• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

can anyone here identify this station for me?

Short-wave.info shows 9485 khz at 2130 as being a Voice of America relay from Sao Tome, Africa. The language is Bambara, a language commonly spoken by the people of the country of Mali in Western Africa.

WOW. I was just freaking out over having picked up Radio Nacional da Amazonia @ 11780, 4500 miles from me.
but Africa? is that even possible on my gear?

WOW. I was just freaking out over having picked up Radio Nacional da Amazonia @ 11780, 4500 miles from me.
but Africa? is that even possible on my gear?

Until Jan. 31, when the station leaves shortwave forever, you should be able to hear Radio Australia just fine in the mornings on 31 meters (the 9 MHz band). That's the other side of the world, but it's no big deal when you're using shortwave and high power.

I see in a later post that you've just gotten into shortwave. You'll be amazed at what you can hear with very basic equipment, but sadly, you're saying "hello" just as shortwave broadcasting is saying "goodbye." You should have heard the bands just 20 or so years ago.

Yes...the SW bands were packed with European and African broadcasters 20+ years ago. And all of them were beaming to North America for at least one hour of broadcasting. It's been well over 10 years since the BBC World Service stopped providing SW broadcasts to North America. Been several years since Netherlands went off entirely...they too had a strong signal into North America on 49m at night (from a Netherlands Antilles relay).

Yes...the SW bands were packed with European and African broadcasters 20+ years ago. And all of them were beaming to North America for at least one hour of broadcasting. It's been well over 10 years since the BBC World Service stopped providing SW broadcasts to North America. Been several years since Netherlands went off entirely...they too had a strong signal into North America on 49m at night (from a Netherlands Antilles relay).

Don't forget Swiss Radio International, Radio Prague, Radio Budapest and Radio RSA (South Africa) -- great international broadcasters with a personality and warmth that helped them smooth over the ideological differences their listeners may have had.with the governments the stations were speaking for. As a Cold War kid, I knew that Radio Berlin International and Radio Sofia were peddling the same social and political philosophies as Radio Budapest and Radio Prague, but Budapest and Prague did it with a much lighter, human touch. Now, of course, I even miss the hard-liners.

Don't forget Swiss Radio International, Radio Prague, Radio Budapest and Radio RSA (South Africa) -- great international broadcasters with a personality and warmth that helped them smooth over the ideological differences their listeners may have had.with the governments the stations were speaking for. As a Cold War kid, I knew that Radio Berlin International and Radio Sofia were peddling the same social and political philosophies as Radio Budapest and Radio Prague, but Budapest and Prague did it with a much lighter, human touch. Now, of course, I even miss the hard-liners.

I am wishing I had access to a radio when I was a kid. seems like it would have been fun listening to all the stations I should have picked up from the coast of maine in the 70's.

Until Jan. 31, when the station leaves shortwave forever, you should be able to hear Radio Australia just fine in the mornings on 31 meters (the 9 MHz band). That's the other side of the world, but it's no big deal when you're using shortwave and high power.

I see in a later post that you've just gotten into shortwave. You'll be amazed at what you can hear with very basic equipment, but sadly, you're saying "hello" just as shortwave broadcasting is saying "goodbye." You should have heard the bands just 20 or so years ago.

I caught Radio Australia on 15240 this morning (0812UTC). strong but noisy signal. still it was cool hearing the broadcast from so far away. Thank you for pointing me towards it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom