CBS RADIO merges with Entercom: DFW Impact - Page 7
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: CBS RADIO merges with Entercom: DFW Impact

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Speakers View Post
    True, but with any kind of showing, an HD2 could be a valuable part of their "added value" game. Agencies always demand "added value" these days.
    The understanding of HD subchannels is so limited that agencies would not, in their vast majority, be convinced. They want bonus spots, events, digital, etc.

In that way, agencies are smart. While spots on an HD channel may be "added" to the buy, there is no "value".

One station with ground clutter ratings produced by a couple of PPM meters does not make a real audience.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    I agree with David that it's highly unlikely that the Oasis is going to a full power FM. If it does go to a full power stick, it's probably going to be a non-comm. I can't think of any non-comms that seem likely to change formats, though.

Seems more likely that the format will end up on a translator or two or will move to yet another HD2.

While Entercom is still waiting to win the approval from the government to close the merger, I'm speculating that something new is coming to KVIL-HD2.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

When smooth jazz died in every major market, it was due to two things.

First, the PPM hurt hard those stations with low cume but high TSL. The PPM showed that what people wrote in the diary was much more time than actual, frequently interrupted, listening. Smooth jazz is a low cume format.

Second, the format was already aging to the point that many stations had dropped the format before PPM. It got some numbers, but they were significantly over 55. In the transactional markets, there was no agency money for the format.

And in the diary markets, the aging caught up to the format, making it a hard sell even with local direct.

It sure is not going on a full signal in Dallas.
    David, I respect your opinion. Perhaps it is moving to another HD2 signal. I just think if they were going to outright kill the format, they wouldn't have said anything.
    It's also possible that this is much ado about nothing. "Big things" for the Oasis could mean a concert series or something.

Quote Originally Posted by tested View Post
    David, I respect your opinion. Perhaps it is moving to another HD2 signal. I just think if they were going to outright kill the format, they wouldn't have said anything.
    It's also possible that this is much ado about nothing. "Big things" for the Oasis could mean a concert series or something.
    Whenever I see any radio station promoting "big changes", it usually indicates that a format change is imminent. Although it may or may not be the case for The Oasis, there's certainly something going on at The Oasis right now.

Quote Originally Posted by miketheradioguy View Post
    Whenever I see any radio station promoting "big changes", it usually indicates that a format change is imminent. Although it may or may not be the case for The Oasis, there's certainly something going on at The Oasis right now.
    To the contrary, when a station promotes "change" to its current listeners, it's an effort to get them to listen more with some change or improvement that will increase loyalty and usage.

Stations that are changing format generally don't let the current staff know, as doing so opens it up to swansongs and other nastiness.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Stations that are changing format generally don't let the current staff know, as doing so opens it up to swansongs and other nastiness.
    Also tips their hand to competitors who might beat them to a particular format.

To the contrary, when a station promotes "change" to its current listeners, it's an effort to get them to listen more with some change or improvement that will increase loyalty and usage.

I'm surprised to see how skeptical you are about KVIL-HD2 changing formats. We'll find out what these "big changes" are all about at the end of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by miketheradioguy View Post
    I'm surprised to see how skeptical you are about KVIL-HD2 changing formats. We'll find out what these "big changes" are all about at the end of the week.
    I'm not skeptical, as there is essentially no listening to any HD2 or HD3 channel in the Dallas area and whatever they do has absolutely no bearing on the success of the cluster or the company.

Announced "changes" are usually enhancements. Otherwise, why tell your current audience that something is coming that will replace a format they like. That is counter-intuitive.

I see they just changed the name of the Facebook page from The Oasis 103.7 HD-2 to The Oasis DFW. Seems to me like it's moving.

Quote Originally Posted by tested View Post
    I see they just changed the name of the Facebook page from The Oasis 103.7 HD-2 to The Oasis DFW. Seems to me like it's moving.
    Or perhaps adding a translator

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast