New Digs For Entercom Miami
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: New Digs For Entercom Miami

  1. #1

    New Digs For Entercom Miami

    The SF Business Journal reports The Beach, Shark, Ticket, and Lite FM will be heading south to new studios in Miami proper this fall. Lite and 790 have been in the Miami Gardens building since the 80s, correct? I know 102.7 was in Hollywood in a building on 29th Ave now occupied by an architectural firm and during the LMA version of The Ticket they were housed at Presidential Circle on Hollywood Blvd.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by strangelove View Post
    The SF Business Journal reports The Beach, Shark, Ticket, and Lite FM will be heading south to new studios in Miami proper this fall. Lite and 790 have been in the Miami Gardens building since the 80s, correct? I know 102.7 was in Hollywood in a building on 29th Ave now occupied by an architectural firm and during the LMA version of The Ticket they were housed at Presidential Circle on Hollywood Blvd.
    Quote Originally Posted by richiedon View Post
    It's their first anniversary today, Jan. 1. They seem to be doing mediocre in the ratings.
    I think the playlist is still way too short. They've added some jocks, but
    Jade Alexander is the only female. I headed for The Hills a long time ago.
    Other thoughts?(from: https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?699423-A-year-at-The-Beach)
    Well, the financial investment Entercom is making is commendable. That old Lincoln building was/is a dump, pretty much, and the new digs are very much needed. The infrastructure of that whole North Miami area is falling apart and the crime is rampant. And, there were actual "rats" in the area . . . . Can you imagine reporting to work and seeing rats?

    However, this major investment making this move is at what cost?? First, the major investment of relocating 104.3 from WPB to Miami and the cost of flipping and staffing it as the Shark. Then, the upheaval with firing the Magic crew and "re-imaging" as the Beach.

    It has been a year since that "reimage" (not flip) of WMXJ 102.7 The Beach and hasn't show any ratings improvement. It is as Richiedon stated above (and I agree), "mediocre" at best. We'll, the ratings tweaked, a tiny bit. But considering the upheaval and investment, it's disappointing overall. I am sure Entercom were expecting higher ratings improvements and it's not that much different from the old Magic vs. the Beach days.

    As for the Shark? Please. What an underperforming disappointment. When WSFS 104.3 carried Sports from 790, it average a 1.7. The Shark has held those very same ratings for just over a year now and it's never going to get beyond the abysmal 1.5 to 1.7 it's pulling. When a NPR station (WLRN) beats you in the ratings, you got problems. That's the Shark's "rut" and they're stuck with it. Plus, this big anniversary 1 year "Shark Wreck" party back in August had no effect on improving the station's awareness or ratings. Listeners are still in the negative regarding the programming and some of the personalities. That's never going to change. Based on listener Reddit comments, the listeners were more supportive of NOT having to listen to sports on the AM.

    There have been listener comments on social media to that negative on Reddit "The Shark Sucks"... and their have even been predictions the Shark will be gone within six months, and certainly won't be ringing in the new year of 2018 for sure. I think those predictions are right.

    Even moreso, now that you have this major financial investments in a move with new/equipment and studios (especially after already building NEW studios for 104.3 The Shark). So, I don't see Entercomm settling for two stations that went through major overalls . . . with ratings that are no different that the previous incarnations of those same stations.

    Once the move is completed and they begin broadcasting from the new digs, look for a format change on 104.3 The Shark definitely, and the Beach, probably.
    Last edited by Radio Vagabond; 01-04-2017 at 04:27 PM.

  3. #3
    Ah, the old days of Jefferson Pilot Communications (before it became Lincoln Financial Media; when Lincoln purchased JPC back in 2006).

    Here's an old Sun Sentinel Article from August 2004 going through the history . . . when WAXY 790 first flipped from brokered "Community Radio" to "The Ticket" under an LMA with Primetime Media Group. Those were the days . . . .

    Now, WAXY 790 is owned by the fourth largest broadcaster in the country and moving into new facilities in the heart of Miami. The WFUN, WNWS (with Uncle Neil and Tom Leykis), and WMRZ (running the Unistar satellite automation) days are so long ago.

  4. #4
    Actually, Lincoln purchased 104.3 from CBS Radio, and moved it into Miami. Then LFM cashed out to Entercom.

    Entercom bought 4 signals in Miami, which if you take into consideration the other markets they acquired, the swap for KSWD/Los Angeles, and the $105 million check they cut, they got a good deal in several major markets.

    I'd expect to see The Shark flip, but I think 102.7 will remain classic hits.

    But why move all the way to downtown? More than half the Miami/FTL broadcasters have moved to Broward over the years (Cox, iHeart, WTVJ, WPLG). That should tell the Fields something....

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio Vagabond View Post
    Ah, the old days of Jefferson Pilot Communications (before it became Lincoln Financial Media; when Lincoln purchased JPC back in 2006).

    Here's an old Sun Sentinel Article from August 2004 going through the history . . . when WAXY 790 first flipped from brokered "Community Radio" to "The Ticket" under an LMA with Primetime Media Group. Those were the days . . . .

    Now, WAXY 790 is owned by the fourth largest broadcaster in the country and moving into new facilities in the heart of Miami. The WFUN, WNWS (with Uncle Neil and Tom Leykis), and WMRZ (running the Unistar satellite automation) days are so long ago.
    Does anyone know when JP/Lincoln took The Ticket in-house from Primetime, and why for that matter?

  6. #6
    I thought I read somewhere that the people leasing the station decided to get not renew or dump the lease. There was speculation of a format change after that but LFM decided to keep the format and build on it.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioGuy2004 View Post
    Actually, Lincoln purchased 104.3 from CBS Radio, and moved it into Miami. Then LFM cashed out to Entercom.
    Actually, LFM bought the station from Palm Beach Broadcasting. CBS already sold their stations off in West Palm to that group. PBB had to divest a station for owning too many in the WPB market. CBS should have held onto 104.3. They could have moved it into Miami on their own and added it to their own cluster. But, at the time, they probably had no idea they would end up with 3 stations in Miami from Beasley.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WSFS_(FM)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by AMRocks View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that the people leasing the station decided to get not renew or dump the lease. There was speculation of a format change after that but LFM decided to keep the format and build on it.
    Interesting. Good that they found a way to make it work for them

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by strangelove View Post
    Interesting. Good that they found a way to make it work for them
    It was either that or another brokered station. And there's only so many preachers and companies hocking snake oil to go around.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by AMRocks View Post
    It was either that or another brokered station. And there's only so many preachers and companies hocking snake oil to go around.
    True, although I was certain they would do exactly that with 790 when The Ticket debuted on 104.3 and was rather surprised that they chose to simulcast rather than just broker out the AM station. Then again, they'd have been competing for business with WZAB and a number of other pay-for-play stations so perhaps it wasn't worth the hassle. I was definitely surprised when Entercom launched The Shark and relegated The Ticket to AM only. Never saw that coming. Does anyone know if The Shark is outperforming the old sports format in their target demo?
    Last edited by strangelove; 01-12-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us