• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KBAY/San Jose Becomes Classic Hits ''Bay FM'

It sounds like the last incarnation of Big 103.7 with just maybe more 90's.

Been sampling Bay FM and it just seems like the same stuff. Rinse, repeat.
And by same stuff, I mean nothing special.

I wish them luck though. :)

You'd think in Markets #4 and #36, there's room for a Classic Hits station. Especially since the format performs so well in NYC (WCBS-FM), LA (KRTH), Dallas (KLUV), Philadelphia (WOGL), etc. Chicago even has competing Classic Hits stations, owned by Cumulus (WLS-FM) and CBS (WJMK). On the other hand, there are no Classic Hits stations in some large markets, such as Washington or Atlanta. In Boston, WROR usually leads the market. It is identified as Classic Hits. But it's really a pop-oriented Classic Rock station, playing AC/DC and Zeppelin but not Michael Jackson or Madonna.

In the last few years, several owners have tried Classic Hits in SF and gave up, CBS 106.9 KFRC and iHeart 103.7 KOSF. I suppose the theory is make KBAY a Classic Hits station, and if it can do a bit better in the San Francisco market, it will make more money. That might be better than keeping KBAY as an AC station serving San Jose, but not getting many listeners in SF, since those listeners can hear KOIT and KISQ better than KBAY.

I suppose the theory is make KBAY a Classic Hits station, and if it can do a bit better in the San Francisco market, it will make more money.

It may be easier to appeal to local advertisers in San Jose than attempting to reach agencies in San Francisco. Very similar to country.

Country music can make a lot of money as a local format.

You'd think in Markets #4 and #36, there's room for a Classic Hits station. Especially since the format performs so well in NYC (WCBS-FM), LA (KRTH), Dallas (KLUV), Philadelphia (WOGL), etc. Chicago even has competing Classic Hits stations, owned by Cumulus (WLS-FM) and CBS (WJMK). On the other hand, there are no Classic Hits stations in some large markets, such as Washington or Atlanta. In Boston, WROR usually leads the market. It is identified as Classic Hits. But it's really a pop-oriented Classic Rock station, playing AC/DC and Zeppelin but not Michael Jackson or Madonna.

In the last few years, several owners have tried Classic Hits in SF and gave up, CBS 106.9 KFRC and iHeart 103.7 KOSF. I suppose the theory is make KBAY a Classic Hits station, and if it can do a bit better in the San Francisco market, it will make more money. That might be better than keeping KBAY as an AC station serving San Jose, but not getting many listeners in SF, since those listeners can hear KOIT and KISQ better than KBAY.

I've never thought of 94.5 as a "Bay Area" station. Always been a great South Bay station though. I agree, if they're going to make money with the format, it will be in San Jose, not San Francisco.| Car radio listening aside, the station is difficult to get north of San Mateo but this isn't anything new.

I'm the station a shot. I think they might have done themselves in by changing the name. If they had kept the "legendary" K-Bay brand it might have been okay. Anyone remember B94.5? (are there any airchecks of that 2002 era?) While this station doesn't have an HD channel, if they did, I could imagine a rebroadcast of sister station KKIQ or a jockless version of the old AC format on KBAY HD2.
I'm interested on who will join Jona Denz-Hamilton on the dj lineup on the 9th.

Bruce also spent just shy of 20 years at Susquehanna and Cumulus in Indianapolis, first at WFMS and later at WGLD/WJJK as Bruce Elscott.

Final line-up:
Bruce Scott - Mornings
Jona Denz-Hamilton - Middays
Kirk Peffer - Afternoons (formerly KEZR afternoons)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom