Which Bay Area radio stations would both CBS and Entercom agree to sell - Page 9
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Bay Area radio stations would both CBS and Entercom agree to sell

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    I had to look up divest on google

Still don't understand, Can you care to expain it to me?
    Divest is to "sell off". It means, in this case, that the government's various divisions has required that a number of stations be sold off in order for the CBS and Entercom merger to be approved.

That means that, prior to closing the deal, they have to get rid of certain stations.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Most of the divestiture list wasn’t particularly surprising. I was a little surprised KZOK in Seattle was on the list, though it seemed unlikely Entercom would be able to keep both KZOK and KMPS.

The list in San Francisco, however, was pretty surprising to me. I was VERY surprised to see KOIT on the list and almost as surprised to see KITS wasn’t on it. I have to wonder if the DOJ wasn’t looking a little more closely at the English-language revenue shares like it was in Denver a few years ago.
    I'm certainly going to expect a major shakeup once the buyers of Entercom's divestitures are announced.

Oh Cool

So they have to find an new owner for 99.7?

I just saw the list.

This is INSANITY.

Entercom/CBS Radio (post-merger) is going to keep 97.3 KLLC but is going to divest both KMVQ *and* KOIT ???!!! That is absolute insanity!!!

KMVQ and KOIT as a combo will be very formidable in terms of winning female-oriented advertising dollars. You've already got Star 101.3, the Eighties Channel and KISQ as a tandem (all owned by iHeart). Good luck trying to vie for female ad dollars with Alice as a de facto standalone!!! Seriously, none of the retained stations complement KLLC formatically, with the possible exception of Q102.

They're going to keep underperforming losers like 95.7 The Game and Live 105?? Why???? Even if the plan is to relocate the IP of either KOIT or KMVQ to one of those two signals, it would be a shame given the fact the coverage areas of the 96.5 & 99.7 signals are superior to 95.7 & 105.3.

So, basically, once everything is signed, sealed & delivered, the married CBS/Entercom San Francisco cluster will consist of powerhouse KCBS and Alice @ 97.3, surrounded by a big pile of garbage. Makes sense. (Sigh.)
    Last edited by MarkW; 10-11-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    I just saw the list.

This is INSANITY.

Entercom/CBS Radio (post-merger) is going to keep 97.3 KLLC but is going to divest both KMVQ *and* KOIT ???!!! That is absolute insanity!!!

KMVQ and KOIT as a combo will be very formidable in terms of winning female-oriented advertising dollars. You've already got Star 101.3, the Eighties Channel and KISQ as a tandem (all owned by iHeart). Good luck trying to vie for female ad dollars with Alice as a de facto standalone!!! Seriously, none of the retained stations complement KLLC formatically, with the possible exception of Q102.

They're going to keep underperforming losers like 95.7 The Game and Live 105?? Why???? Even if the plan is to relocate the IP of either KOIT or KMVQ to one of those two signals, it would be a shame given the fact the coverage areas of the 96.5 & 99.7 signals are superior to 95.7 & 105.3.

So, basically, once everything is signed, sealed & delivered, the married CBS/Entercom San Francisco cluster will consist of powerhouse KCBS and Alice @ 97.3, surrounded by a big pile of garbage. Makes sense. (Sigh.)

I think a lot of the choices have to do with making the DOJ comfortable with the share of the market's revenue the surviving cluster will earn. And there's nothing that says Entercom has to---or will---spin KMVQ and KOIT to the same owner.

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Oh Cool

So they have to find an new owner for 99.7?
    The buyers will be announced as soon as that information is available. It's possible that Entercom could move the format to one of the stations they're keeping. It will be interesting to see how Entercom will shake things up in San Francisco.

Maybe Eagle Communications should buy the stations that are being divested! They own and operate several successful stations in Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska! Or what about Townsquare Media?
    Last edited by HenryOchs; 10-12-2017 at 06:11 PM.
    WASSUP YA ALL!!!! IT'S THE WORLD'S MOST LOVEABLE AUTISTIC HAMMERIN' HANK.  I WORKED AT KYLD(WiLD 94.9) IN SAN FRANCISCO FOR OVER FOURTEEN YEARS UNTIL I WAS LET GO IN AUGUST 2008. I'M CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR MY NEXT RADIO JOB, BUT TIMES ARE TOUGH THESE DAYS!!!!

We may see Universal Media Access, Alpha Media, Lotus or Lazer go after some of these divested stations, but we'll see. Format swaps are a possibility in this ongoing transition such as KOIT or Now moving to 105.3 or 97.3. Resulting the drop of Live 105 and Alice.

Why would Alpha buy these stations? They already own 94-5 Bay-FM, and KEZR(Mix 106) in San Jose and also KKIQ/KKDV in the Far East Bay and KUIC in Vacaville!
    WASSUP YA ALL!!!! IT'S THE WORLD'S MOST LOVEABLE AUTISTIC HAMMERIN' HANK.  I WORKED AT KYLD(WiLD 94.9) IN SAN FRANCISCO FOR OVER FOURTEEN YEARS UNTIL I WAS LET GO IN AUGUST 2008. I'M CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR MY NEXT RADIO JOB, BUT TIMES ARE TOUGH THESE DAYS!!!!

Will we see another WiLd 107.7 to 94.9 and 94.9 KSAN to 107.7 frequency swap with KOIT or/both KMVQ??

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast