• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

104.1FM Sanger-Dallas allotment

e-dawg

Star Participant
Is 104.1 FM allotment still there or has it been deleted completely? I know it used to be KTDK, but they have to forfeit their license because of Citadel/Cumulus Merger.

It seems like I read the allocation is still technically there and would be available at the next spectrum auction, why none of the Texoma broadcasters bought KTDK will always amaze me.

Right now there are LPFM stations operating in DFW on 104.1, so those stations would be displaced if someone licensed a full power. (But the LPFMs are secondary and they know that going in. They'd probably get crammed onto another frequency.)

It seems like I read the allocation is still technically there and would be available at the next spectrum auction, why none of the Texoma broadcasters bought KTDK will always amaze me.

Yes it will be auctioned at a future time.....who knows when that will be is at this point is just a guess.

At least 1 "texoma station" DID try to buy it! Cumulus instead chose to turn in the license so they could immediately operate another FM in the DFW market instead of take a bonafide legitimate offer and keep it on the air with original programming. Their decision was even challenged but the FCC finally ruled they could not MAKE Cumulus retain ownership if they chose not to, which would have then made it possible to effect the sale.
They threw away a great deal of money by making that choice and put 104.1 off the air indefinitely and perhaps forever. It could possibly be available again in a future allocation, or it might be given to other stations for upgrades piece by piece etc. It just as likely could never resurface. Any station that used 104.1 for a translator would be forced off the frequency if it is ever re-allocated, which is why no one wants to put a translator or LPFM on that frequency.
As for KGAF, it is now a Class B and not eligible for a translator in the last filing window which was for Class C stations. If they open a filing window for Class B AM's, that can then be a possibility.
Also the signal upgrade on KGAF AM 1580 last year had nothing to with the AM revitalization effort on the part of the FCC. That was a simple minor change in license that we filed and were granted.

Do we know the reason or does that just mean its about to be put up for auction?

It would be nice to see KSEO get a full power FM station, instead of the weak signal on 94.1. They could move into the metroplex in a big way, instead of being a daytime only AM rim-shot.

Do we know the reason or does that just mean its about to be put up for auction?

The FCC determines whether there is a continuing interest in a potential station before allocating it to a city. Once a signal is allocated to a city, it goes up for auction (the exception being when it's mutually exclusive with an existing license).

KWSM 104.1 moved from Sherman to Sanger in the early 90's. As a Sherman station, it ran satellite classic rock and oldies.

The FCC periodically reinstates vacant allotments. I'm not exactly sure why it does that, though the release reinstating 104.1 C3 in Sanger says it's a "ministerial action." I'm guessing it has something to do with verifying a continued interest in the signal, but that's just a guess.

I've heard the translator for KHSE 700 AM on 104.1 the past few days. It has an ad running talking about the station being for rent. Unfortunately it's also running rap music with lots of profanity that is a strict no no according to the FCC. Don't know if there will be any kind of complaint filed, but it's bad.

So does the FCC like still exist?

Last edited by a moderator:
i was 18 years old at the time the 104.1 signal went off the air and when it was trying to be sold, if i had known then what i know now, i would had bought the station myself for a good amount of money. and turn that thing into a money machine. hopefully i will scoop it up and bring it back but thats just wishful thinking.

I never really understood why no one purchased KTDK when they had the chance to begin with. Hopefully some local operator can snag the new 104.1 allotment but I don't think it can be Alpha Media and I doubt the other local's in the area could afford it. Prophecy might but I don't see them doing that.

Since Radio Brands, Inc. won the auction 109 for the allocation. What format will this be? Also, could the signal/class be upgrade to Class C?

Since Radio Brands, Inc. won the auction 109 for the allocation. What format will this be?

My guess is it will be some sort of Asian programming, but that’s purely a guess. Radio Brands hasn’t announced what it intends to do with the station yet.

Also, could the signal/class be upgrade to Class C?

I don’t think so. It can’t increase from its current site because it’s between KVIL and KKDA-FM. If it were to increase and move to the Wise County site, it would be too close to KQXC 103.9. From the 94.5 site, it would be too close to KKUS. It doesn't have much wiggle room without a major shakeup in the allocation table, and that wouldn't be easy if it were even possible at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom