• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 1500

Checked again tonight after I changed antennas outside... Still nothing strong, but WFED is audible with a Washington Wizards game. As far as I can recall, this is the first time I've heard 1500 from DC down here.

By the way, does WFED do some sort of time pips on regular intervals? I keep hearing and seeing little dits and dahs occasionally on the lower sideband of 1500 on the SDR. Long tone followed by a few pips. Seems to be centered around 1000 Hz. Could just be some weird spillover from WLAC, which is super strong here this evening at the moment and running full 10 kHz wide audio.

Checked again tonight after I changed antennas outside... Still nothing strong, but WFED is audible with a Washington Wizards game. As far as I can recall, this is the first time I've heard 1500 from DC down here.

I heard the same thing here on the beach. Weak, but the game was definitely audible, and easy enough to follow. First time I can recall hearing WFED at this location. I don't recall hearing any time pips, but I do recall the splatter from WLAC blasting away.

1500 is an interesting frequency in S.A.

Daytime is semi-local KBRN, an oldies station in Boerne with a fairly strong signal.

After KBRN signs off at sunset, XEDF "Radio Fórmula" in Mexico City and daytimer XEFL "FL" in Guanajuato can be heard mixing with each other. KSTP sometimes comes through as well. I've also heard KANI "Great Gospel 1500" in Wharton, TX, a few times. In addition, the station with my favorite call letters, KJIM :cool: "The Memory Maker" in Sherman, TX (near the OK border), can usually be heard airing news and NOAA weather before it signs off for the day.

At night, XEDF is dominant. KSTP is often heard underneath, and occasionally it will bubble up to the top with a surprisingly decent signal. If I aim east, I can sometimes hear KCLF popping in and out.

Around sunrise XEFL comes back into the mix when it signs on for the day. Later KJIM, playing classic hits, takes over at signon until KBRN is back again.

In Northwest Arkansas -

Daytime - KPGM, Pawhuska, OK

By sunset, I may hear KJIM, Sherman, TX

Nighttime - Usually KSTP, St. Paul, MN

Last edited:
Earlier tonight in Northwest Arkansas, I checked 1500 as it was getting dark out. Instead of hearing KSTP, I was hearing KCLF, New Roads, LA - dominant at one point. Later, I heard KSTP along with KCLF. KSTP became dominant for a time.

Last edited:
Yakima WA
Nothing daytime
Nights - Usually a variable signal from KSTP Minneapolis (about 1,300 miles) with ESPN. KSJX San Jose can be heard N-S with Vietnamese programming.

Wanted - The only one I'd really like to hear on 1500 is XEDF Mexico City, supposedly 50kw running the Radio Formula news/talk network. Haven't been able to catch them during Au. KHKA Honolulu is only in my dreams as is WFED...

crazy thing last night driving home...1530 ESPN Cincy came in clearer on the radio than 1500 Minneapolis :eek:

WCKY gets to stay on non-directional day pattern for a couple of hours after Cincinnati sunset because the other dominant station on 1530 is (co-owned) KFBK, Sacramento. When they go to night pattern, they stay at 50kw, but with a null to the west (including northwest and southwest). Here in the Chicago area, we have a rimshot daytime suburban station on 1530. WCKY blows the doors off of it during the hour or two before sunset.

In eastern Iowa:

Nothing daytime. Nights usually KSTP. The signal isn't as strong or reliable as it is west of my area.

Until it went dark in 2003, did your part of eastern Iowa receive at least a faint daytime signal from the former WGEN-1500 Geneseo, IL (which signed on in 1963)? IIRC it was always a 250-watt daytimer.

Until it went dark in 2003, did your part of eastern Iowa receive at least a faint daytime signal from the former WGEN-1500 Geneseo, IL (which signed on in 1963)? IIRC it was always a 250-watt daytimer.

I was able to hear it as far away as Fairfield. The signal in Iowa City was faint, but intelligible.

Nabbed another one!!!

Days::Very strong local, 10KW KSJX, literally right outside my front door. Its not more that 5.3 miles away.

Nights::: A weaker (but still extremely strong) 5KW KSJX. If I null it just right, I can here KSTP underneath ( 1583 miles ), out of Saint Paul, Minnesota, very clearly.

Last edited:
Nice that you can null the station next door to pull in KSTP.
With some stations, I can null them out, and others I can not, its weird. I'm using the HD series of the PK magnetic loop (20"). If KSJX wasn't their, I think KSTP would be fully listenable.

WFED comes up the Atlantic coast and in to So.NE as well as any station on the band. Clean unwavering signal starts well before sundown in winter and tonight 1500 was very good at 6:15 pm.
I used to like the old WTOP. Good programming. FED doesn't have much to offer someone not living in DC.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom