• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS Radio to merge with Entercom

Radio Disney has a deal with CBS Radio to air their signal on HD2 channels, but because CBS Radio will be Entercom soon, will Disney have to get involved in this merger?

My understanding is that CBS leases HD2 channels to Disney. This is like a landlord-tenant agreement; if a property is sold, generally the tenant stays on.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article130697129.html

SacBee reports that Entercom surrendered 107.9 FM's Sacramento license for 2 reasons one to get the CBS Radio Deal started and two to resolve a scandal a decade ago involving the 2007 staff at KDND Sacramento over the death of a contestant.

There was just one reason: the pending review of the KDND license was an obstacle to the merger with CBS. The expectation at Entravision is that surrendering the license clears to the whole matter to allow review of the deal to proceed.

Exceeding the ownership caps is not an impediment to "starting" the deal. The matter will be addressed in the FCC filing where stations to be sold or traded off will be addressed. At closing, such stations will have to have deals in place or they will go into a blind trust.

The deal is "done" and it is a merger, which means that there is a requirement that the combined entity comply with market caps at the time the FCC approved transaction is closed.

There was just one reason: the pending review of the KDND license was an obstacle to the merger with CBS. The expectation at Entravision is that surrendering the license clears to the whole matter to allow review of the deal to proceed.

Exceeding the ownership caps is not an impediment to "starting" the deal. The matter will be addressed in the FCC filing where stations to be sold or traded off will be addressed. At closing, such stations will have to have deals in place or they will go into a blind trust.

The deal is "done" and it is a merger, which means that there is a requirement that the combined entity comply with market caps at the time the FCC approved transaction is closed.

Wait why is Entravision involved with KDND Sacramento and the deal between CBS Radio and Entercom?

Wait why is Entravision involved with KDND Sacramento and the deal between CBS Radio and Entercom?

Sorry, that should have read Entercom. I have an autocomplete that fills in Entravision if I type Ent with a capital E and I guess I will have to disable it.

Sorry, that should have read Entercom. I have an autocomplete that fills in Entravision if I type Ent with a capital E and I guess I will have to disable it.

I know, most of my typos come from this as well, as most of the time I use my phone to discuss regularly.

Darn you, autocorrect! ;)

Anyways, 107.9 will move to 106.5 and I checked the signals of both stations, and while one of them is near downtown, 106.5's signal is near the mountains

Totally caught off guard by the news. Radio stations are now to the point were their expensive real-estate. That being said. Big undertaking for them. And quite ironic they would pick up stations from a legacy group. First NBC, now CBS.

http://awfulannouncing.com/cbs/cbs-...ew-company-will-rights-several-pro-teams.html

Update on Entercom. Wait CBS Radio/ Entercom does not own KNBR. Cumulus owns KNBR but carries CBS Sports/Talk programming. Entercom owns 95.7 The Game a sports/talk station that goes after KNBR.

And the new Entercom will have rights to 45 sports teams including CBS Radio’s portfolio. CBS Radio has rights to professional teams in several major markets including Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia and San Francisco.
CBS Radio has many sports radio stations including WFAN in New York, 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston and KNBR in San Francisco. It also has the CBS Sports Radio Network which has over 300 affiliates across the country.

However, to comply with FCC rules, the company will have to divest stations in markets where both groups own multiple stations including Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle.

Looks like the CBS Sports Radio stations with only CBS Sports Radio in the name will have to figure out another "original" name/brand for their format soon, due to this merger.

Looks like the CBS Sports Radio stations with only CBS Sports Radio in the name will have to figure out another "original" name/brand for their format soon, due to this merger.

I'm not sure about that. Did you read Tom Taylor's newsletter today? He says:

"[Entercom] gains the use of “CBS Sports Radio” and associated trademarks."

I would say the only limit is the length of the original partnership deal.

http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/human-resources/71473/

Entercom Deal and the impact in Greenville Radio Market

Entercom operates WTPT (93.3 FM), WSPA (98.9 FM), WROQ (101.1 FM), WYRD (106.3 FM), WFBC (93.7 FM), WORD/WYRD (950/1330 AM – ESPN Upstate) and WFBC-HD2 (96.3 FM) out of its Greenville office. Entercom Upstate also carries Clemson Tiger sports and Carolina Panther football.

“To our listeners and advertisers, I don’t expect any significant changes,” said Steve Sinicropi, general manager of Entercom Upstate. “Once the deal closes, who knows?”

According to a news release, the merger will create a company with pro forma revenues of nearly $1.7 billion annually, based on both company’s individual trailing 12 month revenues. The tax-free merger will result in a combined company named Entercom with its headquarters in Philadelphia. Under the terms of the merger, CBS Radio shareholders will receive 72% of all outstanding shares of the combined company while Entercom shareholders will own 28% of the combined company.

“Entercom is a superbly run company, and together with CBS Radio’s powerful brands and remarkable people, we are creating an organization that will be even better positioned to succeed in this rapidly evolving media landscape,” said Leslie Moonves, CBS Corp. chairman and CEO, in the release.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom