Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unusual Radio Stations: local, strange or interesting

Most interesting or unique "commercial" radio station in 2019 is probably WPCI in Greenville SC 1490AM. A guy who owns Paper Cutters, Inc owns it and pretty much just plays his favorite tunes. It's automated and has a pretty good signal. I was very excited when I got my new car with an HD radio in it because the station is listed on the HDRadio.com site -- but the HD must be turned off. No commercials air on the station, there is no stream. But it's very unusual. Never know what you're going to hear.

The story of Ted Tucker (Desert West Air Ranchers / Cochise Broadcasting) is well documented for a decade plus in the various state boards of this forum. Thus, it probably fits into the 'interesting' category best of all.

While listening to the original station's internet stream (KCDX) a couple days ago, a sweeper mentioned "thousands of songs - commercial free", which immediately segued into a commercial for Cable-One.

Now, Ted does run a commercial an hour during the election season (I mean, you can't turn away money like that, I get it!), thus the sweeper isn't exactly truthful, but the point is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by AMRocks View Post
    Most interesting or unique "commercial" radio station in 2019 is probably WPCI in Greenville SC 1490AM. A guy who owns Paper Cutters, Inc owns it and pretty much just plays his favorite tunes. It's automated and has a pretty good signal. I was very excited when I got my new car with an HD radio in it because the station is listed on the HDRadio.com site -- but the HD must be turned off. No commercials air on the station, there is no stream. But it's very unusual. Never know what you're going to hear.
    oh, but au contraire

they do stream WPCI, and at 128k stereo no less
    https://www.papercuttersinc.com/hunt...casting-group/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12