• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kd-94.1

No longer a simulcast of WKXN. Format is "Grown Folks" radio. Very low audio, just like "The Big Station". 102.7 is WKXN's only translator in Montgomery.

Two doors might exist. WHPH and WIQR. WHPH may not be interested in selling their station and besides, they may have plans of doing Classic Hits, once they return. WIQR is still dark. No tellings what the future has in store for them or if they'll ever return, with their current owner(s). Mr. Rosoce could make a deal to buy WIQR, become the new owner and wa-la The Big Station brand would have a new full powered home in the Gump.

Dan <><

Last edited:
Two doors might exist. WHPH and WIQR. WHPH may not be interested in selling their station and besides, they may have plans of doing Classic Hits, once they return. WIQR is still dark. No tellings what the future has in store for them or if they'll ever return, with their current owner(s). Mr. Rosoce could make a deal to buy WIQR, become the new owner and wa-la The Big Station brand would have a new full powered home in the Gump.

Dan <><

I think he meant WPHH (or something like that) on 93.5. No-one's going to buy an AM unless it's paired with a translator. There's not much more space on the FM dial in this over-radioed market.

May bad about the calls mistake.

I was thinking since Mr. Roscoe already has a Big Station relay in place, why not purchase WIQR and let it become the new station this translator is fed from. He would have even greater success and attract more listeners, if he were to do it.

Dan <><

P.S. Just like with the recent purchase of 950 AM and pairing it with a relay, WIQR and it's new relay would help bring new life to this radio station.

Last edited:
Can anyone compile a complete list of translators that have carried wkxn? I think Montgomery has had 4 with 3 running simultaneously at one time. I think Troy had a translator once and I'm sure I remember a few more existed in other small towns.

Can anyone compile a complete list of translators that have carried wkxn? I think Montgomery has had 4 with 3 running simultaneously at one time. I think Troy had a translator once and I'm sure I remember a few more existed in other small towns.

On the Wikipedia entry for WKXN, it has a picture from the previous 'Big Station' website that lists 107.1 and 107.9 for Montgomery. 107.1 is W296AI, still around as Bluewater's "Hits 107.1" (WQKS 96.1-HD3). 107.9 was W300AN, going bye-bye when full-power WMRK 107.9 Shorter signed on. I almost want to say WKXN had a very short stint at another 100-something channel, but can't place a guess.

A semi-confident guess of late '90s/2000s WKXN (frustrated hip-hop listener via 96.7): The Troy translator was on 93.9.

No longer a simulcast of WKXN. Format is "Grown Folks" radio. Very low audio, just like "The Big Station". 102.7 is WKXN's only translator in Montgomery.

Upon that description, it's personally frustrating to imagine how different the new 94.1/950 really is from what the WKXN/WKXK trimulcast is doing at any given time. :confused:

Again, one hopes Miller realizes his new Montgomery station allows him to specialize some. If KD 94.1 is southern soul/blues heavy as I suspect it is, that means WKXN 95.7+102.7 can go heavy with another genre, and so can WKXK 96.7--all targeting the same mostly African-American audience with mostly the same advertisers they've satisfied.

The former homes for WKXN|tr Montgomery include:

93.9 FM
106.5 FM
107.1 FM
and
107.9 FM

I want to say that WKXN had a home at 104.9 FM but not too sure on that one.

Dan <><

Last edited:
I wonder, who owns the most translators in town?

Bluewater Broadcasting. They have four in all. 100.5, 103.9, 104.9 and 107.1. The other owners have around one or two.

Dan <><

Bluewater Broadcasting. They have four in all. 100.5, 103.9, 104.9 and 107.1. The other owners have around one or two.

Dan <><

i thought the hagler family owned 104.9 and leased it to bluewater? or did they sell it to bluewater recently?

Was 104.9 the only translator to carry "the Tiger"? Has 104.9 carried anything besides the Tiger and the Gump?

104.9 came on in the mid to late 80's, I believe, before Tiger 95.9 existed. So I imagine it was relaying something else, but the FCC's data doesn't go back that far. Prior to the alt-rock, 95.9 was WBIL-FM, but I can't imagine it would have been on the translator, too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom