• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kjoi & koko

mofocat

Leading Participant
KJOI-LP I'm hearing on 100.5 with very low audio level -- I'm assuming this is the Meadow lakes translator that was running K-Love
Radio Locator is showing KOKO now has a 50 watt @ 50' translator on 99.7

KJOI-LP I'm hearing on 100.5 with very low audio level -- I'm assuming this is the Meadow lakes translator that was running K-Love
Radio Locator is showing KOKO now has a 50 watt @ 50' translator on 99.7

Oh great, now KIOO is going to be blocked in Fresno like KZPO is when LP 103.3 went on. Why are they allowed this? they have that repeater at Valentine and 180, and there main signal overlaps that one also, what is the point of this?

I like the KJOI repeater, I just heard them mentioning the Auberry repeater at the TOH, I noticed KJOI is more 70s and 80s and not playing Adult Standards anymore, it sounds like the New K-Jewel 105.5 in a way.

Last edited:
After my last post, I went on deliveries and the 99.7 repeater only interferes with KIOO S/W of Downtown Fresno, all other areas Clovis, and East Fresno are fine, still don't understand the propose, makes as much sense as a screen door in a submarine.

100.5 today driving was subject to all kind of interference from KMEN and KMQA even in Clovis, must be one of those Tropo conditions, now as of 5:30 there's dead air.

100.5 today driving was subject to all kind of interference from KMEN and KMQA even in Clovis, must be one of those Tropo conditions, now as of 5:30 there's dead air.

KJOI 0n 100.5 is fairly clear here- north of Bullard n Minnewawa - BUT the audio is SO LOW it could be mistaken for dead air. Not hearing much of KMEN or KQMA. I really can't hear the KOKO xlator on 99.7 but I think it is messing with KIOO.

The 103.3 LPFM ... I can hear better some days (or time of day) better than others- I can move the radio or the whip to hear one or the other- KZPO or KOFP-LP (Sangean PRD15 - very good FM - but only a 30in. whip))

I can't help it ! LOL DXing is in my blood. I found i can actually discern KJOI on 104.3 - barely in the mush - by seeing what is playing on 100.5 and listening for it / hearing it in the mush on 104.3
makes me think am FM yogi w a decent receiver could pull it out

Pretty soon maybe the FM band should be expanded kind of like the AM band was in the early 90's.

Last edited:
Ok so at 1:40 AM I turned east onto Jensen from Dickenson. Listening to 99.7 KIOO (for a reason) sounded not too bad, as usual and as expected. Had KOKO programmed in on the #1 button and 99.7 #2, don't know why I thought to make 104.3 #3 coming out of Raisin City but I did, comes in alright out there with a good radio.

I was starting to think this new 99.7 KOKO-LP (I know thats not the calls, just my working name for it) must not be on. Then right as I cross Blythe a perfectly usable KIOO turns to KJOI! I repeat, KJOI! (adult standards btw) Holds strong till Fruit, couldn't listen to either station by Walnut, mostly KIOO by MLK and just east of Elm it is like KOKOKJOI-LP never even existed. The tower is on Church so this is nearly the the whole east-west range. Either the station is not up to full power, or it is more or less useless. Except as a wealthy man's hobby.

And yes I am jealous. I would build one in the backyard if I thought I would get away with it, and/or afford the engineering/licensing process. But really, if the frequency can't just be left vacant I would much rather see it be a translator for one of the AMers.

Last edited:
I was starting to think this new 99.7 KOKO-LP (I know thats not the calls, just my working name for it) must not be on. Then right as I cross Blythe a perfectly usable KIOO turns to KJOI! I repeat, KJOI! (adult standards btw)

wait... what? You are saying that the repeater LP99.7 owned by KOKO 94.3, is carring KJOI 104.3 programming instead of KOKO 94.3.

Last edited:
wait... what? You are saying that the repeater LP99.7 owned by KOKO 94.3, is carring KJOI 104.3 programming instead of KOKO 94.3.

It's true 99.7 is carrying KJOI programming, I drove near there today, must be a mistake on Radio-Locator, they got the (**4.3)s mixed up, wouldn't be the first error on R-L, just like the info for KFRRs Transmitter elevation.

BTW LP99.7 being used for KJOI make more sense than KOKO, and brettbutlerisok not that I didn't believe you it's just that Art Loboe does shows from the 50s and 60s on KOKO at night, so I had to check it out myself, the thing is it is a very small area in a part of town that doesn't make sense unless theirs a Senior Citizens village near by that it serves, it only has about a mile radius that's not dominated by KIOO.

KJOI 0n 100.5 is fairly clear here- north of Bullard n Minnewawa - BUT the audio is SO LOW it could be mistaken for dead air. Not hearing much of KMEN or KQMA. I really can't hear the KOKO xlator on 99.7 but I think it is messing with KIOO.

The 103.3 LPFM ... I can hear better some days (or time of day) better than others- I can move the radio or the whip to hear one or the other- KZPO or KOFP-LP (Sangean PRD15 - very good FM - but only a 30in. whip))

I Need A lower movable antenna, my outdoor ant system built 20 years ago can't be moved anymore too old to get on the roof, top one 23 ft high UV-FM150 radio Shack pointed at Mt Brekenridge for south valley TV and Radio back then analog days TV 17,23,29,45, now only KBAK 29 and KBFX 58 work digitally,great for different NFL games.Fm99.7 and 98.5 and other S.valley stations, second Ant 17 ft high A Radio Shack FM "CommonModel" Cross bar yagi ant. gets most stations but 100.5 still gets interference from KMEN/KQMA, third ant 13 ft high UHF 4 Bay Antenna pointed at Meadow Lakes.

Last edited:
I Need A lower movable antenna, my outdoor ant system built 20 years ago can't be moved anymore too old to get on the roof, top one 23 ft high UV-FM150 radio Shack pointed at Mt Brekenridge for south valley TV and Radio back then analog days TV 17,23,29,45, now only KBAK 29 and KBFX 58 work digitally,great for different NFL games.Fm99.7 and 98.5 and other S.valley stations, second Ant 17 ft high A Radio Shack FM "CommonModel" Cross bar yagi ant. gets most stations but 100.5 still gets interference from KMEN/KQMA, third ant 13 ft high UHF 4 Bay Antenna pointed at Meadow Lakes.

I have a 4 bay UHF pointed toward Mt. Breckenridge, mounted to a 25 foot mast to the ground mounted to the eave of the house. I rotate it with a pair of vise-grips from Harbor Freight, and it works perfectly! NO climbing on roof needed!

Last edited:
I have a 4 bay UHF pointed toward Mt. Breckenridge, mounted to a 25 foot mast to the ground mounted to the eave of the house. I rotate it with a pair of vise-grips from Harbor Freight, and it works perfectly! NO climbing on roof needed!

I take that back, I have an 8 bay UHF pointed SSE toward Breckenridge.

Could be moving to another location. At that wattage and height, I predict that is the case.

That's what I've been thinking.

Oh, is it going to be for the better? Or the worse? Looks like the fun for Dxers (like me) is going away on the TV side as well, it has with radio for sure, especially with all of the HD and LP stations that keep being added everywhere I go.

Today KJOI LP 100.5 New Auberry went total dead air, and now, back on and they fixed the volume level problem and I'm not getting interference from KQMA/KMEN anymore, I wonder if they weren't at full power before.

Last edited:
Today KJOI LP 100.5 New Auberry went total dead air, and now, back on and they fixed the volume level problem and I'm not getting interference from KQMA/KMEN anymore, I wonder if they weren't at full power before.

Now thats more like it! A much bigger signal in Clovis. Reminiscent of the 1970s signal from KFCFs 10 watts from Meadow Lakes. Or the KAMB translator of the 80s.So I wonder how far south and west this is good for. KFCF had no cochannel competition on 88.1 and was good all the way to Visalia with a good receiver. In the 80s KAMB had 10 watts directional on 94.3 from the KKDJ tower and was good to Hanford. elevation elevation elevation

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom