• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

And The Beat Goes On....

I've noticed that the music continues to play non-stop with no commercials and only a break once in awhile to hear the ID ( over the music on top of that) on 1210 am for whatever reason. I guess they haven't found anything to put on the station. Are they waiting for something special?

I couldn't help but notice they've been turning the transmitter on and off trying to fix an issue with the nighttime transmitter. I noticed it at night the sound is not as good and the Beat doesn't have the base to it like the daytime transmitter does.

What are your guys's thoughts? Are they looking for someone to take it over or broker programming on it?

I was listening this morning for about 45 minutes, lots of 70s and 80s AC and only a couple of Spanish language songs. Sounds like a placeholder to me, especially since there were no sweepers or liners other than the legal ID. Speaking of which, it sounded like the legal ID they game was WNMA Miami, Miami Springs, which would not be the correct ID as Miami Springs is the CoL and that is what should follow the call sign. I may have misheard it, though.

Last edited:
Sidenote: Multicultural's WEXY 1520 in Broward runs the Music of Your Life network overnight and they never play sweepers in the spots where the network goes silent for a few seconds so the local station can run them. As a matter of fact, I have yet to hear them play a legal ID when they're running MoYL.

Lots of talk about 1210 WMNA over HERE on the RD Boards, by the way, regarding the loss of ESPN to 990 AM.

Yes, I heard this as well. WOYL runs 12 midnight to 6 AM Monday - Saturday. I was in the car and heard it on a Sunday evening around 7 PM, so I am guessing, they kick it on at 6 or 7 on Sundays til Monday 6 AM. No ID's, no liners, no sweeps, just dead air on the local avail spots.

Multicultural Radio is a brokering broadcaster, they do not do music formats. No programming, jocks, air personalities. The only "music" they'll play is if someone buys the time and does it themselves. Outside of that, its a necessary evil, just filler to put something on the air. As is the case with 1210 and it's loosing ESPN. (I wonder if they knew it was coming, or if it was a shock to MRBI. I am guessing "shock" because it seems they were not prepared for it. The whole thing with 1210 seems slap dash and tossed together at the last minute.)

Back when WJCC and WMNA were in the same building off U.S out in Northwest Dade and, I think, one was Spanish Political Liberal and the other Spanish Political Conservative, they ran music blocks (much like described above) as filler for the unsold or dead hours. All automated and jockless from the sounds of it, unlike WEXY, where you hear their (board ops?) talking up the music.

I am pretty sure that their Wilton Manors sister, WEXY 1520, is owned and operated directly by MRBI. But I know for a fact WJCC 1700 is an 24-7 LMA. I think it'll go the way of WJCC; finding someone to do a 24-7 LMA, than anything else. Definitely WILL NOT be any in house programmed (neither local or from New York) music format.

I seem to recall WEXY, when MRBI first got it, they flipped from their current brokered Black Gospel format to Korean Sports; then to Spanish Christian (pretty much what you hear on the old 1320 WDBF; whatever their new calls are these days), then gave up and went back to the brokered Black Gospel format.

Last edited:
. . . as far as the Miami merger resulting into two sports station in the new CBS/Entercom cluster -- WQAM 560 and WAXY 790 -- the same thing is happening in #13 Seattle. only with Country. CBS brings KMPS FM 94.1 and Entercom bring KKWF 100.7 The Wolf. KMPS is #13 with an overall 3.4. KKWF if #21 with an overall 2.3. So, it's obvious one has to go . . . probably KKWF.

. . . and speaking of the WSFS 104.3 The Shark's poor performance: was looking at Seattle's Alternative and Active Rock Stations

Entercom is doing really well with the alternative format there. KNDD 107.7 The End is #10 with a 3.4. But Seattle is where Alt Rock was born, and KNDD went on the air in 1991 just went Grunge was breaking, so they're entrenched with that audience. Even their Active Rocker KISW Rock 99.9 has a 3.6. Both are in the Top Ten

iHeart's KFOO FM Alt 102, the poser of the bunch, is doing awful with a 0.8 overall.

The world famous, KEXP 90.3 has a 1.1 overall, which is pretty respectable for a non-commercial outlet. They're beating three iHeart and two CBS outlets.

Point being: Entercom does a good job with Alternative and Active Rock, but it's just not working in Miami. We already now Active Rock works here, after the failure of Cox's 93 Rock, and further back, 94.9 Zeta. Its not Entercom, it's the market and it's ambivalence to rock. And now, the lone "rock" outlet, WBGG 105.9 seems to be transitioning from Classic Rock to Classic Hits. Perhaps Entercom will see an opening for Classic Rock in Miami and flip The Shark to a Classic Rocker and just leave Sports on the AM, with WQAM?

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom