860 back to sports fulltime? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 860 back to sports fulltime?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithE4 View Post
    They ID'ed as "KMVP AM & FM, Phoenix." Since when is that illegitimate? I thought that was OK by the FCC since simulcasts have done this for decades.
    We did a lot of back-and-forth on this board (or its predecessor) I'm guessing five or six years ago on the legal ID subject--things like "KSLX Scottsdale(/Phoenix)" is not a legal ID as the calls are legally "KSLX-FM Scottsdale(/Phoenix)" (look it up on the FCC FM Query site). Or how to do a simulcast legal ID (not "KMVP AM & FM Phoenix", but rather "KMVP Phoenix, KMVP-FM Phoenix" (or in reverse order, but giving the ID for each station separately).

The FCC probably doesn't care anymore and wouldn't squawk...they're too busy trying to run a gutted operation (think: field offices closures and "how many commissioners do we have left today?").
    Last edited by oldiesfan6479; 01-06-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    Save AM radio...kill I-CRAP.

Quote Originally Posted by oldiesfan6479 View Post
    We did a lot of back-and-forth on this board (or its predecessor) I'm guessing five or six years ago on the legal ID subject--things like "KSLX Scottsdale(/Phoenix)" is not a legal ID as the calls are legally "KSLX-FM Scottsdale(/Phoenix)" (look it up on the FCC FM Query site). Or how to do a simulcast legal ID (not "KMVP AM & FM Phoenix", but rather "KMVP Phoenix, KMVP-FM Phoenix" (or in reverse order, but giving the ID for each station separately).

The FCC probably doesn't care anymore and wouldn't squawk...they're too busy trying to run a gutted operation (think: field offices closures and "how many commissioners do we have left today?").
    As long as there's no confusion, and the City of License is given (such as "KTAR-FM Glendale/Phoenix"), it really doesn't matter. The listeners, the advertisers, and the FCC know what they're talking about. Nobody squawks about Ancient Modulation stations ID'ing as "KTAR-AM" or "WBBM-AM" (which the Chicago station did for many years, beginning in the late 1970s), because everybody knows they're on AM.

I'm willing to bet that if KEZ actually ID'ed as "KEZ Phoenix" instead of KESZ, nobody would care, even though that is definitely incorrect.
    We have to save the Earth! It's the only planet with football and beer.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithE4 View Post
    I'm willing to bet that if KEZ actually ID'ed as "KEZ Phoenix" instead of KESZ, nobody would care, even though that is definitely incorrect.
    I wouldn't go that far. That's a little too blatant.

From my understanding of things, the field offices won't write a ticket just for a TOH, but not doing a TOH would invite an inspection and lead to further scrutiny because if you can't get the simple things right, you can't get the difficult stuff right.

But when you ID an AM/FM combo as did (sing the jingle as they did back in the 80's) "KOPA FM AM Scottsdale" you'd really have to p*ss off the FCC to get written up.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

It really doesn't matter if the FM calls come before the AM, or the city of license is used once for two stations licensed to the same city. In fact, the FCC allows licensees to self promote if they wish: KFZZ FM & AM, a Media Hut Broadcasting Company station, Buckeye...and soon the world!
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    The Middle Eastern Men of the Media
    Buckeye, AZ

The only Pumpkin Spice flavored radio consultants!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12