• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Which Bay Area radio stations would both CBS and Entercom agree to sell

Maybe Hubbard Radio should look into buying a couple of the stations, or perhaps Eagle Communications?

Last edited:
Station Company 12/16 6+ Rating
------- ------------- ---------------
KOIT ENTERCOM 9.2
KCBS CBS RADIO 5.9
KMVQ CBS RADIO 3.7
KLLC CBS RADIO 3.1
KRBQ ENTERCOM 2.3
KBLX ENTERCOM 2.0
KGMZ ENTERCOM 1.7
KITS CBS RADIO 1.6
KUFX ENTERCOM 1.1

Since the FCC allows only 5 FM stations per major market, 4 of the above stations will be "divested".

If I were to guess, KUFX (KFOX) and KITS (Live 105) would be no-brainers to be given the boot. Even though KGMZ (95.7 The Game) has been a colossal ratings disappointment, the Entercom CEO has such a hard-on for that station that I doubt that he'll get rid of it.

Guesses? Lots of changes upcoming for SF radio.

Apparently a merger is in talks and both Entercom and CBS are well represented in the Bay Area.
What stations should both must agree to sell if the deal is to be approved?

The merger was announced as a done deal. Talks are over.

It will now be Entercom's decision alone as to which stations to spin off due to market cap limitations.

The merger was announced as a done deal. Talks are over.

It will now be Entercom's decision alone as to which stations to spin off due to market cap limitations.

True I seen some subsequent articles confirming the merger. But We have to wait and see which stations are cut from the deal.

True I seen some subsequent articles confirming the merger. But We have to wait and see which stations are cut from the deal.

There are a bunch of other issues.

First, the deal has to pass the FCC review and DoJ inspection. There may be markets where there is too much concentration of revenue, even if passing the FCC caps on station count.

Then the "overage" stations will likely go into a trust while a sale is arranged.

Further, there may be some optimization of signals via format swaps within the cluster.

And in the meantime, the FCC may change caps to eliminate band limits or act on the proposal that AMs not be included in the market caps.

In any case, per the declarations today, there are probably only 12 to 15 stations involved out of 224.

San Francisco, Boston and Sacramento are the markets I see for now where Entercom would be over the limit though.

San Diego, Seattle also. There may be some "excess control of revenue" issues in other markets.

KOIT ENTERCOM 9.2
KCBS CBS RADIO 5.9
KMVQ CBS RADIO 3.7
KLLC CBS RADIO 3.1
KRBQ ENTERCOM 2.3
KBLX ENTERCOM 2.0
KGMZ ENTERCOM 1.7
KITS CBS RADIO 1.6
KUFX ENTERCOM 1.1

Since the FCC allows only 5 FM stations per major market, 4 of the above stations will be "divested".

If I were to guess, KUFX (KFOX) and KITS (Live 105) would be no-brainers to be given the boot. Even though KGMZ (95.7 The Game) has been a colossal ratings disappointment, the Entercom CEO has such a hard-on for that station that I doubt that he'll get rid of it.

Would be much better to see the review generated by each station rather than the ratings to make a better guess.

I'm not making my guesses based on ratings alone. If I did, I would have included KGMZ. So what are the better guesses?

Someone on the Lieberman blog commented that KUFX, KITS, KRBQ and KBLX will be the SF stations divested. I agree with that guess.

Someone on the Lieberman blog commented that KUFX, KITS, KRBQ and KBLX will be the SF stations divested. I agree with that guess.

There could also be some signal switches before any spin-off. San Francisco has one of the greater varieties of signal coverage of its major FM facilities because of terrain and transmitter location. Adding in the fact that the market runs from Santa Rosa to Campbell, coverage is a very important consideration.

Of course revenue will be considered, as will 25-54 or 18-49 ratings. 12+ ratings will not be considered.

KOIT ENTERCOM 9.2
KCBS CBS RADIO 5.9
KMVQ CBS RADIO 3.7
KLLC CBS RADIO 3.1
KRBQ ENTERCOM 2.3
KBLX ENTERCOM 2.0
KGMZ ENTERCOM 1.7
KITS CBS RADIO 1.6
KUFX ENTERCOM 1.1

KBLX bills higher than either KRBQ or KLLC.

12+ ratings are likely not even being looked at by the two parties to the transaction.

The criteria would be revenue, signal coverage, format moat and then target demo performance.

Would San Diego really be affected? In that market, Entercom owns Sunny 98.1, KSON and FM 94/9... CBS owns KYXY and Energy 103.7. That's 5 FM's total.

Would San Diego really be affected? In that market, Entercom owns Sunny 98.1, KSON and FM 94/9... CBS owns KYXY and Energy 103.7. That's 5 FM's total.

KSOQ is the 6th station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom