• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

96.1 fm translator for 1110 now on the air

Ryan Williams

Star Participant
Salem's License to Cover application was filed with the FCC today. The listening area is Alvin, Clear Lake, part of Pearland and vicinity.

Anyone heard it yet?

1st, 96.1 went on the air at noon yesterday. 103.3 should happen before the end of the month.

Didn't notice any new disturbance to KBLT in midtown last night, though Rice will probably lose a bit of their southern coverage. The two transmitters are about 20 miles apart.

I still haven't heard it. I guess I will hear it when I travel into that area.

Used to listen to 1110 occasionally when I lived in League City, and other than being a daytimer, if you went out of their main northbound lobe around critical hours, KTEK was liable to get stomped on by either Omaha or Dallas. It always came in fine at my house right on the League City/Friendswood border, but I remember having quite a few problems hearing it as close as Highway 3 in League City. I imagine this translator should solve those issues, and of course be on the air 24/7.

Nothing in Cypress or Katy, the frequency is blank except for weak KAGG.

Nothing in Cypress or Katy, the frequency is blank except for weak KAGG.

That will change if and when K241CO gets on the air, rebroadcasting KSHJ 1430. Transmitter near the intersection of 290 and Beltway 8. 250 watts at 35 meters, sharply directional signal to the west.

The KBLT signal pretty much dies around 290 and Hollister, although there are some brief sweet spots along Beltway 8 north of 290. No sign of the new KTEK translator bothering KBLT near downtown.

Isn't KNTH a talk radio? Why would they want to have a TALK station on FM? Maybe a format change coming soon? What are the call letters of 103.3? And will LA RAZA 103.3 affect it in any way?

Isn't KNTH a talk radio? Why would they want to have a TALK station on FM?

They want to be on FM because even a translator offers better quality and better night coverage than poor AMs like that one.

And, of course, the big reason: nearly all the audience in Houston is on FM now. Houston has among the lowest AM total shares of any PPM market.

Last edited:
Isn't KNTH a talk radio? Why would they want to have a TALK station on FM? Maybe a format change coming soon? What are the call letters of 103.3? And will LA RAZA 103.3 affect it in any way?

There will be NO format change.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom