• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Entercom's Impact on NYC

I have yet to hear an AM sports station that does not pump the crowd noise up to a ridiculous level.

Isn't that permissible in the same way that "pitching up" music is -- cheating a tiny bit to make the overall product more exciting?

If I have a GE Superradio and prefer 660 AM since the sound quality is much better. Also 660 AM has a much larger range.
While I might not be enamored with the processing on 101.9, it's odd that anyone would think WFAN 660 audio is decent. There's digital artifacts (that phasy mid-hi metallic sound) that make it sound like a low-res mp3. It also appears they are not running iboc, so, it's not clear to me why there's nothing above 4.5 KHz. Sister WCBS 880 suffers from the same problem, but with the added noise level of iboc hiss.

Isn't that permissible...?
They never got my permission!
You have my permission to disconnect your FM antenna
and introduce some hisssss for the same effect if you would like.

Last edited:
What's everyone's thought about an "older" sounding station in NYC? Light FM has gotten so heavy sounding. And so many stations are going after younger demos. What about a softer AC station? Think there might be some listeners and review that no one else is going after?

Think there might be some listeners and review that no one else is going after?

Stations don't sell ratings, they sell demos. Older demos have limited advertiser interest. That's why stations are going after younger demos.

Advertisers use other platforms to reach older demos. Not radio.

Stations don't sell ratings, they sell demos. Older demos have limited advertiser interest. That's why stations are going after younger demos.

Advertisers use other platforms to reach older demos. Not radio.

Yes, I totally agree. But you could own the older demo and get absolutely every advertiser buy, or you can continue to be the 6th or 7th ranked in the peak demos and get any leftovers - if they have any money left for you.

Yes, I totally agree. But you could own the older demo and get absolutely every advertiser buy, or you can continue to be the 6th or 7th ranked in the peak demos and get any leftovers - if they have any money left for you.

This has been discussed at length here, and if there was a way to make money doing this, someone would be doing it.

CBS-FM is basically playing that card. Not much left after them.

There are essentially no agency buys for 55+. It's not about "getting every advertiser buy" since there are none

The other issue is that not all 55+ like the same kind of programming. In a very diverse city, the various nationality and ethnic groups will each like different things, and often have subsets within defined groups. Not all non-Hispanic whites like pop oldies, either; there is considerable fragmentation within this group as well.

And in New York City, stations that are ranked down around 20th do $10 to $12 million in billings and are among the top 175 billers in the entire country. If a station is 6th or 7th, it is billing over $25 million and is in the top 30 stations in the whole USA.

There are essentially no agency buys for 55+. It's not about "getting every advertiser buy" since there are none

Exactly, but as we've discussed elsewhere, there is transactional business that one can find. However, it takes legwork to get it, and the products aren't always particularly attractive. They're not selling Pepsi or McDonalds. They're selling lawyer services, retirement homes, and other products for people of that age. And because it takes more than 30 seconds to make a sale to that group, the spots are often pretty long and boring. Doesn't make for very engaging programming. There are stations doing this outside NYC, in suburban NJ and LI. NYC is mainly agency business, and so that's why it's not done in the city.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom