• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hubbard swapping for Entercom/CBS?

There might be speculations that the newly formed Entercom/CBS group would be interested in 92.3, 101.1 & 106.5 for the & that Hubbard would buy some 4 or 5 of the sold off stations in San Francisco. St. Louis has too many groups, & Entercom/CBS only owns 1120, 98.1 & 102.5. I wonder if that is such a good possibility?:cool:

Keep in mind that, in 2000, the three Hubbard properties in St. Louis (plus 1430) billed about $1 million a month. WIL's billing is flat-to-down while 101.1 and 106.5 are up when adjusted for inflation. I'm not sure exactly what the billing of all of the Entercom and CBS properties in San Francisco adds up to, but I can't imagine those three St. Louis properties being worth more than two of the San Fran properties. They might barely equal one. After all, they were swapped for the second lowest-rated Los Angeles FM, and it was notorious for its billing issues, though country may have been the best performing format on 93.9 in the last quarter century.

BTW - Something else to keep in mind is that most people don't expect a Trump DOJ to do away with the 40% cap on radio revenues. KMOX and KEZK don't bill what they did 20 years ago, though KYKY bills a bit more. I'm not sure if Entercom would even be able to add all three Hubbard properties to its portfolio without going over that 40% cap.

I wonder if Emmis may be interested in selling their St. Louis cluster to Entercom, although Entercom would have to spin one station since they would be over the FCC ownership limits in St. Louis.

Keep in mind that, in 2000, the three Hubbard properties in St. Louis (plus 1430) billed about $1 million a month. WIL's billing is flat-to-down while 101.1 and 106.5 are up when adjusted for inflation. I'm not sure exactly what the billing of all of the Entercom and CBS properties in San Francisco adds up to, but I can't imagine those three St. Louis properties being worth more than two of the San Fran properties. They might barely equal one.

A commercial share in St Louis is worth about $1 million while one in San Francisco is worth a bit over $3 million, assuming the same power ratio. So your statement about three St Louis stations being worth about that of one San Francisco station seems quite reasonable.

After all, they were swapped for the second lowest-rated Los Angeles FM, and it was notorious for its billing issues, though country may have been the best performing format on 93.9 in the last quarter century.

And 93.9 is currently, per Grupo Radio Centro's filings with the Mexican equivalent of the SEC, losing about $930,000 per quarter or nearly $4,000,000 a year. LA is a high stakes table.

There might be speculations that the newly formed Entercom/CBS group would be interested in 92.3, 101.1 & 106.5 for the & that Hubbard would buy some 4 or 5 of the sold off stations in San Francisco. St. Louis has too many groups, & Entercom/CBS only owns 1120, 98.1 & 102.5. I wonder if that is such a good possibility?:cool:

The way I would see Entercom expand in the St. Louis market would be if they acquire Emmis' St. Louis cluster, since they have pretty good radio stations in St. Louis and could soon put them on the block.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom