• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LPFM/Translator Observations

Now that the board is back, some recent observations on what's going on...

The new K287BQ translator is dominating 105.3 at my Cy-Fair location, simulcasting La Nueva 94.1. I can only hear KTWL in the occasional dead spot for the translator. KTWL's signal had been somewhat improved at my location since its transmitter move last fall. The latest K287BQ CP has it operating from the KUHF/Channels 8/13/26 twin tower facility; anyone in that area getting a solid signal on 105.3?

Meanwhile, the KLVL translator on 95.3 has been off the air the past 10 days or so. KEPH is once again weakly audible near downtown, and nothing disturbing KTTF at my Cy-Fair location. The Radio Dabang South Asian format had gone back to KLVL 1480 (presumably to get on the FM translator) and had also abandoned KMIC 1590, which is back to Radio Aleluya after several months with Radio Dabang.

While on 95.3, the (I think) unbuilt LPFM in Northeast Harris County now has a name: KZLD-LP. The KLVL translator has nulls in their direction as well as KEPH.

K299BV is still on 107.7. Nothing heard on 97.3. Their latest application asks for a non-directional signal on 97.3, a change from the N/S figure 8 pattern.

No sign yet of the KNTH translator on 103.3, which should be easily receivable at my location. However KJOJ was quite listenable Sunday afternoon while driving around.

Also no sign yet of the KSHJ translator on 96.1. Should also be easily receivable at my location.

As mentioned in another thread, it appears KZCV-LP 92.5 in Baytown is on the air. I'm too far away, and La Calle is solid on the frequency where I am.

KRUT is off the air again. Reminder that if you hear a Spanish language religious format on 94.9, it might be KPFG in Pasadena.

Hopefully LBC puts some different programming on 105.3.

Hopefully they start operating at legal power, too! The translator is causing enough interference to make KTWL unlistenable as far north as Hwy 30 and I-45 in Huntsville.

Hopefully they start operating at legal power, too! The translator is causing enough interference to make KTWL unlistenable as far north as Hwy 30 and I-45 in Huntsville.

105.3 is operating legally. Actually, its not even at legal power considering power out on the transmitter is at 140 watts, the loss on 1800 feet of coax, and that half the power goes to the horizontal plane (which does not count for determining total power ERP). In any event, yesterday it was filed for a move taking it downtown.

I don't have the foundation needed, on this particular facility, to argue the point. You would know better than I do. It does not, however, change the fact that it is causing interference to a full power, fully licensed C3 facility operating on the channel, that has been licensed there long before your compadre got a wild hair up his butt to move this stupid translator up from the coastline.

Mr. Henderson, if he's even half the man that I believe he is, will fight for KTWL's guaranteed contour protection. Make no mistake about it.

The "guaranteed contour protection" of KTWL as currently licensed barely reaches 99 west of Cypress. http://fccdata.org/?facid=21204 Under the new KTWL CP it wont even reach Tomball or Conroe. Remember, power pretty much becomes irrelevant once you have height. In any event, the height for the Houston translator will soon drop from 1800 feet to 980 feet. That will eliminate the cochannel interference.

I predict that they will move La Calle from 92.5 to 105.3. And maybe lease out 92.5 to an AM station.

It doesn't work like that, mrtejano. KCOH is being leased to feed K223CW. In order for "La Calle" to move, K287BQ would need to change primaries from KODA to KCOH, and K223CW to something else.

That costs filing fees, and paying off whatever time is left on the agreement with Roberto Villarreal to use KCOH as K223CW's primary and for what purpose, exactly? It's not worth the trouble to upset your listeners by forcing them to go on a wild search to find where you are located on the FM dial today. La Calle is just now starting to get established. Why would anyone in their right mind disturb what familiarity there already is with the station's current channel location?

LBI did it before, there's nothing hard about announcing LA CALLE IS MOVING TO A "STRONGER STATION"

Remember, power pretty much becomes irrelevant once you have height.

I disagree. There is a point at which the achievement of greater height reduces the power so much that you have a weak signal everywhere and a usable signal nowhere.

One LA area station, KRCV, had 570 watts at over 1000 feet, and got no ratings as the signal was just weak all over the coverage area. It moved down to 6 kw at the standard HAAT and got significant ratings (with the same format and no programming changes). I have seen this in many other instances.

The "guaranteed contour protection" of KTWL as currently licensed barely reaches 99 west of Cypress. http://fccdata.org/?facid=21204 Under the new KTWL CP it wont even reach Tomball or Conroe. Remember, power pretty much becomes irrelevant once you have height. In any event, the height for the Houston translator will soon drop from 1800 feet to 980 feet. That will eliminate the cochannel interference.

However, if there is a listener complaint from outside the protected contour, a translator can be forced to move.

The Lexington, KY translator on the channel of a full C from Hazard, KY is a good example of how listener letters well outside the protected contour can force a translator off the air.

I disagree. There is a point at which the achievement of greater height reduces the power so much that you have a weak signal everywhere and a usable signal nowhere.

One LA area station, KRCV, had 570 watts at over 1000 feet, and got no ratings as the signal was just weak all over the coverage area. It moved down to 6 kw at the standard HAAT and got significant ratings (with the same format and no programming changes). I have seen this in many other instances.

I can confirm your observation. There is a trade off in height versus power...get it wrong and the signal doesn't work. Lack of building penetration is the main problem. The consultant's coverage circles look great but, as David says, the signal just does not have density. Been there, done that....got the teeshirt!

They have stopped simulcasting LA NUEVA 94.1 and are now playing Regional Mexican music. Haven't heard any names or anything.

Ok I guess it was just to test something cause they went back

At a few checks of 105.3 between 6:30 and 7:00 this evening the station seemed to be running Banda instead of the simulcast, but at a 7:30pm check they were back to the La Nueva simulcast. Did not hear any announcements during the separate programming.

Near downtown the 105.3 signal was quite good. No dropouts.

Speaking of La Nueva simulcasts, I have not heard anything further from the Missouri City translator on 102.5 since the single day it was on the air several months ago.

I also am picking up KSBJ very clear on 96.9. But I'm not sure if it is really KXBJ or the translator K240CW that is supposed to move from 95.9 Corpus Cristi to 96.9 Houston.

I also am picking up KSBJ very clear on 96.9. But I'm not sure if it is really KXBJ or the translator K240CW that is supposed to move from 95.9 Corpus Cristi to 96.9 Houston.

I've noticed the improved signal from KXBJ in the Cy-Fair area the past couple of weeks. Made me wonder if work had been done on the transmitter to get it back to full power. Had been barely there for quite some time.

The 96.9 translator in the Medical Center is supposed to rebroadcast KWWJ 1360. No sign of that facility having been on the air.

I guess since I'm near the local area of KXBJ in lavaca county I didn't notice. I wonder why they cut off the HD signal? They could put ngen radio on HD-2. KNTE is in HD, KXBJ use to be in HD before Liberman sold them.

Please enlighten me, why all the translators popping up these days? It's nearly beyond the point of even trying to DX any longer. No more chance of hearing KQXY, KYKR, KAGG, KKMY, KIOC cause of all the ethnic/junk in the way.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom