• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kfxm

Gunsmoke

Banned
Listening on line, I noticed they are no longer in stereo, this has been since Thanksgiving, is this only on the internet stream, or the over the air signal also??

KFXM has moved to 98.3 FM and is no longer on 96.7 FM. That might be the reason why. I have noticed some people have said locally it sounds better.

I noticed the FCC database had their potential move stagnant for months, why the move with same height, location and power. They did sound much better in Stereo on the net here in Philadelphia.

I noticed the FCC database had their potential move stagnant for months, why the move with same height, location and power. They did sound much better in Stereo on the net here in Philadelphia.

The move apparently was required by a change in a higher class of facility. If such as station changes transmitter site or ups power and an LPFM interferes with that station's contours, then the LPFM has to move.

What station caused this move, and why does the LP have to suffer if some powerhouse wants to flex its muscles and make changes. Did this move hurt KFXM's coverage in any way.

Last edited:
What station caused this move, and why does the LP have to suffer if some powerhouse wants to flex its muscles and make changes. Did this move hurt KFXM's coverage in any way.

Nobody is "flexing its muscles here". Higher class stations (which can be Class A or B in CA) always want to have the maximum facility that their class permits, so if one of them on the same or an adjacent channel does a move or improvement that places their protected signal over that of the LPFM, the LPFM has to move.

Besides improvements in facilities, a higher class of station might have to move its transmitter site due to things like tower damage, lease conditions, changes in real estate use, etc. In such cases the higher class station is more or less forced to move, and the move may put their signal over all or part of the LPFM's signal area, forcing the LPFM to relocate to a new channel or new site.

LPFMs are the lowest class of station, and operate conditionally subject to the use of channels in their area.

I don't know what specific case caused the LPFM to move. You might email them. Of course, they may have decided that the new channel gets better coverage, and thus they did it to improve the interference free coverage area.

Copied from FCC BPL-20160824ABA

Exhibit 11
Description: FCC LPFM FINDER RESULTS FOR CH 252 AT PRESENT CH 244 SITE

FCC LPFM FINDER INDICATES CH 252 IS A PROPER SUBSTITUTE FOR PRESENT CH 244 LP100 (SEE ATTACHED)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

NON-ADJACENT CHANNEL INTERFERENCE REDUCTION:

KFXM-LP PROPOSES TO MODIFY THE OPERATING FREQUENCY FROM ITS PRESENT LICENSED CHANNEL 244L1, 96.7 MHZ TO CHANNEL 252L1, 98.3 MHZ. KFXM-LP'S CITY OF LICENSE IS LOCATED IN THE MOJAVE DESERT AND THE RADIO STATION OFTEN RECEIVES DESTRUCTIVE INTERFERENCE FROM OTHER RADIO STATIONS DUE TO THERMAL DUCTING. A MAPPED DEPICTION OF THE CH244 INTERFERENCE AREA IS SUBMITTED AT ATTACHMENT 1.

KFXM-LP BELIEVES THAT THE MOVE TO CHANNEL 252L1 WILL MITIGATE THIS INTERFERENCE. NO OTHER CHANGES TO THE CURRENT KFXM-LP OPERATION ARE PROPOSED. TO DETERMINE THE SUITABILITY OF CHANNEL 252L1, WE USED THE FCC'S ONLINE LPFM CHANNEL FINDER PROGRAM, USING KFXM-LPS LICENSED COORDINATES WHICH ARE 34:49:39, 118:10:13 (NAD 27).

FOR SOME YEARS, KFXM-LP HAS EXPERIENCED CONSISTENT CO- AND ADJACENT-CHANNEL INTERFERENCE FROM THE FOLLOWING STATIONS. KFXM-LP RECEIVES PERIODIC LISTENER AND UNDERWRITER COMPLAINTS ABOUT INTERFERENCE TO THE RECEPTION OF KFXM-LP.

REAL WORLD TERRAIN FACTORS APPEAR TO PROPAGATE THESE SIGNALS AT GREATER DISTANCES THAN OTHERWISE INDICATED BY THE COMMISSION'S STANDARD PREDICTION METHOD. THE OBSERVED CONSISTENT INTERFERENCE DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE WEATHER-RELATED NOR IN ANY WAY ANOMALOUS. THESE STATION SIGNALS ARE HEARD WITH NOISY CROSS-CHATTER AT KFXM-LP'S LICENSED TOWER SITE WHEN THE LPFM STATION IS TEMPORARILY OFF THE AIR FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE.

KCAL-FM REDLANDS, CA; FACID 59272
KWIZ SANTA ANA, CA; FACID 37225
KLJR-FM SANTA PAULA, CA; FACID 35925
K243BW PALMDALE, CA; FACID 142343

So I guess this was KFXM's decision, not an adjacent station. I emailed them and they said they were waiting for new equipment to arrive to get the stereo back.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom