• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cox Media, Meredith, Hearst and others cheer FCC action on ATSC 3.0

If I'm reading it right....ATSC 3.0 will NOT be compatible with current broadcast standards...
Does this mean if someone purchases - or HAS purchased - a "4K" UHD set NOW.....it won't be DIRECTLY compatible with ATSC 3.0???
If this is true.....then it's gonna be another Beta/HD-DVD situation...current 4K technology "all dressed up -- and no place to go"!!???:confused:

Yes, ATSC3 will require different tuners. ATSC3 uses different modulation and different encoding, so I don't think there is any backwards-compatibility.

There should be some ATSC3 tuners already on the market. I think LG in particular was showing some at CES in January.

The fact that ATSC 3.0 lends itself to more "localized" EAS coverage is, IMHO, a MAJOR plus!!
Not sure I'm too keen on the "voluntary compliance" that the FCC notes.....This COULD mean - in certain, especially SMALL markets - that stations will drag their feet in converting to the new standard....
Some are (probably) still smarting from the cost of HD conversion back in '09.....!!!:rolleyes:
The idea of adopting ONE STANDARD from the "get-go" is PARAMOUNT -- otherwise, we end up with multiple "standards" fighting for top bragging rights (think: 1080/60 vs 1150/59 vs .....!!)
And then....there was the AM Stereo "pig-pile" -- Motorola, Harris, Kahn-Hazeltine, Magnavox.......
I'm REALLY hoping that there will be an ample supply of FEATURE-RICH PROGRAM CONTENT to accompany the new technology.....
Just "re-res'ing" Simpsons reruns won't cut it!!!:mad:

Yes, ATSC3 will require different tuners. ATSC3 uses different modulation and different encoding, so I don't think there is any backwards-compatibility.

Could newer TVs be upgraded via a firmware update -- at least those that have some kind of an internet connection or USB port?

There should be some ATSC3 tuners already on the market. I think LG in particular was showing some at CES in January.

Uh, oh! I see another "free converter from the government" boondoggle coming.

Could newer TVs be upgraded via a firmware update -- at least those that have some kind of an internet connection or USB port?

In theory it is possible, but even so I doubt LG would be in a rush to update my 5 year old set.

In theory it is possible, but even so I doubt LG would be in a rush to update my 5 year old set.

A 5-year-old set may be too old. My two 7-year-old Dynex (Best Buy) TVs have no way of upgrading firmware at all, but all of my newer name-brand (bought in 2013 or later) sets can. Whether broadcast standards upgrades are part of that firmware depends on the set, I would suppose.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom