• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Trump budget plan could privatize CPB, cause uncertain future for NPR/PBS

His administration's budget cut could slash the entire Corporation for Public Broadcasting budget of approximately $445,000,000. Slash it and most public stations would cease to exist. I would suppose several large-market PBS/NPRs could get enough funding from viewers to stay on the air with independent public programming (ala KCET).
The total cut to spending could be $10.5 trillion. Rough times ahead for Public TV/Radio?

https://mediamatters.org/blog/2017/...plan-would-be-devastating-public-media/215060

Most public stations receive an amount that is less than sales tax as a percentage of their operating fund from CPB. I really doubt there would be many stations going under because of CPB funding going away. Public broadcasters have proven themselves to be resourceful and creative at generating funding and I suspect the very threat, whether it materializes or not, should be a warning to maximize talents at local stations to 'take it up a notch'. With that said, I'd worry about the survival of small stations where the local operating dollars are but a small fraction of the expenses, generally covered by the generous help of larger stations that might not be able to help as much as they presently do or offer discounted rates based on their ability to pay. In these cases, the generosity of radio people and the dedication of volunteers would likely prevent the demise of the smallest of stations.

Looking at annual reports, it is easy to see the CPB dollars are minimal lines on the 'income' sources. If stations are so much on the edge that they can't survive a small decrease it is a wonder any of them survive equipment failures or a lightning strike. Any station has a bit of a reserve to get them past any downturn. Add to that, at least Public Radio, is stronger than ever in listening audience and ability to generate Underwriting.

I looked at one Public Radio broadcaster. They manage to attract a nice audience (comparing signals received to actual listening, they have 150% compared to total listeners divided by stations received) and produce an income between donors and Underwriting of $2 per $1,000 in retail sales, a figure a commercial station would be happy with...quite happy (in fact donors represent 26 cents per $1,000 in retail sales with $1.74 per $1,000 coming from Underwriting). And that is not including any CPB dollars...in the neighborhood of 6% more.

As we discovered under Obama, the President's budget doesn't matter. For eight years, he submitted budgets and Congress ignored them. At the end of the day, it's up to Congress to appropriate money, and they've never stopped funding CPB, regardless of what certain members have said. Congress funds CPB because they provide money for local districts. To cut money to home districts is not good politics.

And yes, the other fact is that the Congressional appropriation is a small part of a station's budget. Given the rhetoric we've been seeing during the election and transition, it will be easier than ever for non-profits to raise money.

As we discovered under Obama, the President's budget doesn't matter.

As we know under the Constitution, a President does not dictate his budget. That's up to the House.

As we know under the Constitution, a President does not dictate his budget. That's up to the House.

I think that's what I said. Google the words "dead on arrival" and you'll see stories about useless Presidential budgets going back to Reagan.

Also Trump won't actually submit his first budget until next year. Meanwhile, CPB is already funded two years in advance.

The real death knell to public broadcasting will come if the FCC decides to do away with non-commercial licences, making exceptions for religious broadcasters under the veil of "religious liberty"

The real death knell to public broadcasting will come if the FCC decides to do away with non-commercial licences, making exceptions for religious broadcasters under the veil of "religious liberty"

They actually can't do that without violating an Act of Congress.

It's time for CPB to sunset. The stations would have to increase fundraising or reduce their budgets. Most would remain as they have a loyal fan base.

It's time for CPB to sunset. The stations would have to increase fundraising or reduce their budgets. Most would remain as they have a loyal fan base.

That's your opinion, shared by a minority of Reps in the House, nothing more. They'd have to repeal the Public Broadcasting Act, and they simply don't have the votes. CPB funds lots of things besides NPR and PBS, and that funding is beneficial to local districts. So it won't happen. Very similar to the situation with the National Endowment for the Arts.

I am not so sure it won't happen. The nation is now $20 trillion in debt.
They'll have to start cutting something.

That's what they said 8 years ago. Many public broadcasters are owned by state governments. Everyone favors the concept of returning federal tax money to the states. That's what this does.

Everyone's OUTRAGE meter will be dialed up to 11 24/7 for the next 4 years.

Maybe. Certainly those who feel threatened will use it as a way to drive passions. If you go to both the New York and LA Times websites, they have lines about supporting quality journalism: More essential than ever.

Nice that with a Trump administration, journalism and holding public officials is back in style, after being syncopants for the previous administration. I'm going to guess we wouldn't be hearing that had Hillary been elected. We'd only have fawning coverage of the Historic First Woman President.

Maybe. Certainly those who feel threatened will use it as a way to drive passions. If you go to both the New York and LA Times websites, they have lines about supporting quality journalism: More essential than ever.

The Public Broadcasting Act could be amended. There certainly could be enough votes to repeal it in this Congress. Eliminating nearly all funding is another potential outcome. Time will tell.

The Public Broadcasting Act could be amended. There certainly could be enough votes to repeal it in this Congress. Eliminating nearly all funding is another potential outcome. Time will tell.

As I've said, Republicans favor giving money and power to the states. That's what this Act does. It was amended during the Reagan years specifically for that purpose. Any Reagan Republican should favor the current language. Many of the states have local public broadcasting commissions in their government, and they determine how the money is spent. They've been in the majority for some time, and have never questioned the appropriation.

I have no doubt that Repubicans can and will privatize the CPB or do whatever steps it takes to defund NPR. They may want to give money and power to the states but it seems right now that cutting spending will be higher on the priority list. Especially with NPR being labeled as a left-leaning media outlet.

I don't think it will have much impact on Public Radio stations. But I wish it would. Some of these organizations need a wakeup call and a lesson on spending money. In my state IPR has no fewer than 6 signals covering Des Moines, 4 of which are duplicates. They have 5 signals covering the Quad Cities, 3 of which are duplicates. That is ridiculous. The cost of purchasing and operating all these stations is absurd.

I have no doubt that Repubicans can and will privatize the CPB or do whatever steps it takes to defund NPR. They may want to give money and power to the states but it seems right now that cutting spending will be higher on the priority list. Especially with NPR being labeled as a left-leaning media outlet.

If it was a Republican agenda, they could have done it two years ago. They didn't. NPR isn't the enemy any more. It's the entire media. Does that mean they cut the advertising budget of the various agencies who buy spots on TV and radio? No more tax tips from the IRS? No more ads about drunk driving or seat belts? That's a bigger budget than CPB.

I think it's philosophical. There's far less of a need now for the Public Broadcasting construct than there was when it was conceived. When it began you had far fewer radio and television stations, and CPB funded stations were the only places where some programming was available. Not the case anymore. They can still exist, just without government funding.

I don't agree with any government funding of media. But as a practical matter, I think there is an additional issue in regards to funding with public radio, at least where I am. WGHB and WBUR in Boston are news and talk oriented and broadcast a lot of the same shows beyond Morning Edition and All Things Considered. I know that the stations get most of their funding from other sources, but why should the government be supporting this overlap? Many shows themselves are examples of overlap. My point is that I think public radio could succeed on its own without federal funding because there is so much redundancy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom