• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Buh-bye, Taylor Swift. What to do with GMR artists come January 1st?

Wonder if Mr. Coloff is paying GMR or taking his chances? But everything he said in that article is the straight-up truth. Indeed, to court it's going.

Meanwhile the guidance I'm getting is that GMR is wanting about 30% of the average of a station's ASCAP/BMI fees. Let's say one is $200, the second $150, so 175/3 =$58.33
Better just pay it.

Wonder if Mr. Coloff is paying GMR or taking his chances?

Here's what he says:

"then business dictates that I be diligent in removing any and all of THEIR songs from my playlist, so that a fine does not financially destroy my broadcast station."

Here's what he says:

"then business dictates that I be diligent in removing any and all of THEIR songs from my playlist, so that a fine does not financially destroy my broadcast station."

But then there's the problem where GMR doesn't disclose their repertory until you sign with them, as Coloff says:

"And if that same anyone won’t provide a list of THEIR songs and refuses to inform my station the titles and artists of the songs I must get rid of, to keep from getting fined $150,000 for EACH inadvertant or accidental play, then business dictates that that anyone needs to be prosecuted for running a scam."

The Coloff family has eleven in northern Iowahttp://coloffmedia.com/ so they have more resources to pay lawyers. A ma-n-pa single station should just pay the GMR extortion. But Coloff describes it perfectly.

Odd thing is that on a certain level, I can see where performers should get a cut of royalties, not just composers. It's GMR's business tactics that are so abhorrent.

I can see where performers should get a cut of royalties, not just composers. It's GMR's business tactics that are so abhorrent.

There's an easy way for performers to get a cut of the royalties: Write the songs they sing. A lot of performers do that, in all genres. Some are GMR writers.

But yes, the tactics are abhorrent, and that's why this will ultimately go to court. The question is does a small radio owner in Iowa want to bear the burden of that.

How to de-GeRM your playlist

Go to GMR's website: http://globalmusicrights.com/ then click on "Search" at the top right.

Type in the full title of the song. (Don't just stop if you see no results for your song after typing the first word as the GMR database doesn't return all results. Be safe; just type the entire title.)

If there are any artists listed in BLUE below the song title, these are GMR artists and so the song should be pulled from your playlist.

Why there isn't a list is beyond me. I think they want to make it as hard as possible.

I don't think this process is foolproof to avoid playing GMR product but at least its something...if anyone else wants to chime in here, feel free.

I did a search on Taylor Swift, and apparently she's not a GMR writer? Referring to the topic of this thread.

I did a few song titles that TS performed, and no, I haven't found a match yet. Surprised.

I haven't found any matches so far from the Beatles Lennon-McCartney catalog, but "Imagine" by John Lennon has his name in blue.

I did a few song titles that TS performed, and no, I haven't found a match yet. Surprised.

I haven't found any matches so far from the Beatles Lennon-McCartney catalog, but "Imagine" by John Lennon has his name in blue.

So what was the original source for Swift being involved in this? Fake industry news?

I was starting to think I was disseminating "alternative facts" but Swift is mentioned in this earlier article re: GMR v RMLC from Variety:

Yep and I saw her name in another blog on this subject, so you may be right. But she doesn't come up on the search on the GMR site, and she's not included in the latest database I received. So who knows?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom