter what WBZ claims for coverage in their glory days, there is no way they are covering 38 states and parts of Canada and are listenable for more than a few seconds at a time outside of MAYBE 200 miles from Hull MA when they are on the main box.

While the old 1-A clear channel stations are protected up to 600 miles out, we know that reception at that distance is subject to noise, fading and interference. The main reason to have 50 kw today is to cover the local market with a signal that penetrates buildings and is louder than the man-made noise level.

the man made noise is a killer, I can't even drive down the street without the AM band being unlistenable because of man made interference that was not there 30 years ago.

granted the AM sections of most car radios are absolute crap, but the noise floor is nowhere near the floor anymore.

That's an occasional rare occurrence, depending on atmospherics, patience and DXing skill as well as a tolerance for interference and static.

From NE Ohio many years back, I heard 250 watt Hawaiian stations, and relatively low powered stations from New Zealand and Australia as well as Argentina, Algeria, Poland and the like. But the listening was not for entertainment but for the challenge.

BTW, the listener to a distant station sends (if anyone still does that) a reception report. The station sends a QSL card or letter of verification. It's still an active hobby.

In my collection I have a QSL card from WBZ.....Mind you, I'm only 75 miles away, but when you're 14 years old and DXing on a Hallicrafters S-76.....it's a big deal!!:)
BTW....the WBZ card bears the "Group W" emblem -- they were owned by Westinghouse Broadcasting back then......

BTW....the WBZ card bears the "Group W" emblem -- they were owned by Westinghouse Broadcasting back then......

“The spirit of New England, WBZ Boston, Group-W, Westinghouse Broadcasting, [BEEP], itʼs __ oʼclock.” :cool:

“The spirit of New England, WBZ Boston, Group-W, Westinghouse Broadcasting, [BEEP], itʼs __ oʼclock.” :cool:

Who's doing the news THIS hour???
Streeter Stewart? Art Gardner?? Dick Levitan?:D
And let's not forget....back in the "day".....it was: "WBZ/WBZA, Boston/Springfield......"!!

It would nice to see WBZ extends it's all news programming until midnight. That would make Dan Rea relevant

It would nice to see WBZ extends it's all news programming until midnight. That would make Dan Rea relevant

News stations that continue their news clock into the evening hours like WCBS, WINS and other...have the lowest ratings of the day in the evening hours when everyone is home sitting in front of the TV.

Doing talk in the evening, keeps the station relevant, and is much better that repeating the same news stories over and over again all night.

Plus talk in the evening allows for longer TSL than they would get with their news programming. (TSL that they need.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom