• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Which Bay Area radio stations would both CBS and Entercom agree to sell

http://awfulannouncing.com/cbs/cbs-...ew-company-will-rights-several-pro-teams.html

Update on the Entercom deal

And the new Entercom will have rights to 45 sports teams including CBS Radio’s portfolio. CBS Radio has rights to professional teams in several major markets including Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia and San Francisco.
CBS Radio has many sports radio stations including WFAN in New York, 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston and KNBR in San Francisco. It also has the CBS Sports Radio Network which has over 300 affiliates across the country.

However, to comply with FCC rules, the company will have to divest stations in markets where both groups own multiple stations including Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle.

In Boston, Entercom would have two FM sports talk stations (WEEI and The Sports Hub) and rights to all of the market’s major sports teams (Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, Red Sox and Revolution) as well as Boston College. It’s likely that the new Entercom would have to divest of two FM stations and could be forced to sell more if the Department of Justice feels the company has too much influence in the market.

Someone on the Lieberman blog commented that KUFX, KITS, KRBQ and KBLX will be the SF stations divested. I agree with that guess.

I agree with this guess but not before a signal swap. They will want to put KGMZ on the best of those (and the most South/EastBay coverage). Say hello to 105.3 The Game, and Live 95.7. Sports on 105.3 makes the most sense especially with the three East Bay boosters (A's, Warriors, Raiders).

We know 98.5 will be divested because it's a San Jose/South Bay radio station? I know it's a long shot and they don't have any money, but do you think Cumulus will add 3 more FM stations to their profile? If they do, then Cumulus have to divest 1 AM from their cluster and maybe their San Jose 97.7 KFOG repeater.

We know 98.5 will be divested because it's a San Jose/South Bay radio station? I know it's a long shot and they don't have any money, but do you think Cumulus will add 3 more FM stations to their profile? If they do, then Cumulus have to divest 1 AM from their cluster and maybe their San Jose 97.7 KFOG repeater.

Bring back Hot 97.7! :) Kidding. That would be my guess as well, the KFOG repeater is a bit redundant given 104.5's overall reach. KFOG (104.5) puts a good 60 over downtown San Jose by itself.

Last edited:
KYLD and KMEL are owned by iHeartMedia not CBS or Intercom.

That's correct. I was simply replying to the title of this thread. CBS and Entercom would agree to a sale of these two stations. They would love it, if these two were sold and dismantled.

That would be my guess as well, the KFOG repeater is a bit redundant given 104.5's overall reach. KFOG (104.5) puts a good 60 over downtown San Jose by itself.

No, it does not. The 60 dbu just barely reaches Sunnyvale. And the 65 dbu, essentially where indoor listening stops, ends before Palo Alto.

Maybe Cumulus would trade something like KRBE for the Sacramento stations and the San Jose. Cumulus may not have the cash to lay out, but there are likely properties they would be open to trading.

No, it does not. The 60 dbu just barely reaches Sunnyvale. And the 65 dbu, essentially where indoor listening stops, ends before Palo Alto.

Guess the "theoretical coverage map" I was looking at is just that, theoretical.

I used to listen when I lived in San Jose and I don't remember it being any worse than any other San Francisco FM.

EDIT: My bad, I got the 60 and 65 mixed up when I was mapping. What I was referencing was the 65. How many other San Francisco stations put in a good 60 into San Jose?

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_03 Feb. 07 08.10.jpg
    ScreenHunter_03 Feb. 07 08.10.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Guess the "theoretical coverage map" I was looking at is just that, theoretical.

I used to listen when I lived in San Jose and I don't remember it being any worse than any other San Francisco FM.

EDIT: My bad, I got the 60 and 65 mixed up when I was mapping. What I was referencing was the 65. How many other San Francisco stations put in a good 60 into San Jose?

KFOG is on Sutro with fairly low power, and there are actually lots of people in the South Bay who choose to listen to 97.7 over 104.5. The stations on San Bruno tend to do a bit better, but I don't believe anyone except the grandfathered high-power stations actually put a 60 dbu contour into San Jose. Off the top of my head, I think those are 99.7, 106.1, 101.3, and 88.5.

You bring up an interesting concept tho. I remember several years ago when Clear Channel moved 104.9 out of Fremont and over to Quimby Road so the coverage area was farther South. This allowed them to essentially have one more station in the market, as the coverage area of 104.9 did not overlap with one of their SF stations. That was a class A signal tho. I don't think the same thing would be possible for KUFX. Maybe a move to Loma Prieta with a directional antenna like KSQL. But that's really killing what is now a decent signal.

Dave B.

https://www.fybush.com/nerw-20170206/

Entercom and all news radio. Wow a reunion will happen for Entercom San Francisco. 20 years ago if theres no cuts FM 95.7 would reunite with AM 740. The last time AM 740 and 95.7 FM were together was when CBS held KPIX 95.7 and KCBS 740. But back then for CBS to merge with Infinity Radio they had to get rid of 95.7 FM and sell it to Bonneville.

Also 20 years ago KCBS saw KGO-AM 810 as a threat at the time that's why they got rid of KPIX-FM.

KFOG is on Sutro with fairly low power, and there are actually lots of people in the South Bay who choose to listen to 97.7 over 104.5. The stations on San Bruno tend to do a bit better, but I don't believe anyone except the grandfathered high-power stations actually put a 60 dbu contour into San Jose. Off the top of my head, I think those are 99.7, 106.1, 101.3, and 88.5.

You bring up an interesting concept tho. I remember several years ago when Clear Channel moved 104.9 out of Fremont and over to Quimby Road so the coverage area was farther South. This allowed them to essentially have one more station in the market, as the coverage area of 104.9 did not overlap with one of their SF stations. That was a class A signal tho. I don't think the same thing would be possible for KUFX. Maybe a move to Loma Prieta with a directional antenna like KSQL. But that's really killing what is now a decent signal.

Dave B.

The last time I lived in San Jose 97.7 was KQHT so it's been awhile. KFFG puts a great signal into the South Bay so I can certainly see why San Jose residents would easily choose 97.7 over 104.5.

https://www.fybush.com/nerw-20170206/

Entercom and all news radio. Wow a reunion will happen for Entercom San Francisco. 20 years ago if theres no cuts FM 95.7 would reunite with AM 740. The last time AM 740 and 95.7 FM were together was when CBS held KPIX 95.7 and KCBS 740. But back then for CBS to merge with Infinity Radio they had to get rid of 95.7 FM and sell it to Bonneville.

Also 20 years ago KCBS saw KGO-AM 810 as a threat at the time that's why they got rid of KPIX-FM.

It will also become a reunion for entercom and Live 105 since they sold it to infinity broadcasting in 1997, if also they do indeed keep the live 105 format as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom