• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ATL. 6+ ratings

WYAY continues to shock me. WSB seems to always capitalize on the news and WYAY always struggles. And now, when WSB has such a weak evening drivetime host WYAY decides to go even weaker.

WYAY continues to shock me. WSB seems to always capitalize on the news and WYAY always struggles. And now, when WSB has such a weak evening drivetime host WYAY decides to go even weaker.

I'm kind of surprised that Cumulus hasn't put the Kimmer (back) in PM drive, unless they want a more commentary vs. comedy focused host when news consumers would be listening.

In a way, Cumulus is doing what made WGST in the 90s--hire unknowns and try to grow them (like Sean Hannity).

I'm kind of surprised that Cumulus hasn't put the Kimmer (back) in PM drive, unless they want a more commentary vs. comedy focused host when news consumers would be listening.

In a way, Cumulus is doing what made WGST in the 90s--hire unknowns and try to grow them (like Sean Hannity).

Can they wait a couple of years for someone to pan out?

What really surprises me is the WFSH and WVFJ showings. The Fish has been strong for some time and WVFJ showed up with a 2 share this time...I'm surprised there is that much Christian Radio listening in a city like Atlanta.
I'm guessing panel changes have placed a lot of PPM monitors in the NE metro and south metro. WVFJ has always been strong in the soccer mom counties south and The Fish, the northern/northeastern counties.
But if that's the case what has happened to country? Those numbers seem anemic...
Thoughts?

Last edited:
What really surprises me is the WFSH and WVFJ showings. The Fish has been strong for some time and WVFJ showed up with a 2 share this time...I'm surprised there is that much Christian Radio listening in a city like Atlanta.
I'm guessing panel changes have placed a lot of PPM monitors in the NE metro and south metro. WVFJ has always been strong in the soccer mom counties south and The Fish, the northern/northeastern counties.
But if that's the case what has happened to country? Those numbers seem anemic...
Thoughts?

I was wondering what happened to country as well.

Country is nationally going through a bit of a down cycle.

What causes these down cycles? I have heard that before about other formats, country included, but it doesn't mesh with my "people are creatures of habit" theory. Most people I have known over the years habitually listen to "their" station(s) and do not switch stations except when something new, with a lot of social buzz, appears on the scene.
Is my theory all wrong? I can't think of what has happened that is shiny enough to attract people to switch stations

What causes these down cycles? I have heard that before about other formats, country included, but it doesn't mesh with my "people are creatures of habit" theory. Most people I have known over the years habitually listen to "their" station(s) and do not switch stations except when something new, with a lot of social buzz, appears on the scene.
Is my theory all wrong? I can't think of what has happened that is shiny enough to attract people to switch stations

Sometimes the music that's popular at the time has an effect on the ratings.

What causes these down cycles?

It's a format that's mainly currents-based. So if the currents are mainly by lesser known artists, or songs that aren't as strong as from earlier times, it will have an effect on the ratings. Plus, there's also the factor of competition. So if country fans are also Christmas fans, they may switch from country for Christmas, and then return at a later time.

Sometimes the music that's popular at the time has an effect on the ratings.

I understand both your, and Big A's point. I guess I'm scratching my head because most people I know are either country fans, hip hop fans, R&B fans, jazz fans...or they like pop music. They don't have a tendency to try other genres of music. I know there are exceptions, I being one but it seems most people like whatever music their social group likes and it only changes very slowly, over time.
Am I wrong?

Am I wrong?

In a world with many options, all you need is a weak group of songs, and listeners (especially young ones) will find what they want someplace else. So they're probably not trying other genres, but other platforms.

Right now, country stations are finding that they're getting better numbers by decreasing currents and broadening their Gold a little bit.

But that could change if some big new thing happens.

In a world with many options, all you need is a weak group of songs, and listeners (especially young ones) will find what they want someplace else. So they're probably not trying other genres, but other platforms.

Right now, country stations are finding that they're getting better numbers by decreasing currents and broadening their Gold a little bit.

But that could change if some big new thing happens.

Here's a question you may know the answer to...who actually picks the singles today? Record execs...group PDs...local PDs?

In the larger markets there is usually a “Music Director” who does the music logs. He / She could also be the assistant PD, Production director, promotions director or an on air person. Some companies will have “format” directors that will have control of the songs that can be played all of that type of stations that company owns. 97.1 The River when they first started out as a jukebox with no announcers only had the music guy, and the contract liner guy. Most large market stations have some type of music research. I guess somewhere there are even operations that still have a music “staff” meeting where several of the on air folks listen and have input on what is added. For non “current stations” there are computer programs that rotate your library. A lot of small market operations in the past usually followed Billboard. It just depends on the particular station and its corporate structure.

If a record rep did your music, I am sure the FCC would be informed by the other record reps and there would be an "investigation".

In the larger markets there is usually a “Music Director” who does the music logs. He / She could also be the assistant PD, Production director, promotions director or an on air person. Some companies will have “format” directors that will have control of the songs that can be played all of that type of stations that company owns. 97.1 The River when they first started out as a jukebox with no announcers only had the music guy, and the contract liner guy. Most large market stations have some type of music research. I guess somewhere there are even operations that still have a music “staff” meeting where several of the on air folks listen and have input on what is added. For non “current stations” there are computer programs that rotate your library. A lot of small market operations in the past usually followed Billboard. It just depends on the particular station and its corporate structure.

If a record rep did your music, I am sure the FCC would be informed by the other record reps and there would be an "investigation".

I thought the record companies, along with the artists, picked the singles they would "encourage" stations to play. I know a station could play anything they want and I also understand payola law. I always thought the record labels used their "gut" instinct and pushed stations to play certain singles, and in a certain order. I've never been involved in that side of the business which is why I ask.

Here's a question you may know the answer to...who actually picks the singles today? Record execs...group PDs...local PDs?

Are you asking about country? If so, label promo heads pick the singles, usually getting input from selected radio people.

Is there a different process in other formats?

In essentially all formats that have current releases, the label determines the individual songs to be "released to radio" and sets the timing.

Radio generally does not get full albums. The labels (and, sometimes but more rarely, artist management) send digital files, usually in .wav format.

Many labels now release individual songs by power artists worldwide at the same time.

Radio stations have internal procedures to determine what new songs to add. They may let the PD pick the adds, or have a committee or follow corporate guidance. Stations will look at various online sources (BDS, MediaBasse, download stats, etc. to see how songs are doing and who is adding them).

Record labels have promotion staffers who call, visit and email stations and programmers to encourage them to play the latest releases.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom