• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Fast work

Sears Holding Corporation just announced the other day that they would be shuttering their KMART store in Cromwell, Connecticut. Well no sooner did they make that announce that the Town Manager announced Shoprite Supermarket will be opening in a portion of the old KMART and the adjacent former Xpect Discount store. Obviously it's been in the works for a while, but it's still amazing a new tenant was announced so quickly.

http://www.middletownpress.com/busi...er-decades-in-plaza-where-shoprite-to-move-in

Funny...grocery stores are one part of retail that hasn't been replaced by online...because people want to buy fresh. So that's good for the grocery business. Yet my local grocery chain is trying to encourage its shoppers to use an online ordering system. They had reps coming up to us, saying if we use their online ordering system, we'll get a discount. So we order our groceries online, and they can shut down the big expensive store and fire all the employees. What a great idea.

Funny...grocery stores are one part of retail that hasn't been replaced by online...because people want to buy fresh. So that's good for the grocery business. Yet my local grocery chain is trying to encourage its shoppers to use an online ordering system. They had reps coming up to us, saying if we use their online ordering system, we'll get a discount. So we order our groceries online, and they can shut down the big expensive store and fire all the employees. What a great idea.

Doesn't someone still have to assemble the items you order and get them to your door, or does the chain you're talking about have a central warehouse to fulfill online orders? A few years ago, when I was out of action with a broken shoulder and couldn't drive, I tried Stop & Shop's "Peapod" service for a month. The food came right to my door, but it came there from the aisles of the local store. (And I couldn't choose from every item in stock, either, just a very limited "most popular" list, but maybe that's changed in the four years since.) I suppose if online ordering/delivery reaches critical mass, the brick-and-mortar stores might slash some jobs, especially the cashiers, but wouldn't you need more people to handle the added work created through online ordering?

Maybe...for the time being...until people stop going to the store.

Well, that's never going to happen with a delivery system based on human beings driving motor vehicles. It would be impossible to get the orders out to anything close to a full day's worth of business at the local supermarket. Even with drones dispatched from a central location, that's an awful lot of boxes of Raisin Bran, jars of peanut butter, bottles of milk and bags of apples zipping over and through once-quiet suburban neighborhoods for any legislative body to ever allow to happen.

Well, that's never going to happen with a delivery system based on human beings driving motor vehicles.

This system was based on people picking up their groceries from a drive through.

I remember when my local music store had a great idea to deal with downloading. They built download kiosks in their stores, so people would bring their ipods in and download their song in the store. That was such a great idea, people decided they didn't need to travel to the store any more.

Last edited:
Doesn't someone still have to assemble the items you order and get them to your door, or does the chain you're talking about have a central warehouse to fulfill online orders? A few years ago, when I was out of action with a broken shoulder and couldn't drive, I tried Stop & Shop's "Peapod" service for a month. The food came right to my door, but it came there from the aisles of the local store. (And I couldn't choose from every item in stock, either, just a very limited "most popular" list, but maybe that's changed in the four years since.) I suppose if online ordering/delivery reaches critical mass, the brick-and-mortar stores might slash some jobs, especially the cashiers, but wouldn't you need more people to handle the added work created through online ordering?

As a former Stop & Shop employee let me tell you about PEAPOD. The shopping is done from a warehouse. You can choose to have it delivered or pick it up at the store. The Peapod truck would drop off orders several times a week. Then when you come to the store to pick up your order you call a special number and the PUP Clerk (Pup standing for Pick-UP) asks the customer their name and that he'll be down in a couple minutes. Then he/she will get the order out of the special locker upfront and put it in the customer's car and then send them on their way.

As for Shoprite and their Shoprite from Home Service they have employees at the local store do the shopping. The customers then pay when they come to the store to pick up or when it's delivered. At least at the Southington/Wallingford stores they train the Shoprite from Home associate to do the shopping a certain way. Say if the customer wants a pound of ground beef, rather than grab a package out of the meat case they will go to the butcher and ask them for it.

Thanks for the "insider" story on Peapod -- never dreamed those trucks were coming from anywhere but the Stop & Shop down the road. Where is the warehouse that serves the Meriden area? Anyway, I used Peapod for that month only because the stores I regularly go to, Big Y and Aldi, had no home delivery service. I strongly suspect Aldi never will!

Did you get laid off, Marc? If so, I'm sorry.

*sigh* No. Back in November, I wasn't on the clock or in uniform talking to a co-worker. I made an inappropriate comment about one of the bosses and another co-worker reported me. At the end of the night I got called into the Manger's office. The Assistant Manager showed me the write-up, told me that I was suspended, and to call The Union on Monday.

If you want an more details contact me on my Facebook or Twitter or private message me on here.

I think that a lot of the closings with Sears and K Mart are timed out for when the leases run out, and they could be working ahead of time at least in some places to find a new tenant.

Jackson, TN still managed to hold on for both Sears and K Mart (and also Macy's), but when the leases run out I won't be surprised if one or both of them close here as well.

Marc,
I hope things work out about your job.

I think that a lot of the closings with Sears and K Mart are timed out for when the leases run out, and they could be working ahead of time at least in some places to find a new tenant.

Jackson, TN still managed to hold on for both Sears and K Mart (and also Macy's), but when the leases run out I won't be surprised if one or both of them close here as well.
Strange situation with Sears here in the midstate. They were the LAST remaining store in the old Bellevue Center, outlasting most of the rest of the mall by a good seven years; meanwhile, the Sears store in CoolSprings Galleria closed! (For those who don't know, CoolSprings is one of the few "booming" malls still in the Nashville area.) The nearest Kmart that I know of is the one on Donelson Pike. The one in Dickson (which was on hwy. 46, I think) closed a year or two ago.

I always bought my appliances from Sears. Way too bad that they're closing so many places. Macy's not so much anymore, so whatever.

Marc, how many times have I told you that you need to go into writing jingles or headlines...very eye catching.

Marc, how many times have I told you that you need to go into writing jingles or headlines...very eye catching.

I wish I could get paid for my writing. I wrote a 4 part story that I call my book.

Part 1: http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1926092-Robbie-Part-1
Part 2: http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1877110-Robbie-Part-2
Part 3: http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2043425-Robbie-Part-3
Part 4: http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2045863-Robbie-Part-4

Final word on this topic.

Strange situation with Sears here in the midstate. They were the LAST remaining store in the old Bellevue Center, outlasting most of the rest of the mall by a good seven years; meanwhile, the Sears store in CoolSprings Galleria closed! (For those who don't know, CoolSprings is one of the few "booming" malls still in the Nashville area.) The nearest Kmart that I know of is the one on Donelson Pike. The one in Dickson (which was on hwy. 46, I think) closed a year or two ago.

Has anything been started for redevelopment of the Bellevue Center area? Every so often I see articles about proposed projects but it never looks like anything is happening when I drive through there.

Has anything been started for redevelopment of the Bellevue Center area? Every so often I see articles about proposed projects but it never looks like anything is happening when I drive through there.
Yes, the demolition was in August 2015, and new buildings are going up there, even as I post this. What concerns me is that there does not seem to be much infrastructure improvement (widening of streets, etc.) in the immediate area. Which means that we may soon be looking at some of the same traffic headaches that they are dealing with in other parts of town.

The name of the new project is "One Bellevue Place," so googling that might assist with keeping up with the development. It is probably still a year or two from completion, but they are still seeking new tenants for it.

Meanwhile, we went to Jackson on a weekend mini-trip back in the fall, and I walked through Old Hickory Mall for the first time in at least 20 years! Probably closer to 25! Glad to see that the place is still doing well, unlike so many malls that I have seen in recent years.

Yes, the demolition was in August 2015, and new buildings are going up there, even as I post this. What concerns me is that there does not seem to be much infrastructure improvement (widening of streets, etc.) in the immediate area. Which means that we may soon be looking at some of the same traffic headaches that they are dealing with in other parts of town.

The name of the new project is "One Bellevue Place," so googling that might assist with keeping up with the development. It is probably still a year or two from completion, but they are still seeking new tenants for it.

Meanwhile, we went to Jackson on a weekend mini-trip back in the fall, and I walked through Old Hickory Mall for the first time in at least 20 years! Probably closer to 25! Glad to see that the place is still doing well, unlike so many malls that I have seen in recent years.

On Nashville trips for doctor's appointments my daughter and I usually want to stop by McKay's (Used books, music, videos, etc. if anyone hasn't heard of it) So I haven't been past the Bellevue Center area in a while. I'm glad something's finally being done.

Old Hickory Mall in Jackson is still doing well, although the only store I usually go to is JC Penney. They have a Sears store that could be on the ropes in the future if they decide to close more locations. Jackson Plaza across the street on Old Hickory Blvd. is the one that is almost dead, although they're a strip center that could easily be remodeled. Most major stores that aren't in the mall now are out on Vann Drive, which is the major growth area now.

Last edited:
On Nashville trips for doctor's appointments my daughter and I usually want to stop by McKay's (Used books, music, videos, etc. if anyone hasn't heard of it) So I haven't been past the Bellevue Center area in a while. I'm glad something's finally being done.
Some of the redevelopment of Bellevue Center will be visible from I-40. Some of the past projects (which obviously never came to fruition) involved sign frontage facing I-40. That area has been, among other things in the past, the Titans' practice field, and the site of a Wal-Mart that was never built, never mind that there is already one just five miles away.

In the recent announcements for more Sears closings the store in Jackson, TN missed the ax again, but the auto center was closed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom