• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Viable Options- Sonixcast, Streamlicensing, Or Mixcloud?

Captainfirst

Frequent Participant
If any of these have been discussed before, please accept my apology for starting this thread.

So, I do want to get back into internet broadcasting and I would like to do so as soon as possible. I'm looking right now at three different options.

The first is Sonixcast, which I just discovered earlier today. They are Canadian and it appears that their licensing does also cover U.S. based broadcasters. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If I can use this, that would be great as their 320k streaming is just $14.99 a month. I, of course, presume that's Canadian dollars.

The second is Streamlicensing, which is completely legitimate. I can afford the monthly fee for licensing as well as whatever expense I would have for the actual stream. Is anyone here using them currently? And if so, how satisfied are you?

And the third is Mixcloud, which does pay licensing to Sound Exchange. Does that mean all licensing is covered, both for performance and publishing?

Any advice anyone can give is greatly appreciated.

If any of these have been discussed before, please accept my apology for starting this thread.

So, I do want to get back into internet broadcasting and I would like to do so as soon as possible. I'm looking right now at three different options.

The first is Sonixcast, which I just discovered earlier today. They are Canadian and it appears that their licensing does also cover U.S. based broadcasters. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If I can use this, that would be great as their 320k streaming is just $14.99 a month. I, of course, presume that's Canadian dollars.

The second is Streamlicensing, which is completely legitimate. I can afford the monthly fee for licensing as well as whatever expense I would have for the actual stream. Is anyone here using them currently? And if so, how satisfied are you?

And the third is Mixcloud, which does pay licensing to Sound Exchange. Does that mean all licensing is covered, both for performance and publishing?

Any advice anyone can give is greatly appreciated.

Well, Sonixcast is a loophole in Canadian law. That's why it's allowed to exist. If the server is located in Canada and you identify as a Canadian company or Canadian radio station, it is perfectly legal. In fact, it's very easy just to do it yourself (you dont really need sonixcast). Some stream providers offer radio streaming in Canada and you can get SOCAN licensing for $100 per year. I've tested SonixCast and they are a great company. There servers work well and there support team is great.

Streamlicensing is another option, but i believe that they stopped paying Sound Exchange royalties. Also, they don't pay SOCAN anymore. I think it would be easier for you to put your server in Canada and use SOCAN or use SONIXCAST. Better to not get involved in the mess that is USA royalties.

I've never heard of Mixcloud to be perfectly honest with you.

Another option could be Radionomy, but the'res been some confusion there for royalty coverage there. Just check the Radionomy forum and you will see what i mean.

Another other option could be Live365 who just recently re-launched and offers streaming with royalty coverage.

Hope this helped.

I am with Streamlicensing and they do a good job but are not cheap (is anybody). With the new royalty rates my once $38 monthly fee has doubled to $78. If you find a cheaper alternative let me know.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom