• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Score moves Goff to afternoons, hires newcomer Parkins for middays

staggmovie

Star Participant
The Score moves Goff to afternoons, hires newcomer Parkins for middays
posted on January 11, 2017 at 5:00 pm by Robert Feder
Jason Goff
Jason Goff
Following the retirement last week of 25-year veteran host Terry Boers from WSCR AM 670, the CBS Radio sports/talk station is shifting Jason Goff from middays to afternoons alongside Boers’s former partner, Dan Bernstein.

Replacing Goff alongside Matt Spiegel in middays will be newcomer Danny Parkins, a Chicago native who joins The Score from KCSP, a sports/talk station in Kansas City. He currently hosts a top-rated afternoon show there.

Danny Parkins
Danny Parkins
Both moves were announced Wednesday by Mitch Rosen, program director of The Score. Starting next Tuesday, Spiegel and Parkins will be on from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays, and Bernstein and Goff will be on from 1 to 6 p.m. weekdays.

“The retirement of beloved Score original Terry Boers after 25 years, coupled with the exciting achievements of the station over the last year, led us straight to Jason as the perfect match with Dan in afternoons,” Rosen said. “As a hometown native, Danny brings passion to middays, and I couldn’t be more thrilled to hear what he and Matt create together for our loyal listeners.”

Goff, 36, has been hosting middays with Spiegel since February 2015, when he rejoined The Score after a brief stint in Atlanta and at Sirius XM Satellite Radio. After attending Evanston Township High School and Southern Illinois University, he first joined the station in 2000 and moved up the ranks to produce Boers and Bernstein’s afternoon show while honing his skills as a reporter and on-air host.

“I’ve had a fantastic time reuniting with the audience the last couple of years with a terrific talent in Matt Spiegel,” Goff said in a statement. “The reunion now continues with a time slot and a host in Dan with whom I’ve experienced some of the finest moments of my career.”

Parkins, 30, grew up in north suburban Glencoe and graduated from New Trier High School and Syracuse University with a degree in broadcast journalism. Before joining KCSP in 2011 he was a producer and host at WSKO, the ESPN Radio station in Syracuse, New York. Earlier he also worked as an intern at ESPN Radio WMVP AM 1000.

“Ever since I realized I wasn’t going to be the spot up shooter on the Bulls seventh championship team, I wanted to talk about sports for a living,” he wrote in a profile on his website. “I have no idea what I would do if it wasn’t this. Probably something involving verbal communication like a lawyer or sales but that sounds painfully boring.

“My philosophy for doing a good radio show focuses on two things: laughter and thought. Sports are supposed to be fun. Don’t get me wrong, I take a big game as seriously as the next guy, but every day on the radio isn’t getting ready for Game 7 or the Super Bowl. So you better have good stuff on those days too. The bar we set for every segment is to either make you laugh or think, and if we can achieve that more often than not, I consider that a good day on the radio.”

In what amounted to an on-air tryout, Parkins filled in during one week over the summer for Les Grobstein, overnight host on The Score.

Score 25th logo“When I left Chicago in 2010 for my first radio job I had a personal goal to be back home with my own show by the time I turned 30,” Parkins said Wednesday. “The fact that’s going to be a reality on The Score, a station that has always been a Chicago institution, is a dream come true. I can’t wait to get started and begin building the best sports radio show in the city.”

In the latest Nielsen Audio survey, The Score tied for 12th place with a 2.6 percent share and cumulative weekly audience of 767,200.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom