• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Could CHR absorb Hot AC's audience?

tall_guy1

Star Participant
With changes in Hot AC so that almost all of it is CHR-based, I am wondering if CHRs could adjust their playlist a bit to pick up their audience. What they could do is play a lot of CHR songs that charted on Hot AC charts (which is a lot these days), and only exclude Hot AC exclusives. I think audiences would resonate towards it. For example, a sample hour could be:

Blow Your Mind (Mwa)--Dua Lipa
Photograph--Ed Sheeran
Don't Wanna Know--Maroon 5 ft. Kendrick Lamar
I took a Pill in Ibiza--Mike Pozner

Don't Let Me Down--Chainsmokers ft. Daya
In Love with a Girl--Gavin Degraw
All Time Low--John Bellion
Night Changes--One Direction
24K Magic-Bruno Mars

Love Me Now--John Legend
7 Years--Lucas Grahm
Hailee Steinfeld--Starving
X Ambassadors--Unsteady
Yeah!--Usher

In many markets where there is a CHR and hot AC, the CHR is higher-rated, so no real big benefit. Also, CHR isn't as rap-heavy as it was a few years ago, so both formats are as close to each other as ever. The sample hour listed could be a CHR that dayparts or a hot AC. How many people would know the difference?

In many markets where there is a CHR and hot AC, the CHR is higher-rated, so no real big benefit. Also, CHR isn't as rap-heavy as it was a few years ago, so both formats are as close to each other as ever. The sample hour listed could be a CHR that dayparts or a hot AC. How many people would know the difference?

I don't know, in Kansas City for example, and others I have seen, the Hot AC is above the leading CHR (KMXV) by sometimes 2 points in PPM numbers, though I don't know about specific demos.

Well, as a listener, you may not think Hot AC and Top 40/CHR are that different. But they are different where it counts. A Hot AC station will go back to 2000 for some titles and play a few more past hits each hour than a Top 40. Some even go back before 2000. Top 40 stations rarely go back more than a few years for past hits.

A Hot AC won't have as long a playlist of currents as a Top 40. After all, someone in her 30s doesn't want, or can absorb, as much new music as someone in her 20s. A Hot AC will delete some current titles because they don't fit the station's overall sound.

A Hot AC will likely have a less intense nighttime show. It isn't looking for teens at night, as a Top 40 wants. Yes Top 40 is really concerned about 20-something women, not teens, during the day. But at night, since there are more teens available, it will target those teens to build its overall numbers. Hot AC stations don't do that.

It's interesting to note that in LA, iHeart has a Top 40 (KIIS), a Hot AC (KBIG) and an AC (KOST). Yes, there is a lot of overlap. But KIIS is youngest in orientation, KBIG is for 30-somethings and maybe a few 40-somethings. And KOST is for 40-somethings and 50-somethings. That's not to say a 50 year old woman may be listening to Ryan Seacrest or a 20-something listens to KOST sometimes to unwind. But each station has its function.

Well, as a listener, you may not think Hot AC and Top 40/CHR are that different. But they are different where it counts. A Hot AC station will go back to 2000 for some titles and play a few more past hits each hour than a Top 40. Some even go back before 2000. Top 40 stations rarely go back more than a few years for past hits.

A Hot AC won't have as long a playlist of currents as a Top 40. After all, someone in her 30s doesn't want, or can absorb, as much new music as someone in her 20s. A Hot AC will delete some current titles because they don't fit the station's overall sound.

A Hot AC will likely have a less intense nighttime show. It isn't looking for teens at night, as a Top 40 wants. Yes Top 40 is really concerned about 20-something women, not teens, during the day. But at night, since there are more teens available, it will target those teens to build its overall numbers. Hot AC stations don't do that.

It's interesting to note that in LA, iHeart has a Top 40 (KIIS), a Hot AC (KBIG) and an AC (KOST). Yes, there is a lot of overlap. But KIIS is youngest in orientation, KBIG is for 30-somethings and maybe a few 40-somethings. And KOST is for 40-somethings and 50-somethings. That's not to say a 50 year old woman may be listening to Ryan Seacrest or a 20-something listens to KOST sometimes to unwind. But each station has its function.

CHRs will rotate powers about 110 and currents will be around 60% or more of the playlist.

Hot AC's will have powers rotating about 60 to 70 times a week, and currents will be about 30% to 40% of total plays.

AC will have betwen 20% and 30% current. The biggest ones will rotate in the 40 to 50 times a week range. There is a broad range, often depending on market competitors.

Looking at composition, the three LA stations you mentioned work out this way:

KOST is almost equal compostion with 25-34, 35-44, 45-54 and 55-64 with 25-34 being just a tiny bit larger than the other three using a multi-book average. KBIG is strongest in 35-44 with 25-34 and 35-54 being considerably less, and younger and older than that being insignificant. KIIS has its core in 25-34, with 35-44 next followed by 18-24 and 45-54. There is huge demographic overlap, but what sets them apart is the current vs. gold mix and the rotational speed as well as the style and mood of the presentation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom