Thread: WXQW drops a tower and class for night time

WXQW drops a tower and class for night time

WXQW AM Mobile drops a tower and class (B to D) for night time. Looks like it won't impact night signal. Very difficult to pick up some nights in the metro.
    WLYB FM
    96.3 Demopolis AL.
    100.5 Meridian Mississippi.

WRYC FM
    92.5 Frisco City/Monroeville

Why does a minor drop in nighttime power make 660 have to move from a class B to a D?
    Poledo

If you have less than 250 watts at night, you're a class D. I'm just surprised they're keeping one of their nighttime towers. If I were dropping to a class D and only had one daytime tower, all but one of the nighttime array would be gone, too.

Gotcha.
    It seems like dropping to 1 tower day/night and adding a translator would have a better cost to benefit ratio.
    Does this have any effect on their ability to pick up a translator? Easier/cheaper?
    Anyone know what was wrong with tower #3?

Could WABF move to this site to solve their problems getting a city grade signal to Fairhope from the proposed Prichard tower site?
    Poledo

Quote Originally Posted by seedless View Post
    Gotcha.
    It seems like dropping to 1 tower day/night and adding a translator would have a better cost to benefit ratio.
    Does this have any effect on their ability to pick up a translator? Easier/cheaper?

Could WABF move to this site to solve their problems getting a city grade signal to Fairhope from the proposed Prichard tower site?
    If I remember correctly, a truck ran into one of the guy wires and they took the third tower down back in the late 90's.

They have two towers now, and are dropping to just one day and night. And it will affect their nighttime signal according to the filings. I fully expect to lose them completely at night here in Foley. They put an OK signal here now, but it's subject to interference from WSM on one side and WSCR's HD sideband on the other. That HD sideband sometimes overpowers it even now.

Quote Originally Posted by seedless View Post
    Gotcha.

Night time power will only benefit listeners in the metro within the proximity of the tower. Listeners will not tolerate static, radio geeks will. There is a lobe to the SE which means they are protecting something to the north.

As far as WABF. Relocating an AM is difficult and costly, and in most cases the result is less desirable. Their latest move proved that.

That is why you see many AM stations sign off when a tower site is lost, or sold at a bottom price. I saw two sold in the last 24 months for less than 25K (with no tower site).
    Last edited by Groove1670; 01-24-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    WLYB FM
    96.3 Demopolis AL.
    100.5 Meridian Mississippi.

WRYC FM
    92.5 Frisco City/Monroeville