Noise killing AM radio - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Noise killing AM radio

But after the 'Big One' or the Cascadia quake there will also be NO POWER east of I-5 so the noise floor will go down to zero. But can anybody find a battery operated radio in their house nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by K6JHU View Post
    But after the 'Big One' or the Cascadia quake there will also be NO POWER east of I-5 so the noise floor will go down to zero. But can anybody find a battery operated radio in their house nowadays.
    With all due respect, that's just silly. You can't make that prediction. Many communities around the affected areas will continue to function at unpredictable levels. The facts are that failing utility transformers and substations around floods and earthquakes alone, will generate massive amounts of noise for miles.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by brettbutlerisok View Post
    Y
    Yeah AM in California is nice that way, between KFBK, KSTE, KMJ, KFIG, KERN, KNZR the whole state is covered by 50,000 watt stations east of I-5. I wonder about LA and south, would KNZR do the job with all of the other stations down? Also how many people under 30 jeez maybe 40, know how to find these stations?
    I don't care how little noise there is, none of those stations puts a signal over the Southland that can be heard in the daytime.

KNZR, at the awful 1560 frequency, has less signal towards LA than KUZZ on 550 (but neither is listenable, even with reduced noise.)
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by K6JHU View Post
    But can anybody find a battery operated radio in their house nowadays.
    Really? Not me. Not one that works, anyway. And I work in the business.

I have seven. A FM-HD Insigna (AC and battery) and a FM only Sansa Clip (battery only). Then there are the AM/FM's in the autos (4 of 'em). And not to forget the FM in my Moto G2.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    With all due respect, that's just silly. You can't make that prediction. Many communities around the affected areas will continue to function at unpredictable levels. The facts are that failing utility transformers and substations around floods and earthquakes alone, will generate massive amounts of noise for miles.
    Your basing your statement on the assumption that those substations will actually be receiving power -- however, transmission lines may also be down -- in many places. Which means those transformers and substations may be powerless.

While it's true that none of us have a crystal ball and can see exactly what happens during the future, the fact is that the Big One will happen and it will be disastrous. And according to the government studies I read online, the coastal areas will be powerless for weeks, or possibly months. They even mention AM radio as an important emergency information tool.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

I don't care how little noise there is, none of those stations puts a signal over the Southland that can be heard in the daytime.

KNZR, at the awful 1560 frequency, has less signal towards LA than KUZZ on 550 (but neither is listenable, even with reduced noise.)
    Here in earthquake territory where I live (two separate major faults), at night I can hear at least 5-6 regionals from East of the Cascades, California, and Canada on a regular basis at night. They can be heard even on a decent Walkman. It's not much different out on the coast, where the Cascadia fault will wreak more havoc. Information received at night is better than no information at all.

Quote Originally Posted by boombox4 View Post
    Here in earthquake territory where I live (two separate major faults), at night I can hear at least 5-6 regionals from East of the Cascades, California, and Canada on a regular basis at night. They can be heard even on a decent Walkman. It's not much different out on the coast, where the Cascadia fault will wreak more havoc. Information received at night is better than no information at all.
    Right. At night, sure. If no radio station west of I-5 can operate (west and east in the southland probably) LA, SD, and TJ will have no radio during the day.

But after the 'Big One' or the Cascadia quake there will also be NO POWER east of I-5 so the noise floor will go down to zero.
    Yeah maybe the Cascadia, in the north-west. Big One or Cascadia, most of the Central Valley will be fine.

Southern San Andreas runs through Ft. Tejon, to just west of Coalinga. Think liquefaction. The southern Central Valley will not be fine.

One of the earlier posters listed off all hos portables. All FM. Car radio is a good idea unless you have a BMW.

So for the 'big one' AM news will have to come from KOMO and for Cascadia KGO.

As BigA commented, I'm willing to bet that .0001% of the population still knows where they have a working battery powered AM-FM radio.

What is easy to predict is when the big one hits the west coast, people will default to their cell phones and will panic when they can't get a working cell. Will they then think-gee, I'll tune in KOMO from Seattle or KGO from San Francisco for news? Nope! They will wander around looking for a phone signal or curl up into the fetal position.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast