• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS RADIO merges with Entercom: DFW Impact

True, but with any kind of showing, an HD2 could be a valuable part of their "added value" game. Agencies always demand "added value" these days.

The understanding of HD subchannels is so limited that agencies would not, in their vast majority, be convinced. They want bonus spots, events, digital, etc.

In that way, agencies are smart. While spots on an HD channel may be "added" to the buy, there is no "value".

One station with ground clutter ratings produced by a couple of PPM meters does not make a real audience.

I agree with David that it's highly unlikely that the Oasis is going to a full power FM. If it does go to a full power stick, it's probably going to be a non-comm. I can't think of any non-comms that seem likely to change formats, though.

Seems more likely that the format will end up on a translator or two or will move to yet another HD2.

While Entercom is still waiting to win the approval from the government to close the merger, I'm speculating that something new is coming to KVIL-HD2.

When smooth jazz died in every major market, it was due to two things.

First, the PPM hurt hard those stations with low cume but high TSL. The PPM showed that what people wrote in the diary was much more time than actual, frequently interrupted, listening. Smooth jazz is a low cume format.

Second, the format was already aging to the point that many stations had dropped the format before PPM. It got some numbers, but they were significantly over 55. In the transactional markets, there was no agency money for the format.

And in the diary markets, the aging caught up to the format, making it a hard sell even with local direct.

It sure is not going on a full signal in Dallas.

David, I respect your opinion. Perhaps it is moving to another HD2 signal. I just think if they were going to outright kill the format, they wouldn't have said anything.
It's also possible that this is much ado about nothing. "Big things" for the Oasis could mean a concert series or something.

David, I respect your opinion. Perhaps it is moving to another HD2 signal. I just think if they were going to outright kill the format, they wouldn't have said anything.
It's also possible that this is much ado about nothing. "Big things" for the Oasis could mean a concert series or something.

Whenever I see any radio station promoting "big changes", it usually indicates that a format change is imminent. Although it may or may not be the case for The Oasis, there's certainly something going on at The Oasis right now.

Whenever I see any radio station promoting "big changes", it usually indicates that a format change is imminent. Although it may or may not be the case for The Oasis, there's certainly something going on at The Oasis right now.

To the contrary, when a station promotes "change" to its current listeners, it's an effort to get them to listen more with some change or improvement that will increase loyalty and usage.

Stations that are changing format generally don't let the current staff know, as doing so opens it up to swansongs and other nastiness.

To the contrary, when a station promotes "change" to its current listeners, it's an effort to get them to listen more with some change or improvement that will increase loyalty and usage.

Stations that are changing format generally don't let the current staff know, as doing so opens it up to swansongs and other nastiness.

I'm surprised to see how skeptical you are about KVIL-HD2 changing formats. We'll find out what these "big changes" are all about at the end of the week.

I'm surprised to see how skeptical you are about KVIL-HD2 changing formats. We'll find out what these "big changes" are all about at the end of the week.

I'm not skeptical, as there is essentially no listening to any HD2 or HD3 channel in the Dallas area and whatever they do has absolutely no bearing on the success of the cluster or the company.

Announced "changes" are usually enhancements. Otherwise, why tell your current audience that something is coming that will replace a format they like. That is counter-intuitive.

I see they just changed the name of the Facebook page from The Oasis 103.7 HD-2 to The Oasis DFW. Seems to me like it's moving.

I see they just changed the name of the Facebook page from The Oasis 103.7 HD-2 to The Oasis DFW. Seems to me like it's moving.

Or perhaps adding a translator

Did anyone notice that if you go to the KVIIL site and scroll to the bottom the logo has changed back to 107.5. oasis_300x250.jpg

Oasis

My opinion is that I think they will put la grande to 1075 hd2 and move The Oasis to its original 107.5 FM spot. IF they do that, The Oasis will be THE only station I listen to!

My opinion is that I think they will put la grande to 1075 hd2 and move The Oasis to its original 107.5 FM spot. IF they do that, The Oasis will be THE only station I listen to!

The Oasis and the format died with the advent of PPM in 2008; it was aging even before that.

La Grande is billing much more now than Oasis did before the format was killed. And that was a long time ago.

There are no major market smooth jazz stations left. There is a reason... they can't make money.

Let's say you're Entercom. You have a high biller in La Grande. Now what do you do?

1) Keep the format and learn all you can to see if it might also bolster billing in other markets you have with a poor performer. You could care less if it's a lone wolf in your portfolio, it's just a successful moneymaker and you're really happy about that.

or

2) You know nothing about Spanish language radio and it's the only one in your portfolio. Forget how well it does, you're changing the format to something where you have expertise.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom