STAR 94.1's HD2 Channel Now Playing What May Be Variety Hits - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: STAR 94.1's HD2 Channel Now Playing What May Be Variety Hits

Quote Originally Posted by MRFLASHPORT View Post
    The more I listen to Star HD-2, the more I am reminded of "94-Q". Man it's great to hear this on radio again. I know, nostalgia. But for me, it takes me back to a simpler time. you know, when people actually TALKED to each other, when you weren't yelled at for not answering the phone/text/email (what's that) and could go out in public and not encounter everyone staring down at screens typing away. Ahh, the good old days. Thank you Entercom. Never thought I would say that.
    AMEN brother, I feel the same way so great to hear real music again, they now have jocks on here,, sounds awesome. If this was on a main signal I guarantee you it would blow the ratings sky high. I have called Star and talked to Marino and he did say they are going to stream it on Tunein, and others very soon..

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSTICK View Post
    AMEN brother, I feel the same way so great to hear real music again, they now have jocks on here,, sounds awesome. If this was on a main signal I guarantee you it would blow the ratings sky high. I have called Star and talked to Marino and he did say they are going to stream it on Tunein, and others very soon..
    When are the jocks on? I have listened over the last few days at different times and have not heard any.
    I'm also curious as to why they are using the "Star" imaging for a different format. Any thoughts on their strategy?
    I agree with everyone else...the music is uptempo and fun. I can't say I like *everything* they play but they hardly ever play a real tuneout.

Quote Originally Posted by wavo View Post
    When are the jocks on? I have listened over the last few days at different times and have not heard any.
    I'm also curious as to why they are using the "Star" imaging for a different format. Any thoughts on their strategy?
    I agree with everyone else...the music is uptempo and fun. I can't say I like *everything* they play but they hardly ever play a real tuneout.
    They were on last Saturday when I posted, but yet to hear them this week. Will probably be a weekly thing I guess???

Quote Originally Posted by jabba17 View Post
    The FM stereo system the FCC selected was developed by Zenith and GE, not RCA.
    The Zenith part sounds better than RCA. IIRC RCA did all they could to "stop" AM. Was there any truth to the royalty being less than a dollar per receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSTICK View Post
    They were on last Saturday when I posted, but yet to hear them this week. Will probably be a weekly thing I guess???
    Speculation is rampant that the HD2 will show up on the translator at 101.1 now playing Star 94. If so, it would make sense to add jocks

Speculation is rampant that the HD2 will show up on the translator at 101.1 now playing Star 94. If so, it would make sense to add jocks
    Then again, this is a format that isn't intended to have jocks in its use at many FM stations.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Then again, this is a format that isn't intended to have jocks in its use at many FM stations.
    Does a "jockless" station do as well as one that does have voice tracked/live jocks? With the advent of Spotify, Pandora, and other internet "jukeboxes" does the DJ become even more essential to radio?

Does a "jockless" station do as well as one that does have voice tracked/live jocks? With the advent of Spotify, Pandora, and other internet "jukeboxes" does the DJ become even more essential to radio?
    Depends. Listeners don't seem to mind jockless on other platforms, do they? If the DJ was "essential" Spotify has tons of money to pay for them. They don't. There must be a reason, right?

The issue with HD, even using a translator, is if there is enough revenue to support live talent. Usually there isn't.

BTW there was a study released last week that said local talent isn't the attraction some think it is, especially with women:

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/162936
    Last edited by TheBigA; 02-28-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Depends. Listeners don't seem to mind jockless on other platforms, do they? If the DJ was "essential" Spotify has tons of money to pay for them. They don't. There must be a reason, right?

The issue with HD, even using a translator, is if there is enough revenue to support live talent. Usually there isn't.

BTW there was a study released last week that said local talent isn't the attraction some think it is, especially with women:

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/162936
    I saw that in one of the trades today! Why do we listen to radio then? Is it because most listeners are not connected in the mobile environment and have no other choice? News? Traffic/weather? You can get all of that with a smartphone.
    You have pointed to data in the past showing young people are still listening. Why do you think they still choose radio when there are so many other options?
    After reading the article I disagree with their conclusion that radio is easier than online. My radio tuner could also fly a 747...it is far from the old 5 pushbutton, 2 knob tuners of yesteryear. Plus...kids today can do technology very easily. Have you ever watched a 5 year old use a smartphone??!!
    There's must be something else. Thoughts?
    Last edited by wavo; 02-28-2017 at 07:09 PM.

I saw that in one of the trades today! Why do we listen to radio then?
    There's must be something else. Thoughts?
    The article I linked explained it: Radio is convenient, easy, and free.

Spotify and Pandora needs to be programmed by somebody. On Air radio is already programmed. That takes time and effort.
    Last edited by TheBigA; 02-28-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast