• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Vancouver's traffic reporting accuracy: NEWS 1130 vs. AM730

News24/7

New Participating Member
These two stations provide traffic frequently. If you care, you might know that this title can be changed like this: "Vancouver's traffic: every 10 minutes vs. every 5 minutes", "'Very latest and most accurate' vs. #1",... Yeah, that's what to show on these two stations. I found that on Twitter, @AM730Traffic only gets 43.000 followers (rounded) and @NEWS1130Traffic gets 76.000 followers (also rounded). While AM730 says "All traffic, all the time. Call #730 if you get any updates", NEWS 1130 says "Vancouver's Traffic Station with updates every 10 minutes on the 1's." I've read several other forums and found that the accuracy that AM730 delivers is less than NEWS 1130. Can you tell me which station is more accurate for up to the second traffic information that I need daily for Metro Vancouver? (Now, I think that "AM730 Traffic Centre" is unreal, because I've never seen it for a decade it ran, and I've seen NEWS1130 Traffic Center once (20th anniversary.))

Last edited:
These two stations provide traffic frequently. If you care, you might know that this title can be changed like this: "Vancouver's traffic: every 10 minutes vs. every 5 minutes", "'Very latest and most accurate' vs. #1",... Yeah, that's what to show on these two stations. I found that on Twitter, @AM730Traffic only gets 43.000 followers (rounded) and @NEWS1130Traffic gets 76.000 followers (also rounded). While AM730 says "All traffic, all the time. Call #730 if you get any updates", NEWS 1130 says "Vancouver's Traffic Station with updates every 10 minutes on the 1's." I've read several other forums and found that the accuracy that AM730 delivers is less than NEWS 1130. Can you tell me which station is more accurate for up to the second traffic information that I need daily for Metro Vancouver? (Now, I think that "AM730 Traffic Centre" is unreal, because I've never seen it for a decade it ran, and I've seen NEWS1130 Traffic Center once (20th anniversary.))

Reminder... AM 730 is under the same operations as 980 CKNW so the Traffic Center could be branded as AM 730 but is probably the CKNW Traffic Center considering that CKNW is the main station for news and other things at Corus Vancouver.

730 in Vancouver and 730 in Montreal may be the only all traffic stations in the world.Any others?Many years ago LA tried on
1650. You would think Los Angeles would be the perfect market, but that frequency didn't cover all of LA.

Mexico City had one on AM 1560 years ago. It's doing something else now.

It went silent, and was taken back by one of the family members of the previous owner, GRC.

How much does it cost to run an all traffic format anyway? Hopefully not much. Corus shares are going down down down...

I would assume that it's something like seven-digits, based on the fact that employee wages have to be paid basically, but there are also the costs of operating some hundreds of cameras (do such costs even exist anyway?)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom