• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Espn 1210

So, what's up with the nonstop music with no liners?

Could be a format change but also might be a technical problem that resulted in a loss of the STL where the station has a music fill segment set to play from the transmitter.

OK, Everyone:
I have been told that the three station shuffle has been completed, in whole or in part, and in amazing record time.

City ------- From ----- To
----------------------------------
Kendall -- 1020 ----- 990
Miami ------ 990 --- 1040
Boynton - 1040 --- 1020

Actualidadradio.com is only promoting 1040.

Last edited:
I don't follow??
All three stations played "musical chairs".
Another way to understand it is here:

Frequency -- Old City ---- New City
---- 990 ------- Miami ------ Kendall
-- 1020 ------ Kendall ----- Boynton
-- 1040 ----- Boynton ----- Miami

The stations in Kendall and Miami have both increased their signals,
especially the one in Miami, and the one in Boynton is a tad weaker,
but who cares about Boynton.

Last edited:
All three stations played "musical chairs".
Another way to understand it is here:

Frequency -- Old City ---- New City
---- 990 ------- Miami ------ Kendall
-- 1020 ------ Kendall ----- Boynton
-- 1040 ----- Boynton ----- Miami

The stations in Kendall and Miami have both increased their signals,
especially the one in Miami, and the one in Boynton is a tad weaker,
but who cares about Boynton.

I'm not in the market, but I also don't understand. Wasn't the original post about a station at 1210? Your "answer" is about 990, 1020 and 1040. Huh?

I'm not in the market, but I also don't understand.
Wasn't the original post about a station at 1210?
Your "answer" is about 990, 1020 and 1040. Huh?
Because I have been told that 990 is now running ESPN Deportes (in addition to or in lieu of 1210)
and I suspect that the original and ensuing messages, including mine, are all connected,
although 1210 is not co-owned with the other three..

Last edited:
I'm not in the market, but I also don't understand. Wasn't the original post about a station at 1210? Your "answer" is about 990, 1020 and 1040. Huh?

I don't follow??

Could be a format change but also might be a technical problem that resulted in a loss of the STL where the station has a music fill segment set to play from the transmitter.

Yes, CT Listener and JohntheRogger, I am/was confused as well . . . BUT it is a "format" change, NOT a "technical problem" as to why you are hearing music on 1210 WNMA.

Let me see if I can clear this up.

1210 WNMA is a Multicultural Broadcasting station. It was political hispanic, with a music mix of hit English/Spanish pop during its unsold hours. It was co-located in the same building with its sister station, WJCC 1700. WEXY 1520, its other sister, was and is still always on its own, in Wilton Manors.

1210 moved back to its transmitter site, and carried ESPN Deportes. MRBI lost its ESPN affiliate status. Radio Actualidad swooped in and got the broadcasting rights to ESPN Deportes for 990 AM WMYM. Before it's home on MRBI's 1210 WNMA, ESPN Desportes was on 1450 WOCN. It moved from 1450 to 1210 because 1210 offered better coverage to the Miami Spanish market, and now, 990 offers better coverage than 1210. I can't pick up 1210 in car or home (even with a whip antenna) or find any online feed to confirm what they're doing as place holder, so, don't know what music they're playing, but I'm sure its some type of English/Spanish hit pop mix (that JohntheRogger was asking about that started the thread).

990 AM WMYM Doral was Radio Disney and it went dark. Radio Actualidad purchased it and started piping in its "Radio Actualidad" format on 990. The format's "home station" is 1040 AM WLVJ Boyton Beach, with it also being carried on 1020 WURN Kendall (way west of Miami). "Radio Actualidad" is also heard on 107.1 "WURN-FM" Key Largo (its a full service station, not a translator).

There was chatter on other boards that it seemed "off" to simulcast "Radio Actualidad" on 990 AM, considering it covers the SAME area as 1020 AM Kendall. So, the format was heard on four stations . . . all Radio Actualidad properties.

1040 WLVJ-AM

1020 WURN-AM

107.1 WURN-FM

990 WMYM-AM

So, to clear up that last post about the flipping: What Radio Actualidad did was flip the cities of license with their three AMs.

1040 WLVJ moved FROM Boyton Beach to Kendall

1020 WURN moved FROM Kendall to Boyton Beach

990 WMYM moved FROM Doral to Kendall.

1020, the weaker station, is NOW in Boyton. Radio Actualidad's main market is Miami/Kendall, and NOW 1040 and 990 have stronger signals . . . and even tweaked increased their signals because of the move. 1040 & 1020 continue to be "Radio Actualidad" and the move, between the two, allows the format to blanket the Quad-county Treasure Coast/South Florida Market from Palm Beach all the way to the tip of the panhandle). Note, "Radio Actualidad" always ID's itself as 1040 AM (with 1020 and 107.1 simply carrying 1040).

Because 990's coverage is inside the "blanket" created by 1040/1020, AND that MRBI's lost their ESPN affiliation, 990 seen an opportunity and picked up ESPN.

NOW, for some off-topic history about 1040 WLVJ . . . and on-topic about 1210 WNMA . . .

As for 1040 WLVJ . . . it was WLVJ 640 Family Values Radio up in Royal Palm Beach (with transmitter in Boyton Beach). THEN, James Crytal Radio bought 640 and 1040 WYFX the Blues/R&B/Gospel/Jazz outlet "Foxy 1040." JCR swapped 1040 and 640, made 640, at the time, an "Unforgettable" MOR station (with Chuck Zink and Joyce Kaufman as its hosts) and 1040 became "Family Values Radio."

Then, on the verge of bankruptcy, JCR sold 1040 WLVJ to Radio Actualidad, which was already on-air, with the weaker 1020 WURN signal in Kendall. Once they got hold of 1040 WLVJ (the stronger signal in Boyton), they began identifying as 1040 Radio Actualidad, instead of 1020 Radio Actualidad.

And BACK to 1210 AM WNMA and the question which started the thread . . . again, its an MRBI property, with 1700 WJCC and WEXY 1520 as its sister stations. WJCC is a 24/7 brokered Haitian operation with studios in North Miami on 163rd just off I-95. Whoever brought the time runs the station and programs it, with MRBI only providing engineering assistance. WEXY is still in Wilton Manors (both studio and transmitters), MRBI still runs it and those employees are MRBI employees. As for 1210, it was run and brokered in blocks directly by MRBI, not a third party. What's happening NOW, since its not with ESPN anymore, is anyone's guess.

Hope that clears it up.

Last edited:
The format's "home station" is 1040 AM WLVJ Boyton Beach, with it also being carried on 1020 WURN Kendall (way west of Miami).

Excellent overall summary. One little note: Kendall is due south of the western half of the "old" pre-Miami Dade city of Miami. It is SW of South Miami, North of Goulds and East of the Everglades. "Far west of Miami" is the Everglades.

Last edited:
Yes, CT Listener and JohntheRogger, I am/was confused as well . . .
Let me see if I can clear this up.
That was extremely informative.
I cannot believe how you were able to come up with all of that in just a few very short minutes.
You even brought 640, 1520, 1700, and 107.1 onto the table.
Thank you.

BTW...If any talk format was carried on 107.1, it was only on a digital sub-channel.

Actualidad-ly, with their complicated directional patterns, I am not sure whether 990 is as good as, or better than 1210 at night, but the later definitely has the day advantage, if we include Broward county.

Last edited:
BTW, I was kind of hoping that someone would ask WHO the station on 1040 has such a deep null toward...LOL

Sorry for adding to the confusion, but how could they change the COL from Boynton to Miami on 1040? The 1040 signal doesn't get anywhere near Miami, especially at night.

Sorry for adding to the confusion, but how could they change the COL from Boynton to Miami on 1040? The 1040 signal doesn't get anywhere near Miami, especially at night.

The 1040 transmitter site is moving from Palm Beach County to the WMYM 990 site in west Dade near the turnpike.

1020 is moving from the Redlands area to the old 1040 site in Palm Beach County

990 is moving from the west Dade site to the old 1020 site near the Redlands

Whew!

The 'new' 1040 will run 50kw day and 5k night providing strong coverage of Miami and Fort Lauderdale day and night.

1040 is the signal benefiting the most from this move, the others will be strongest within their respective counties.

Sorry for adding to the confusion, but how could they change the COL from Boynton to Miami on 1040?
I do not believe that any stations physically moved.
A Miami station changed frequencies from 990 to 1040, without moving one meter.
One in Kendall changed from 1020 to 990, without moving.
A third, in Boynton Beach, changed from 1040 to 1020, without moving.
These were all frequency changes, not geographical moves.

Last edited:

The daytime map you refer to shows useful coverage much of Broward and the portion of Dade north of Kendall .

At night, the coverage will be much of the eastern populated part of Broward but nearly none of Dade.

Given the man-made noise level in Miami, a 10 MV/m signal is needed to be usable on AM. The innermost radio-locator contour is 5 MV/m. And at night, the co-channel interference on that facility will likely make the usable coverage to all be well inside Broward County.

Of course, that facility moved to a different frequency while the 1040 station moved to 1020 in Miami at the same site where the previous occupant of 1020 used to live. It will be a good Miami signal, but not so good for Ft Lauderdale.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom