• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Fall 2016 Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all of their new staff, WBFO leans very hard on syndicated content. It would be nice to see more local programming beyond the Blues show.

That's not exactly a new problem for a public radio station to heavily rely on outside content. As an example: WXXI in Rochester has 2 hours of Evan Dawson's local show(repeated in the evening)-and that's it. Northeast Public Radio does a LOT more local programming.

The ratings for the Edge, Mix, Jack and 107.7 look pretty grim. For a while, I thought the Edge was a dominant radio station, but the last few years it's pretty much the Shredd and Ragan morning show and little more. It's hard to understand why or how 97 Rock keeps going. By its ratings strength it seems there are a lot of baby boomers who can't hear enough of the same 30 or 40 year year old Doors, Pink Floyd and Rolling Stones songs played over and over. Not that the bands weren't great, it's just that they had more than five good songs. You'd think the boomers' kids would have clued them into Spotify or Pandora, or owned music possibilities. Jack is like the Edge. At one time it was a interesting mix of disconnected songs from different eras that worked. Maybe the company that owns Jack should call it Mix. It's hard to figure out what the station that calls itself Mix is trying to do. The station isn't for 48 year old guys like me, but it sounds like Kiss for ten minutes, then it sounds like Star, then it sounds like a whitebread clone of WBLK, which is owned by the same company.

Alt 107.7 is a complete nothing radio station. I occasionally listen to it because I want to hear new bands and music. The problem is, a lot of the music is unimpressive. Most of the bands are one hit winders whose members will be playing bars or opening for the next flavor-of-the-day band five years from now. I used this board's search engine and went back to read previous posts about 107.7, even to the days of the Lake, when this board had a lot more posters, many of whom defended the Lake to an extreme. At least the station had what seemed like a devoted audience as the Lake. A few posters here have noted that this board doesn't seem as popular or busy as it once was. It's probably because radio is pretty bland these days, and there are more alternatives for music and information, whether you want to hear more than five Doors songs or hear about the news on the latest domestic mass shooting.

THIS. Rusty, you're sharing the same feelings I do about these stations. I usually refer to Mix by a...well, dirty word that I shan't repeat here. It can't decide if it wants to be a hot AC station or an 80s station. Pick one and decide! Oh, and slow down your music. At this rate, only John Moschitta could understand it. As far as ALT goes, I had a bit of a dustup with the station for them playing a song from Fitz & the Tantrums and saying it's "alternative". It's NOT. Kiss and Star have also had it on their playlists(AND on the specific day I heard Fitz, just a few minutes later Star had the same damned song playing). Sometimes, songs on Alt's playlist have been heard on the Edge as well, further putting the lie to their "alternative" claim.

NPR content is very high quality, so it would be hard for
WBFO to equal it. That's not a criticism of the local staff.
They do well mixing in local stories with the larger NPR
World view. Many listeners want more than just local.

On the AM side, The local hosts at WBEN are insufferable clowns.

Rusty points out that Rock radio is repetitive, bland and tired.
That's true for many. Classic Rock is identical in every market.
They've been playing the same 250 burned out songs for 20 years.
At least The Lake attempted to offer a more diverse playlist.
ALT is Rock Top 40 and the younger demos they crave aren't
interested(based on their 1 share).

The Lake proved that a AAA type format or something similar can have
decent ratings. Buffalo has older demographics. You can have more
older listeners or no younger ones. The sales component is a different issue.
Sometimes sales people are the problem, not programming...

A lot of this speculation is based on 12+ numbers, which are meaningless. The keys is in the demographics, and I suspect that most of the people here don't have access to those numbers. Those that do are restricted from posting actual numbers by the TOS of this board and Nielsen.

For all the complaining about 97-Rock and The Edge, they do well in their demographic targets. 97-Rock's numbers in 18-24 males are surprisingly robust. Their 35+ males are dominant. 97-Rock has endured despite the aging of the format and the retirement of Larry Norton. What they're doing still works, and Cumulus needs the revenue. The Edge does well in males 18-49, with Shredd and Ragan doing very well in mornings. They do wander musically into earlier eras, and seem at times to be unfocused.

The Lake obviously had appeal to old white guys. That's not their current target, and it's not coming back. Entercom is trying to engage an audience that professes to be too hip for radio. Actual numbers may be better than those who fill out diaries are willing to admit. Their non-traditional revenue and attendance at events that they host would indicate that may be the case. Entercom has a purpose for the station, and it may be serving that purpose well enough.

Mix is mixed up. They have attempted to create a new station with a different audience than WJYE had, and managed to steadily burn off the old audience without replacing it with a new audience. Townsquare has a new management team in place, and a lot of new or new-ish talent, and they're stumbling. Time may turn that around - or not. Jack may finally have simply reached its burn point. It lasted considerably long than many "variety hits" stations in other markets. That's still a big FM signal that could do some business.

WBFO has "evolved" since the sale to WNY Public Broadcasting. Some of the changes have not improved the station. Then again, NPR has "evolved" over the last few years, and some of those changes have not improved the network. Then again, maybe it's just me. They may not live off numbers, but they do live off listeners, and numbers mean something.

I find it ironic that many people here find Buffalo radio boring, but rail against those stations that are trying to do something different. BTW, that is not a new phenomena in broadcasting.

The Lake obviously had appeal to old white guys. That's not their current target, and it's not coming back.

Sure it is, although you can only listen to The Lake 107.7 online. If you're referring to Alt 107.7 FM, well that's a freak show. Also has appeal to women and younger folks who also listen(ed) to the Lake.

WBLK has an appeal to the getaway cars and criminals in the hood, especially with their anti police rhetoric. WUFO also appeals to blacks, but a more older and less violent audience if you will. I don't see WUFO's numbers but I'm sure they are much lower than WBLK's.

As for what Tdolt states NPR having high quality content, ok you can say whatever you want. WBEN has twice as many listeners.

I'm not sure that WBFO shares an audience with WBEN, but whatever. WBFO would probably share an audience with Alternative Buffalo, or Star or Mix (if they didn't fall asleep from Mike Desmond's stories).

WBLK has an appeal to the getaway cars and criminals in the hood, especially with their anti police rhetoric. WUFO also appeals to blacks, but a more older and less violent audience if you will.

That is an absolutely disgusting thing to say. Less violent? All WBLK listeners are criminals in the hood? What a sick, and racist thing to say.

Well, I guess we know why WBEN is dumbd's favorite station. It must pain him that there are more 'BLK listeners than old, out-of-touch, paranoid white guys.

It's obvious that we're disagreeing with him because we're all part of a Cuomo conspiracy, and we're victims of government mind control.

Well, I guess we know why WBEN is dumbd's favorite station. It must pain him that there are more 'BLK listeners than old, out-of-touch, paranoid white guys.

It's obvious that we're disagreeing with him because we're all part of a Cuomo conspiracy, and we're victims of government mind control.

It's a shame that talkradio and other conservative outlets have long since abandoned trying to win arguments on the merits of their conservative principles, but instead have resorted to just making all kinds of crazy things up to scare the dimwitted masses into joining their band of misfits.

It's a shame that talkradio and other conservative outlets have long since abandoned trying to win arguments on the merits of their conservative principles, but instead have resorted to just making all kinds of crazy things up to scare the dimwitted masses into joining their band of misfits.

The days of William F. Buckley are long gone for sure.

Ahem, he's a WBEN apologist.

Any more questions?

Fart-catcher would be a much better descriptor.

As for WBLK, I happen to listen to it at work(mostly for Steve Harvey's syndicated show-but some of the music that follows it), as do a few of my co-workers. And they are NOT "criminals in the hood", as Dandy Dum Dum likes to stereotype its listeners.

Re WBFO: There is no way on God's green earth that they'd share ANY audience with Alt Buffalo. MAYBE Star or Mix(in the latter case, that is if they can figure out what format they are this week...or day...or even HOUR).

WBLK has an appeal to the getaway cars and criminals in the hood, especially with their anti police rhetoric. WUFO also appeals to blacks, but a more older and less violent audience if you will. I don't see WUFO's numbers but I'm sure they are much lower than WBLK's.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt.
I'm gonna say that although you might hold a few prejudices, you don't have a racist bone in your body.
I'm gonna say you were trying to be funny, like Howard Stern, when stuff like this was his stock in trade back in the day.
I'm gonna say you didn't intend to write something so stereotypical and dumbass stupid.
I'm gonna say next time you'll think twice before pressing 'enter.'

It appears that Dandy the Dimwit and Carl Paladino are
one and the same. WBEN is #1 in the Ass Hat demo...

I'm gonna say next time you'll think twice before pressing 'enter.'

I've thought many times, and now I am and will continue to press Enter. The "old white men" stereotype is getting old. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Tell me, what are they listening to? 104.1? 930? 1440? 101.7?

I've thought many times, and now I am and will continue to press Enter. The "old white men" stereotype is getting old. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Tell me, what are they listening to? 104.1? 930? 1440? 101.7?

Let me ask you directly: are you in no way sorry for posting your comments on the listeners to WBLK?

I don't answer to you. I stated the facts.

FACT: Old white men make up a sizeable portion of WBEN's audience.

Then there's your WBLK assumptions...
Arbitron/Nielsen has no demo measurement for black guys driving getaway cars, so I can only assume you pulled that out of your ass...which wasn't difficult, since your head was already up there.

I don't answer to you. I stated the facts.

You post something like that, people are going to call you out...so again, would you like to apologise? If you'd like to engage in a civil discussion without resorting to racism or name calling, most of us are willing to do so, but when you post something so disgusting, many of us are going to call you out on it. There is nothing factual about your statement at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom