CBS Radio to merge with Entercom - Page 10
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: CBS Radio to merge with Entercom

Quote Originally Posted by itsRoly4266 View Post
    No matter what, RadioInsight says that the Patriots will remain on 'BZ-FM.
    Since ESPN operates WEEI-FM under an LMA, could ESPN purchase the station outright from Entercom? Makes more sense than trading it to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by miketheradioguy View Post
    Since ESPN operates WEEI-FM under an LMA, could ESPN purchase the station outright from Entercom? Makes more sense than trading it to someone else.
    The Walt Disney Company, majority owner of ESPN, got out of the radio business ten years ago. ESPN also operates WEPN-FM in NYC under an LMA from Emmis. It seems pretty clear that Disney prefers operating radio stations to owning them.

However, there are a few exceptions. They own KSPN-AM in LA. They own WMVP-AM in Chicago. They own WEPN-AM in NYC. They own KESN-FM in Dallas. Could they buy WEEI outright? I imagine the answer to that is "if they have to." But they'd rather operate it with someone else being responsible for the towers and transmitters.

So this might be one of those situations where it's best to stick the station in a trust, have Disney pay the LMA fee to the trust, and let the trust deal with all the legal and engineering stuff. That's what I'd do if I didn't want to get into the ownership business.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    The Walt Disney Company, majority owner of ESPN, got out of the radio business ten years ago. ESPN also operates WEPN-FM in NYC under an LMA from Emmis. It seems pretty clear that Disney prefers operating radio stations to owning them.

However, there are a few exceptions. They own KSPN-AM in LA. They own WMVP-AM in Chicago. They own WEPN-AM in NYC. They own KESN-FM in Dallas. Could they buy WEEI outright? I imagine the answer to that is "if they have to." But they'd rather operate it with someone else being responsible for the towers and transmitters.

So this might be one of those situations where it's best to stick the station in a trust, have Disney pay the LMA fee to the trust, and let the trust deal with all the legal and engineering stuff. That's what I'd do if I didn't want to get into the ownership business.
    I did read somewhere that ESPN could purchase WEPN-FM outright from Emmis, if they decide to sell all their radio stations. It would be interesting to see if such a sale happens.

I did read somewhere that ESPN could purchase WEPN-FM outright from Emmis, if they decide to sell all their radio stations. It would be interesting to see if such a sale happens.
    It falls into that category of "only if they have to."

ESPN does NOT operate WEEI-FM under an LMA unless something has changed very recently. 'EEI-FM runs mostly local programming not affiliated with ESPN.

The AM is running all or mostly ESPN programming, but I was under the impression Entercom still operated it. It is, however, possible that ESPN is running 850 since the local programming moved to 93.7 roughly 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    It falls into that category of "only if they have to."
    I understand. I wanted to figure out a way how Entercom could settle DOJ issues in Boston once they complete the review of the CBS Radio-Entercom merger, and if an outright purchase by ESPN would be possible to keep WEEI and The Sports Hub both competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    ESPN does NOT operate WEEI-FM under an LMA unless something has changed very recently. 'EEI-FM runs mostly local programming not affiliated with ESPN.

The AM is running all or mostly ESPN programming, but I was under the impression Entercom still operated it. It is, however, possible that ESPN is running 850 since the local programming moved to 93.7 roughly 5 years ago.
    I got things mixed up when I saw that ESPN operates WEEI-FM. The strategy here is how Entercom plans to settle issues with the DOJ once they finish reviewing the merger. It would be interesting to see how the programming's going be shuffled around post-merger.

We don't even know what the DOJ is thinking on this issue. This is a very pro-business administration; perhaps its appointees will turn a blind eye to possible market domination by one media corporation.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    We don't even know what the DOJ is thinking on this issue. This is a very pro-business administration; perhaps its appointees will turn a blind eye to possible market domination by one media corporation.
    Exactly. There could also be some changes in ownership laws in the next year. The FCC Chairman has said he wants to look into it. A lot of things can happen that don't involve selling the station.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    In today's "Tom Taylor Now" there is an article with the title, "No, iHeart’s not peeling off any stations. "

“If they’re holding things valued at 12-times cash flow, there’s no way they can sell stations for 7-times or even 8-times. Those assets are what generate the cash flow they need to service their debt.”

The article is intended to quash speculation that iHeart might sell some stations, a rumor based more on second guessing the recent belt tightening in certain areas than on reality.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast