• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 1520

Here in NW PA, it's WWKB Buffalo.. I can even hear it by day sometimes. I'm between Erie and Bradford PA

How does it come in at night? I know they throw a huge null to the west. I will have to check next time I am visiting the fiancee's parents in Conneaut, which probably will be at Christmas.

How does it come in at night? I know they throw a huge null to the west. I will have to check next time I am visiting the fiancee's parents in Conneaut, which probably will be at Christmas.

I am in Warren. It is there, but not super strong. When I lived in SE CT, it was what i call "S9+bent meter needle" kind of signal

Semi-local KQQB in Stockdale came back on the air this summer after being off for at least a couple of years. At first it was retransmitting sister station KYND in Cypress. For about the past month it's been running an ad all day stating that the station is for rent. KYND is now doing the same thing, and I can hear their ads mixing with each other at sunset.

I'd like to know if anyone has picked up KOKC out here in California? This is one station on my bucket list to grab, but there are 4 stations on this frequency within a 600 mile range, surrounding me. I will update what I pick up in the coming days.

KOKC used to reach California on occasion years ago as I heard it out there while visiting back when it was KOMA. Hopefully someone else can comment whether it still can be heard there.

KOKC used to reach California on occasion years ago as I heard it out there while visiting back when it was KOMA. Hopefully someone else can comment whether it still can be heard there.

I heard iKOKC at my brother-in-law's place in the high desert, 70 miles east of downtown L.A. a couple of years ago. I believe they were on their 10KW non-directional STA. Signal was not very good.

Springfield, IL:

Day: WHOW Clinton, IL
Night: Mostly KRHW Sikeston, MO

As many people (including some on here) might remember during the days of the early Radio-Info and predecessor boards, the history of WHOW, to put it lightly, had a "very troubled" chapter during at least the 1990s and early 2000s.

With "interesting" and sometimes humorous (but sad) moments--and being dark for about Nov. 2002-early 2004 (so WCAZ was not the only AM station serving parts of central IL that I "witnessed" going dark). Many discussions about WHOW on the early versions of the Illinois radio boards.

I'll sum it up by saying it made WLUV look like a top-notch major market operation on 1520. I'll let others chime in before I share my observations of the "old" WHOW.

Anyone have more stories about circa-2000 WHOW?

Last edited:
Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: Very weak WLUV (Loves Park, IL) on few occasions
Nightime: KOKC or WWBK

DX/RETRO: Some catches in the past include KWHW (Sikeston, MO), KOLM (Rochester, MN), WHOW (Clinton, IL), WCHE (West Chester, PA), WHIC (Hardinsburg, KY), WSVl (Shelbyville, IN), WIDD (Elizabeth, TN). Foreign catches include Radio Minuto, Barranquilla, Colombia and the clandestine station Radio Liberacion which was rumored to be from El Salvador.

For years I have been hearing a het on 1521 kHz, presumably from Saudi Arabia here in the Chicago area, but was never able to pull audio to get an ID. Back in 2005 while visiting Boston I was able to listen to a good signal from Saudi Arabia on the car radio even though the radio could only tune to 1520 kHz.

In Los Angeles, especially near LAX and along the coast:

Days: Variety-formatted KKZZ Port Hueneme (Ventura County).
Nights: Some Spanish-language music station (call letters and city of license unknown to me).

Last edited:
I heard iKOKC at my brother-in-law's place in the high desert, 70 miles east of downtown L.A. a couple of years ago. I believe they were on their 10KW non-directional STA. Signal was not very good.

I guess they are still on that 10KW STA. I have tried and tried, but all I'm getting ( and its quite strong ), is KKZZ out of Oxnard. Darn station is only 1KW, yet it comes in pretty good up here in San Jose. No hint what so ever of KOKC! Dam, I'm so disappointed!! If it was truly 50KW, I'd be getting at least something, but there is nothing their other than KKZZ.

Here's the nighttime pattern for 1520AM...

http://nf8m.com/pattern_maps/2016/NIGHTTIME-UNLIMITED/NIGHTTIME-UNLIMITED_map_1520KHz-1.html

Seems I'm just outside the loop, but come on, I've picked up stations hundreds of miles outside these radiation patterns ( even nulls away from my direction ). You where in the pattern, out their in the high desert, so ya, I can see you getting it.

Seems I'm just outside the loop, but come on, I've picked up stations hundreds of miles outside these radiation patterns ( even nulls away from my direction ). You where in the pattern, out their in the high desert, so ya, I can see you getting it.

I've picked up KOKC/KOMA in NorCal, but not during recent visits. It's probably been at least five years, and more likely longer. FWIW, At present, here at my home location, I'm having an easier time with KOKC than I've had historically. Even with KRHW as a common pest. All of which tells me that KOKC is probably still at 10kw ND on the STA. But by no means am I 100% sure about that.

Why did they resort to 10KW? Was there a problem with the main transmitter?

If you are picking them up their in Crystal lake, IL, the radiation pattern must have also been changed as well.

I tried again last night ( as conditions are really favorable for AM Dxing ), and all I was able to grab was the same KKZZ out of Oxnard. Nothing was overlapping, or fading in, just KKZZ music. Neither one of my two RF-2200's or SR2 is able to hear KOKC. Something is wrong with KOKC. I hope they can get back up to 50KW

Why did they resort to 10KW? Was there a problem with the main transmitter?

If you are picking them up their in Crystal lake, IL, the radiation pattern must have also been changed as well.

I tried again last night ( as conditions are really favorable for AM Dxing ), and all I was able to grab was the same KKZZ out of Oxnard. Nothing was overlapping, or fading in, just KKZZ music. Neither one of my two RF-2200's or SR2 is able to hear KOKC. Something is wrong with KOKC. I hope they can get back up to 50KW

KOKC's towers were destroyed by a tornado several years ago.. they've been working slowly on rebuilding and suchforth

Off the top of my head, I want to say KOKC has been on that nighttime 10kw ND STA for three or four years. Maybe longer. They don't seem to be in any hurry to rebuild, and I can't say as I blame them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom