• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

96.5 Rumor Mill

Perhaps we'll have an FM station that will play vintage/classical radio advertisements followed by the current adverts of today.
Now that would be a hit!!!!! (sociologically speaking) <grins>.......BTW, the AOR stations played from either the Billboard/R&R Hot
(100) Album Charts......

Last edited:
Well, I'll say it again. Why drive all the 18-34 listeners away from 95.7 on January 1? Then on January 10 or some other future date, you hope they'll come back to 96.5? I have never heard of a radio owner blowing up a format on one station, then a few weeks later putting it on another station. I've heard of moving a format from one station to another immediately, especially if the two signals are not equal. But then listeners are told repeatedly to switch their radio dials. Usually both stations simulcast for a while as listeners get used to the new dial position.

Maybe you move an older-skewing format to a lesser signal you own and relaunch the better signal with something you think will get better demos and make more money. But both 95.7 and 96.5 are on the same tower in Missouri City. They're both at 1919 feet above average terrain. 95.7 is at 95,000 watts, 96.5 at 97,000 watts, with virtually the same coverage of the market. There is no reason to want all the car radios, office radios and store radios to have to find another Top 40 station on Jan. 1 when KKHH switches to adult hits. Then you hope days or weeks later all those 18-34 listeners will find their way to a new Top 40 station on 96.5.

Your assumption is that CHR will be on 96.5. That assumption could be wrong, and the former 95.7 staff may be on the street looking for work.

Well, I'll say it again. Why drive all the 18-34 listeners away from 95.7 on January 1? Then on January 10 or some other future date, you hope they'll come back to 96.5? I have never heard of a radio owner blowing up a format on one station, then a few weeks later putting it on another station. I've heard of moving a format from one station to another immediately, especially if the two signals are not equal. But then listeners are told repeatedly to switch their radio dials. Usually both stations simulcast for a while as listeners get used to the new dial position.

Maybe you move an older-skewing format to a lesser signal you own and relaunch the better signal with something you think will get better demos and make more money. But both 95.7 and 96.5 are on the same tower in Missouri City. They're both at 1919 feet above average terrain. 95.7 is at 95,000 watts, 96.5 at 97,000 watts, with virtually the same coverage of the market. There is no reason to want all the car radios, office radios and store radios to have to find another Top 40 station on Jan. 1 when KKHH switches to adult hits. Then you hope days or weeks later all those 18-34 listeners will find their way to a new Top 40 station on 96.5.

If 96.5 was flipped to The Spot, it wouldn't catch anyone's attention due to similarities in the formats. If Hot 95-7 was rebranded to Amp, no one would notice.

Assuming Mix flips to CHR, Houston will have 2 newly formatted stations as opposed to 2 that are minimally distinguishable from the prior day. It makes sense.

Additionally, the general public has no idea these 2 stations are co-owned. To the average listener, Houston will (may) have 2 new stations.

For what it's worth, Mix, like Hot prior to the flip is airing little to no local ads. Probably another tip that something is up at Mix.

Well, I'll say it again. Why drive all the 18-34 listeners away from 95.7 on January 1? Then on January 10 or some other future date, you hope they'll come back to 96.5?

Keep in mind that Hot 95.7 already shared listeners with KHMX and KRBE. Those listeners, although displaced from 95.7, are still going to be checking 96.5, even if they initially went to 104.1. If and when a 96.5 format flip happens, listeners will soon discover it.

From a cluster strategy standpoint, there's something to be said for keeping Mix a Hot AC.

The only difference between a CHR and a Hot AC these days is the gold category. Unlike 26 years ago when Mix launched, the currents aren't very different. Today's adult women aren't afraid of the music on the pop chart. Gone are the days where you marketed an AC as a safe haven from all the music your kids listened to.

Taking a detour around the Twilight Zone here, what are the call letters to that NEW FM station (98.7 FM) that's in Sugar Land, TX?
And, what is the power tower height, etc.? There is some skip and fade way over here in Pearland/Friendswood/Webster. I believe, if my Vietnamese
is correct, the morning news is called "Good Morning Vietnam Houston!!!!" Ciao!

Taking a detour around the Twilight Zone here, what are the call letters to that NEW FM station (98.7 FM) that's in Sugar Land, TX?
And, what is the power tower height, etc.? There is some skip and fade way over here in Pearland/Friendswood/Webster. I believe, if my Vietnamese
is correct, the morning news is called "Good Morning Vietnam Houston!!!!" Ciao!

Isn't that K254BZ?

Isn't that K254BZ?

Now that rings a bell...perhaps I must do more research with the FCC for sure.
I wonder if Jimmy Wah (the fictional guy from "Good Morning Vietnam" who ran
the bar in the film feature is the manager at ?K254BZ? Or, is it Jimmy Tran??

They do run a reasonably reasonable "tight ship." Great news presentation if
ya ask me!!!

Ciao!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom