• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS radio / Entercom in Philly

Bill_W

Star Participant
Maybe Entercom will finally do KYW newsradio 96.5.
Also, what happens between the synergies between the local CBS TV stations and the news, talk, and sports radio stations? It seems to me that there seems to be much shared resources between KYW news-radio and CBS 3. News-radio even moved in with channel 3 and away from other CBS radio stations.

Entercom doesn't operate any all news stations, so it will be interesting to see how they run them once CBS hands the keys over.

I wonder will KYW and WPHT merge and become a single news/talker or will they keep KYW all news on 1060 and 1210 AM talk or will they get rid of the current format on 1210 AM to something else?

I wonder will KYW and WPHT merge and become a single news/talker or will they keep KYW all news on 1060 and 1210 AM talk or will they get rid of the current format on 1210 AM to something else?

No.

KYW is the #1 Biller in Philly (I believe, DavidEduardo mentioned that a while back.)

There is no other format to put on 1210 unless they sell it off to a religious or ethnic broadcaster.

No.

KYW is the #1 Biller in Philly (I believe, DavidEduardo mentioned that a while back.)

There is no other format to put on 1210 unless they sell it off to a religious or ethnic broadcaster.
What is the likelihood of 1210 AM being sold to someone else?

Entercom doesn't operate any all news stations, so it will be interesting to see how they run them once CBS hands the keys over.

Does that really matter? If they keep the same management, programming, and anchor teams at KYW I don't think it would matter who signs the paychecks as long as they don't bounce. I don't think Entercom owns any Spanish language radio stations but CBS does in a few markets including DC.

If I were Entercom, I'd keep both as is, KYW all news and 1210 all talk. It would be awesome if they learned some cross promotion. Do news headlines and 1210 and ask listeners who want to hear more news to tune to 1060. Then, on KYW, aftger the top story of the hour, have the anchor cross promote 1210 to "get your opinion heard and hear what others are saying about the story." Just be sure that talk host is, indeed, talking about that story.

It could definitely help both stations.

Zero. CBS/Entercom doesn't need to spin any Philadelphia stations off.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...com-surrenders-license-of-kdnd-sacramento-mov

http://www.insideradio.com/free/ent...cle_481ccd42-ea4a-11e6-b7f3-6be899256187.html

However Entercom's Sacramento, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle and Boston Clusters are at risk of being over the limit if the Entercom/CBS Radio Deal goes through. Note Entercom's KDND's Sacramento license is surrendered to the FCC. This is to get the Deal process started. Other stations that Entercom wants to cut will be announced at a later time.

Why on God's green earth would you merge 1210 & 1060????? That makes no sense!

They have similar coverage in the metro. One signal does not really enhance the other. 1060 prints money, 1210 has pos cash flow. They will keep both, and keep both formats, because there are no serious options for an AM in 2016.

I wonder if Entercom could swap some stations to EMF for 106.9. Entercom should be able to own up to 5 FMs and 2 AMs in Philadelphia, and EMF usually owns non-comm signals and/or weak commercial signals. I think it would be nice to see an Entercom-EMF swap, although I'm not sure which stations would Entercom give to EMF for 106.9.

Maybe they could trade Boston rim shots WAAF and WKAF for 106.9 in Philly?

I would prefer to leave the Boston spinoffs for commercial broadcasters. Since Entercom will divest stations in Wilkes-Barre, I'm thinking that 95.9 and 107.9 could go to EMF for 106.9 in Philly instead.

Why on God's green earth would you merge 1210 & 1060????? That makes no sense!

They have similar coverage in the metro. One signal does not really enhance the other. 1060 prints money, 1210 has pos cash flow. They will keep both, and keep both formats, because there are no serious options for an AM in 2016.

Given what's happened recently , it won't shock me if 1210 am changes as we know it. Its already happening with WOGL in which a bunch of great people were let go. I think kyw will stay as is.

Given what's happened recently , it won't shock me if 1210 am changes as we know it. Its already happening with WOGL in which a bunch of great people were let go. I think kyw will stay as is.

WOGL is the top rated station in Philly, so I don't think it will get blown up under the Entercom ownership.

You are confusing economy moves and "format freshening" for format changes.

Format changes are very expensive, as they generally result in a total revenue reset and a long period of losses.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom