What will be the new format for WRCA? - Page 3
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What will be the new format for WRCA?

Quote Originally Posted by MRBIboredop View Post
    yes 99 watts that is going to cover a good part of Boston and maybe as far out as Rt 128.

HAAT is your friend .

In the back bay there may be multipath issues though
    Isn't this translator going to be on the Pru? (or Hancock?)

Might help with multipath if the signal is right there in the back bay....

Off since Nov 15..3 and a half months

Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    Isn't this translator going to be on the Pru? (or Hancock?)

Might help with multipath if the signal is right there in the back bay....
    The Hancock, or whatever they're calling it these days... Something something Clarendon?

WRCA still not back as far as I know and the 106.1 of course not on either. Almost 5 months and no idea what will go on.
    In the meantime I read on Fybush's column that the 98.9 in Salem NH (also covering Merrimack Valley in MA) which simulcasts
    WCCM 1110 has gone from talk to classic hits. The FM tail wagging the AM dog--marketed with the FM frequency but the AM
    has to simulcast of course ( the talk has gone to an HD and a site).

Which is what we're looking at here...the 106.1 will no doubt be highlighted and oh yes, they're also on 1330 (not that the AM signal is nothing to sneeze at, but the concentration will be on the new FM and what I'm guessing is a music format.

Put your money on Tropical Hispanic. It is a larger population than AA in Boston and totally unserved on the FM band. And Beasley has great success with the format in other markets. It will be plug and play with no competition and new dollars to the market. What was originally intended to be urban AC will become Hispanic. Book it.

Quote Originally Posted by raccoonradio View Post
    I read on Fybush's column that the 98.9 in Salem NH (also covering Merrimack Valley in MA) which simulcasts
    WCCM 1110 has gone from talk to classic hits. The FM tail wagging the AM dog--marketed with the FM frequency but the AM
    has to simulcast of course ( the talk has gone to an HD and a site).
    I keep hearing themselves ID as the FM on the AM side, and they have been doing it for weeks.
    You are spot on about the tail wagging the dog.

The ONE station that does it right, is WNBP and their translator on 106.1, They still identify themselves in all marketing and promotion as WNBP, and use the FM translator as it was meant to be used, not a work around to get a FM allocation

Exclamation “Valley 98.9”

Quote Originally Posted by raccoonradio View Post
    In the meantime I read on Fybush's column that the 98.9 in Salem NH (also covering Merrimack Valley in MA) which simulcasts WCCM 1110 has gone from talk to classic hits.
    Yup, I noted the change last night—now “Valley 98.9”, with “Greatest Hits”.
    ~Uncle Kaimbridge~

**** Void Where Permitted; Limit 0 Per Customer. ****

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gaveitup View Post
    Put your money on Tropical Hispanic. It is a larger population than AA in Boston and totally unserved on the FM band. And Beasley has great success with the format in other markets. It will be plug and play with no competition and new dollars to the market. What was originally intended to be urban AC will become Hispanic. Book it.
    Beasley has only a very limited experience with Spanish language stations, based on their purchase/swap of CBS's Rhythmic CHR station in the Tampa Bay market about 2 years ago. All they did was add this existing format to a number of translators in the Naples / Ft Myers market.

In any event, the format is not "Tropical" (which is no longer a viable format anywhere on the US mainland) but the equivalent in Spanish of CHUrban.

And, like with any diverse population group, not every Hispanic enjoys that format.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

The Vermont one debuted its FM Translator as 105.7 The Beat.To get the translator they have to duplicate what the AM is running (the AM could be a daytimer or reduce power at night). But in effect they are running a music FM and have to carry it on the AM too, even if listeners would probably never tune to the AM (it's a young demo).

The FCC is saying the FM will help the AM.They could have said, "you can run one format on the FM if you wish and something else on the AM" but no, it must be duplicated.WSNO got rid of their talk format on 1450 (Rush, Howie). I think they said the talk shows made it tough to sell ads.Yeah that could be part of it.
    So while it's "helping to save an AM station" it amounts to launching a new FM station.

Exclamation WRCA Back On

Things may finally be moving with Beasleyʼs 13-30/106.1 combo.
    Noted WRCA back on this morning, just before 3am (came on yesterday, sometime in the afternoon?)—simulcasting WROR, but ahead 15 sec.s (assume due to the FMʼs IBOC processing delay)!
    ~Uncle Kaimbridge~

**** Void Where Permitted; Limit 0 Per Customer. ****

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast