• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bad station imaging voices

joebtsflk1

Star Participant
I usually don't pay much attention to radio station imaging voices. Most of them seem to do well by their client stations. But a very few just don't work.

I'll start with the station voice for KFKA, 1310 Greeley CO. He sounds more menacing than Darth Vader. This has to be the worst station imaging voice I've ever heard. That isn't to take away anything from James Earl Jones. His natural speaking voice is a huge part of the CNN brand.

But Darth Vader at nearly every break? Listen for yourself here: http://1310kfka.com/listen-2/

Anyone care to add to this list?

Some stations are in the mode of thinking that they need to growl at their listeners every 10 minutes.

And that's exactly what KFKA sounds like! Granted, a bit of gravitas is needed, but this takes it from mildly ironic to downright ludicrous. OK for April Fools, but for the other 364 days....

To be honest, I don't care for Jim Cutler's voiceovers. He's on WLW, ESPN Radio, and others Or the guy that Westwood One uses, David Lee.

Obviously my opinion is wrong, because these guys are popular.

I usually don't pay much attention to radio station imaging voices. Most of them seem to do well by their client stations. But a very few just don't work.

I'll start with the station voice for KFKA, 1310 Greeley CO. He sounds more menacing than Darth Vader. This has to be the worst station imaging voice I've ever heard. That isn't to take away anything from James Earl Jones. His natural speaking voice is a huge part of the CNN brand.

But Darth Vader at nearly every break? Listen for yourself here: http://1310kfka.com/listen-2/

Anyone care to add to this list?

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuh...................hhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuh.............Hot Hits 101 IS YOUR FATHER!..........hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuh..........................

I hear Jim Cutler everywhere - all of the Tribune stations, WGN, ESPN Radio, etc. David Lee's low voice was used as the NEWSCAST OPENING for KAPP 35/KVEW 42 Yakima/Tri-Cities for several months last year. Worst news announcer ever! Charlie Van Dyke or Eric Gordon would be 1000x better. The latter announced KAPP/KVEW's news for several years between the late '90s and early 2010s.

I can't stand the voice of SiriusXM's NFL Radio, whoever he is. A pure growler, probably faking it at nearly an octave beneath his actual speaking voice. His "Channel Eighty-Eeeeeeiiiiighhht" at the end of every promo is nails-on-chalkboard to me every time. Oh wait, this year every promo must end with the NFL Ministry of Propaganda newspeak catchphrase "Football is Familyyyyyyy," which grates even more.

I can't stand the voice of SiriusXM's NFL Radio, whoever he is. A pure growler, probably faking it at nearly an octave beneath his actual speaking voice. His "Channel Eighty-Eeeeeeiiiiighhht" at the end of every promo is nails-on-chalkboard to me every time. Oh wait, this year every promo must end with the NFL Ministry of Propaganda newspeak catchphrase "Football is Familyyyyyyy," which grates even more.

If you're speaking of David Lee, I assure you that is his actual voice. That's what he sounds like off mike.

I know he does the westwood one voiceover stuff. Since I don't listen to Sirius, I couldn't be sure.

https://www.exploresiriusxm.com/channel/247-nba-news-talk/

Here's another Sirius voice that annoys me, mostly because of the all-too-obvious stereotyping of only using a voice that sounds African-American on one channel, NBA Radio. There's also something really small-time sounding about all the noisy sound effects in the background and the phasing gimmickry on the voice. This is common on just about all of SXM's promo work. Someone there thinks phasing and/or compressing voices to telephone audio quality is cool and exciting. To me, it just makes the promo sound like the work of some small-market wannabe production genius intent on using all the audio gimmicks at his disposal on every promo. I certainly don't hear over-the-top, cluttered production like this on FM.

David Lee is very talented (for some situations), but his over the top presentation doesn't work in other situations. I have heard him as a VO for tv newscasts, and that simply doesn't work, IMO. I have worked with Jeff Davis for many years, (forrmer WLS VO), and I can recommend him as easy to work with and provides just a smooth, clean VO for almost every occasion. This is an unsolicited reference.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom