• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

105.3 on air

And before anyone asks, the Xlator rules are different for commercial vs NON Comm FM stations....Thats why KSBJ and KHCB have xlators all over the place..(no they dont have to be below 92.1 to be NON COMM....they can operate in the 92.1-107.9 band as a NON COMM...but 88.1-91.9 is reserved for NON COMM only)...

As I stated earlier, a xlator cannot EXTEND\/exceed the service contour of a COMMERCIAL full service FM station (UNLESS it is owned by another party; another loop hole the FCC needs to close).....anything else has its own rules.....

And before anyone asks, the Xlator rules are different for commercial vs NON Comm FM stations....Thats why KSBJ and KHCB have xlators all over the place..(no they dont have to be below 92.1 to be NON COMM....they can operate in the 92.1-107.9 band as a NON COMM...but 88.1-91.9 is reserved for NON COMM only)...

As I stated earlier, a xlator cannot EXTEND\/exceed the service contour of a COMMERCIAL full service FM station (UNLESS it is owned by another party; another loop hole the FCC needs to close).....anything else has its own rules.....

What if they just call it a "simulcast", like Houston's dual Eagle? When I was in Florida - the Orlando to-40 station put up a translator on the beach at Daytona Beach, jamming WCIE for listeners in the area. Numerous complaints went nowhere. So I don't think the FCC enforces the rule about translators extending the range of commercial stations.

WCIE was licensed to Lakeland, Florida. Their protected coverage didn't even come close to reaching Daytona Beach.
That is why the FCC didn't respond to the complaints.

What if they just call it a "simulcast", like Houston's dual Eagle? When I was in Florida - the Orlando to-40 station put up a translator on the beach at Daytona Beach, jamming WCIE for listeners in the area. Numerous complaints went nowhere. So I don't think the FCC enforces the rule about translators extending the range of commercial stations.

Great question, what if it's a simulcast like The Eagle? Like La Raza 98.5 and 103.3? Like Radio Aleluya? Like KSBJ? NGEN? Ect ect!

WCIE was licensed to Lakeland, Florida. Their protected coverage didn't even come close to reaching Daytona Beach.
That is why the FCC didn't respond to the complaints.

The question wasn't about WCIE - it was about whether a commercial station can extend their coverage area with a translator. WXXL had very poor coverage on the beach. The coverage map here http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WXXL-FM doesn't take into account an altitude change right on the beach which pretty much ended WXXL, even on good radios. They bent the rules to extend their broadcast area for Spring Breakers.

If the translator is owned by a third party, it may be used to extend the station's coverage.

So Mr Henderson have leased K287BQ then if he wanted to? Problem solved, the Guevaras would had their translator running and Mr Henderson wouldn't had complained.

You just made my point - A turban might be "racial" in nature, but it is not "racist" to make such a reference. Like it or not, a turban is a hat, which might be worn by anyone of any race or religion. Freedom means that I can wear a turban (or a sombrero) and "TheHarshReality," you, and anyone else can make a joke about it if they want. Going overboard to be offended is the New American Way.

Apples and Oranges....The Eagle is a dual FULL service FM....not a Full Service with a xlator.....totally different situation...

So Mr Henderson have leased K287BQ then if he wanted to? Problem solved, the Guevaras would had their translator running and Mr Henderson wouldn't had complained.

No, he cannot have any active part of the signal.....leased or owned....HOWEVER, tell me how a xlator on 105.3 is going to REbroadcast a signal off the same channel?? I want to see that!!! :)

If the translator is owned by a third party, it may be used to extend the station's coverage.

Which I stated earlier as well... There was a xlator in Conroe (cant recall what channel) in the 80s that carried KASE 101 out of Austin then B95 out of Beaumont..person who owned it had several translators around East Texas with local insert and was trying to sell advertising on them..(Rules allow 30sec?? or 60 per hour local insert on xltators).....He was using DTMF from the main signal to fire the local automation but they never did hit the buttons too many times...so the ad was missed..later the ads fired at the bottom of the hour no matter what...in the middle of a song or whatever....and the audio was crappy...the signal went away when they stopped paying Bowen and Smith tower rent...I ended up using the Heliax on a ham rptr on that tower! LOL...

The 105.3 translator is back on the air, but appears to be testing. Very low audio levels, but it sounds like an engineer is adjusting as the level varies. Radio Dabang programming, but not synchronized with 95.3. Guessing this might be from the newly authorized Missouri City site. Overriding KTWL at my Cy-Fair location.

Can confirm... getting a rather quiet Dabang with stereo pilot on 105.3 in Spring, overriding KTWL once again.

The 105.3 translator is back on the air, but appears to be testing. Very low audio levels, but it sounds like an engineer is adjusting as the level varies. Radio Dabang programming, but not synchronized with 95.3. Guessing this might be from the newly authorized Missouri City site. Overriding KTWL at my Cy-Fair location.

It actually has a few seconds delay on 95.3 FM it is broadcasting first at 1:05 .3

HOWEVER, tell me how a xlator on 105.3 is going to REbroadcast a signal off the same channel?? I want to see that!!! :)

Do HD on the main channel and simulcast the HD1. That would be one way.

Or say screw it and feed the translator via some other means. Few (possibly none) of the HD2/HD3 channels feeding translators across the country are actually being received over the air by the translators. They're being fed some other way.

This has been going on for years, and the Commission hasn't fined anyone for it yet.

Authorization granted? Authorization dismissed? What's going on? It got granted and dismissed the same day? Or was the old authorization dismissed and a new one granted??

I'm no Radio of FCC expert but judging by these numbers ( if they go by alphabets the most reason authorization is dismissed right?

BPFT-20170303ABF granted

BMPFT-20170330AQQ dismissed

Seeing that the dismissed one has more digits I'm assuming that's the latest app?

Seems like they've gotten the levels sorted out now. Getting Bollywood loud and clear, fighting with KTWL, at FM 2920 and FM 2978 in Tomball.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom