• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any News Here Or Is The Site Dead?

I don't disagree with your assessment about the damage to legit LPFM operators. I can't imagine jeopardizing the license of the university's FM license over something stupid.

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but I’m not sure what university is jeopardizing their license....unless New Media Humanity Association LLC is part of a University......I know if it is a subsidiary or affiliated with a university; it’s not USF or UF-Gainesville. 90.1 WJUF-Inverness,FL is part of UF Radio Media and in this case, their signal is being severely compromised by the “23 watt” (sic) Power 90.1. Interesting enough on Power 90.1’s website their primary phone number is listed as their “sales office”, which to me sounds like they are actively seeking advertisers rather than sponsors. (Though they do mention sponsors elsewhere on the website).

At any rate.......right from their website is quoted below and no university affiliation is mentioned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Power 90.1 LPFM is owned and operated by New Media Humanity Association Inc. A local non-profit organization committed to helping local charities and public service organizations while serving the Brandon area and it's communities, providing musical entertainment, and important information to our new listeners.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Is anyone familiar with what charities they are working with? I would be hesitant to report their obvious violations, if they are connected with a legitimate charity, vital to helping people in the Brandon area.

You know, I found it interesting. I went to a la quinta on waters avenue in Tampa and still could hear power 90.1 pretty well. If they are 23 watts there is no way I should hear them like 20 something miles away that clear.

If you believe a station is breaking the law, you have to complain.
No, he does not have to complain.
He should complain if the station is interfering with his enjoyment of a station on the band.
If he is not a victim, he cannot claim damage.
I have complained about undocumented stations on first adjacent channels to documented ones.

He should complain if the station is interfering with his enjoyment of a station on the band.
If he is not a victim, he cannot claim damage.
I have complained about undocumented stations on first adjacent channels to documented ones.

Speaking for myself, I should complain then, as the alleged 23 watt LPFM out of Brandon, does in fact interfere with my enjoyment of listening to WJUF Inverness when I’m in eastern Hernando county. Today I was in the parking lot of the Lacotchee,FL post office *(8.5 miles north, north, east of Dade City) which is about 2.5 miles from being in Hernando and county. 90.1 WJUF (21,000 watts) and the alleged 23 watt LPFM from Brandon was interfering and overriding WJUF from time to time. That location is 36.7 miles from the LPFM’s tower and 28.2 from WJUF’s tower.

Thank you for the encouragement Ai4i to finally make a complaint. (I have already left a voice mail to the engineer of WUFT who also does the maintaince for WJUF).

Austin Grace, you are correct, that Power 90.1 really gets their signal to travel a long way. I guess when a station runs at least 10 times their permitted power that can happen!

If he wants action, he has to complain to the FCC. The FCC doesn't read message boards.

The OP was surprised the FCC hadn't looked into these violations, but how would they know?

It is the responsibility of every citizen to report a station they believe is operating illegally. As a Broadcast Engineer with over 50 years experience and who has passed voluntary FCC inspections many times, it makes me boiling mad to see a station thumb their nose at the FCC. These operators need to be stopped.

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but I’m not sure what university is jeopardizing their license....unless New Media Humanity Association LLC is part of a University......I know if it is a subsidiary or affiliated with a university; it’s not USF or UF-Gainesville. 90.1 WJUF-Inverness,FL is part of UF Radio Media and in this case, their signal is being severely compromised by the “23 watt” (sic) Power 90.1. Interesting enough on Power 90.1’s website their primary phone number is listed as their “sales office”, which to me sounds like they are actively seeking advertisers rather than sponsors. (Though they do mention sponsors elsewhere on the website).

At any rate.......right from their website is quoted below and no university affiliation is mentioned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Power 90.1 LPFM is owned and operated by New Media Humanity Association Inc. A local non-profit organization committed to helping local charities and public service organizations while serving the Brandon area and it's communities, providing musical entertainment, and important information to our new listeners.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Is anyone familiar with what charities they are working with? I would be hesitant to report their obvious violations, if they are connected with a legitimate charity, vital to helping people in the Brandon area.

I was agreeing with the assessment that operation illegally gives LPFM a bad name. I was also referring to "me" doing something stupid and jeopardizing WLSL-LP's license. Sorry for not being more clear.

You meant Lacoochee. :)

It is the responsibility of every citizen to report a station they believe is operating illegally. As a Broadcast Engineer with over 50 years experience and who has passed voluntary FCC inspections many times, it makes me boiling mad to see a station thumb their nose at the FCC. These operators need to be stopped.

I wholeheartedly agree with this!

It is the responsibility of every citizen to report a station they believe is operating illegally.
What if they enjoy the station?
I reported a licensed station operating out of compliance, and the commission's callgirl,
I mean call-taker, suggested that I did not know what I was talking about
and that I should report the problem to the station operator.

What if they enjoy the station?
I reported a licensed station operating out of compliance, and the commission's callgirl,
I mean call-taker, suggested that I did not know what I was talking about
and that I should report the problem to the station operator.

What kind of compliance issue? Now my curiosity is peaked,

And if you are 1000 percent over power the commission has acted just like a pirate operator. A license doesn't mean you can do whatever you want, especially if an lpfm wants to be a full class station.

The station that I reported was an AM airport TIR station that to the best of my knowledge is still about 500Hz off frequency. The callgirl, I mean call-taker asked what equipment I used, and I told her it was an analogue radio, selective enough that I even knew which way they were off, heterodyning with other 1670s. Her response was that the airport uses much more sophisticated equipment than I had and that I should have my receiver serviced. That station was and likely still QRMs several 1670s around it from the FLL airport. I do not appreciate my experience being questioned as such and that event caused me to lose respect for the office that she, of the Federal Castleguard Commission, misrepresented.

Last edited:
i heart Possible Format Change?

Listening to Tampa Top 40 Hot 101.5 WPOI 90's r&b and top 40 oldies have shown up on the playlist with great frequency
lately.
Could iHeart be doing a change like what happened to a Miami station?
Testing the waters here for listener feedback perhaps?

Listening to Tampa Top 40 Hot 101.5 WPOI 90's r&b and top 40 oldies have shown up on the playlist with great frequency
lately.
Could iHeart be doing a change like what happened to a Miami station?
Testing the waters here for listener feedback perhaps?
WPOI is a Cox Media Group station, not iHeartMedia.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom