What will be the new format for WRCA? - Page 9
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: What will be the new format for WRCA?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

Less than 30% of the surnames in the Buenos Aires phone book (looking back to when they last had them) are "Spanish" (from Spain or the various regions in Spain). Over 40% are of Italian origin, with large groups of German, English, Irish, French, Russian and Polish names, as well as a huge Lebanese heritage community.
    And that doesn't include the Germans from the migration of 1945-46 who assumed Spanish (or other ethnic) names for obvious reasons!

Not sure, but something may be happening at WRCA. They just played five Van Morrisson songs in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy128 View Post
    Not sure, but something may be happening at WRCA. They just played five Van Morrisson songs in a row.
    Van Morrison, originally from Belfast, Ireland, has a number of songs in regular rotation on "The Irish Channel".

But, five by him in a row might have either been a glitch (IE: an automation problem, or maybe something went wrong with the automated programming and someone put on a Van Morrison CD), or may have been a special feature. Sounds like it's back to its usual "Irish Channel" programming now.

Update: There was just one more by Van, "Wild Night", but only one.
    Last edited by Eli Polonsky; 05-17-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Probably a glitch but something like that would seem like a stunt type gimmick. (For example when 102.1 and 105.3 on NH-ME coast ran a loop of stuff like the Jaws theme prior to launching as The Shark. Van 106.1?)

Quote Originally Posted by raccoonradio View Post
    Probably a glitch but something like that would seem like a stunt type gimmick. (For example when 102.1 and 105.3 on NH-ME coast ran a loop of stuff like the Jaws theme prior to launching as The Shark. Van 106.1?)
    Well, last hour they played a whole lot of Dropkick Murphys in a row. Now they are back to regular programming.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    And that doesn't include the Germans from the migration of 1945-46 who assumed Spanish (or other ethnic) names for obvious reasons!
    Of course, those folks are likely taking dirt naps now. And most moved to rural areas away from the big cities. Many went to other South American nations... I had the misfortune to meet at least one in Ecuador and he had a whole room in his home filled with an Adolf shrine.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

"The Irish Channel" has been on 96.9 HD2 for several years, but I never listened enough to hear whether they ever did sets of the same artist in a row like that before.

They're running top of hr legal IDs mentioning WRCA and the new translator..no ads but they ran some "buckle your kids" PSAs.
    My step nephew, who's about 45, said he found the 106.1 and enjoys it."It reminds me of when my Dad would turn on the Irish Hit parade show in the car.";(His dad,my brother in law,who passed a couple yrs ago)

I have no idea what they are doing. First off the audio is louder than the adjacent stations 105.7 and 106.3 WFNQ (im north of boston). Second, I am puzzled by the music. I heard a baffling sequence offour songs in a row the other evening -- first was a traditional sounding irish song or at least a contemporary song with traditional elements, second was a lounge-y vocal song, third was a country song and the fourth was in a foreign language i did not recognize. Basically it seems all over the place and if you liked one of these styles specifically, youd likely change the station immediately. Is this permenant format?

Quote Originally Posted by robotique View Post
    I have no idea what they are doing. First off the audio is louder than the adjacent stations 105.7 and 106.3 WFNQ (im north of boston). Second, I am puzzled by the music. I heard a baffling sequence offour songs in a row the other evening -- first was a traditional sounding irish song or at least a contemporary song with traditional elements, second was a lounge-y vocal song, third was a country song and the fourth was in a foreign language i did not recognize. Basically it seems all over the place and if you liked one of these styles specifically, youd likely change the station immediately. Is this permenant format?
    Is it still the format from 96.9 HD2 or something unique to the translator? Is there no one reading this thread in the Boston area who has an HD receiver? I have one but am in Connecticut, so I'm of no help with this.

So what is the Boston (or national) record for the longest stunt by a new station before revealing its true format?

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast